Bullnose Forums

Traction Lock rebuild

Many years ago I built a 9" Traction Lock, 4 pinion, 31 spline that was going to go in my 1966 Shelby. I had a good friend at the nearest Ford dealer who got my a 9" 31 spline Detroit Locker (what was supposed to be in the car). The 9" Traction Lock ended up being sold many years later.

I have done a few other limited slip units for people including a recent 10.25" Sterling.

FWIW, if you don't mind it's idiosyncrasies, and can afford one, get a Detroit Locker or a similar unit, under power it is essentially a locked rear end, in cornering it drives the slowest turning wheel which is where the fun starts, it will lock/unlock with a loud bang, and on the Shelby would jerk the car a bit sideways in doing so. That being said, Shelby was 2800 lbs, nearly 400 hp with a 3.89:1 gear. It was capable of lifting and carrying the front wheels with drag slicks on the back.

I used a Detroit Locker in my drag car with 9" wide slicks and 4.56 gear and love it at the strip, never had the car on the road so cant say how it is there. I figured if it did not work out for the track I would use it in my street car.

I also have a Lock Right locker in a 92" wheel base factory v8 car and as Bill pointed out can be fun once you know what it will do in turns.

In the rain you had to be on your game as it would go sideways even from a stop with out even trying and it has a 2.89 rear gear.

Dave ----

Many years ago I built a 9" Traction Lock, 4 pinion, 31 spline that was going to go in my 1966 Shelby. I had a good friend at the nearest Ford dealer who got my a 9" 31 spline Detroit Locker (what was supposed to be in the car). The 9" Traction Lock ended up being sold many years later.

I have done a few other limited slip units for people including a recent 10.25" Sterling.

FWIW, if you don't mind it's idiosyncrasies, and can afford one, get a Detroit Locker or a similar unit, under power it is essentially a locked rear end, in cornering it drives the slowest turning wheel which is where the fun starts, it will lock/unlock with a loud bang, and on the Shelby would jerk the car a bit sideways in doing so. That being said, Shelby was 2800 lbs, nearly 400 hp with a 3.89:1 gear. It was capable of lifting and carrying the front wheels with drag slicks on the back.

I used a Detroit Locker in my drag car with 9" wide slicks and 4.56 gear and love it at the strip, never had the car on the road so cant say how it is there. I figured if it did not work out for the track I would use it in my street car.

I also have a Lock Right locker in a 92" wheel base factory v8 car and as Bill pointed out can be fun once you know what it will do in turns.

In the rain you had to be on your game as it would go sideways even from a stop with out even trying and it has a 2.89 rear gear.

Dave ----

92" wheelbase and 2.89 rear, would we be talking about a Sunbeam Tiger maybe? Or a V8 swapped MGB?