Bullnose Forums

Poncho Loco build thread, yes here it is ...

Mystery ECM in a carburetor truck?

My daughter rolled up her sleeves, done with HS now, and insisted that I pull Pancho Loco up to the work area with the tractor. Then she stripped the interior out of her new truck. Brothers helped. Pancho Loco has a carb on his 351, a nice new one.

But we found this box under the driver seat when we stripped the interior. i searched on the E2VF number and got a fleabay hit for "1982 Ford Pickup truck ECM 4X4 A/T F150 V8 351W E2VF-12A649"

We thought Poncho was a 1984. But even if he's an 82, did Ford even do EFI before the Bricknose?

MysteryBox.jpg.26546503a12695b415d664c6bcd2dce5.jpg

MysteryBoxTopNumber.jpg.31b368ed77343072cd404a7b7c96e5b6.jpg

MysteryBoxLowerNumber.jpg.f9eaf3f2c5865ffd75aa4b3192cdde9f.jpg

PanchoCrop.jpg.7e43e7688289fbc1ec3ba6ea0954f499.jpg

Looking up the number in the Parts & Illustration guide the 12A649 comes back as a (Engine Electronic Control) Calibration Assembly.

The number on the bottom the 12A650 which I cant make out the prefix or the suffix to search more in depth, it how ever comes back as a Processor Assy. (Engine Electronic Control) - EEC III.

For a 351W it appears there is only one listing, 81/83 E-F-U100/250 w/California Emissions. Part Number E2PZ-12A650-B. The same 12A650 was used on 302s as well from 81/82 with California Emissions.

Looks like your truck is a California truck.

EEC_3.thumb.jpg.13ca981f762589076b42ca3e1a3c3e77.jpg

Looking up the number in the Parts & Illustration guide the 12A649 comes back as a (Engine Electronic Control) Calibration Assembly.

The number on the bottom the 12A650 which I cant make out the prefix or the suffix to search more in depth, it how ever comes back as a Processor Assy. (Engine Electronic Control) - EEC III.

For a 351W it appears there is only one listing, 81/83 E-F-U100/250 w/California Emissions. Part Number E2PZ-12A650-B. The same 12A650 was used on 302s as well from 81/82 with California Emissions.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. Our first Bullnose is also a Cali truck. Not much rust there, that's a plus.

I have a feeling all that EGR stuff might just fall off. Or it's already gone. No need for that in Texas. Again that varies by county, as we discovered with bonded title costs.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. Our first Bullnose is also a Cali truck. Not much rust there, that's a plus.

I have a feeling all that EGR stuff might just fall off. Or it's already gone. No need for that in Texas. Again that varies by county, as we discovered with bonded title costs.

Yep in Texas anything over 25 years old is safety only.

The emission systems has to visually be there at the time of inspection but we are talking about a vehicle that is over 25 years old where your average inspector is under 25 years old which means they wouldnt know what should or shouldnt be under the hood.

Many inspectors dont even care about the whole has to be there aspect. I know when I was a state inspector for nearly 7 years I didnt care about emission systems on what the state defines as a classic.

For my truck, its an '82 that was sold in Texas new and the emission systems it does have has already for the most part been removed outside of EGR and the air pump. But the converter was cut off years ago. With my new engine build, EGR is going, the air pump is going, and the distributor is going to be sent out to be recurved to the new engine specs. Only emission systems I plan on keeping is the PCV system and the EVAP system if the sniper stealth can handle operating with a EVAP system that purges the canister off idle.

Yep in Texas anything over 25 years old is safety only.

The emission systems has to visually be there at the time of inspection but we are talking about a vehicle that is over 25 years old where your average inspector is under 25 years old which means they wouldnt know what should or shouldnt be under the hood.

Many inspectors dont even care about the whole has to be there aspect. I know when I was a state inspector for nearly 7 years I didnt care about emission systems on what the state defines as a classic.

For my truck, its an '82 that was sold in Texas new and the emission systems it does have has already for the most part been removed outside of EGR and the air pump. But the converter was cut off years ago. With my new engine build, EGR is going, the air pump is going, and the distributor is going to be sent out to be recurved to the new engine specs. Only emission systems I plan on keeping is the PCV system and the EVAP system if the sniper stealth can handle operating with a EVAP system that purges the canister off idle.

I had an '82 351W w/an ECU under the seat just like that. And it was a 49-state truck, made in KC and sold in Kansas.

You can follow those wires and strip the whole ECU harness out. It is standalone from the rest of the truck, and obviously you don't need it with the new setup. But make sure you have a DS-II ignition system as the trucks with an ECU didn't.

What you have is the infamous EEC-III system. It would have originally had a Motorcraft 7200 VV feedback carburetor. If everything is reasonably intact, I would carefully remove it and put it aside as I am sure there are some people in strict emission enforcement areas who might need part or all of the system.

What you have is the infamous EEC-III system. It would have originally had a Motorcraft 7200 VV feedback carburetor. If everything is reasonably intact, I would carefully remove it and put it aside as I am sure there are some people in strict emission enforcement areas who might need part or all of the system.

Thank you sir, in a safe storage area it will go.

We dug thru papers inside and found reg back to 1992 with local owners. I suspect it's a Texas truck. Always dig in the glove box, is one of my mottos. I once bought an 04 SD with the cab off, mechanic quit, got a great deal but needed info from the owner. Found loan docs, called his old bank and county clerk, located the man.

The seat mounts are in excellent shape, no rust. My daughter is soaking the seat belts in detergent water now. They had otherworldly levels of grime ground into them, under the back bench. Somebody Line-X'd the inside of the cab, we found. Nice.

WIP1280.jpg.098b41655a32be4d06ac2a2b87774d0c.jpg

So, it's a 351, but not an H.O. model.

Does it have a 4V carb on it now?

Does it have a vacuum advance distributor and blue grommet dDiraSpark ignition module on the driver's inner fender?

If it still has the EEC distributor the timing is locked in limp home mode.

I don't know why I thought it had a new carb. Musta been another parts truck we looked at.

It's no wonder the PO burnt up a starter and gave up on the truck. Just look at that Rube Goldberg. It's a hideous monstrosity with wires and solenoids on it. Fortunately Texas cares naught for smog stuff if the vehicle is over 25 years old. I'm putting it all in a storage box and building a typical V8 runner like I did as a teen.

I called a local shop that restomods pickups and when I asked which carb they recommend he replied Holley fuel injection. I know that it works great but it's gotta be expensive. Have any of y'all had good luck with aftermarket carbs or plugNplay EFI?

Carb1280.jpg.7e25b262e81c261f84c3636360bea948.jpg

CarbSide.thumb.jpg.d3a397fc43f4a585c245732ded152166.jpg

CarbTop1280.jpg.0307a8c5ca8179baf4e95bc1cd6c9eaf.jpg

I don't know why I thought it had a new carb. Musta been another parts truck we looked at.

It's no wonder the PO burnt up a starter and gave up on the truck. Just look at that Rube Goldberg. It's a hideous monstrosity with wires and solenoids on it. Fortunately Texas cares naught for smog stuff if the vehicle is over 25 years old. I'm putting it all in a storage box and building a typical V8 runner like I did as a teen.

I called a local shop that restomods pickups and when I asked which carb they recommend he replied Holley fuel injection. I know that it works great but it's gotta be expensive. Have any of y'all had good luck with aftermarket carbs or plugNplay EFI?

That's why I asked what carb or manifold.

If you want to keep the 2V intake I'd go with a 2150.

They are stone simple and very reliable.

If you want to swap intakes just about any 600 CFM vacuum secondary carb will work.

Ask the hot rod shop if they have any takeoffs from cars they've slapped injection onto???? 😉