Bullnose Forums

Painting Valve Covers

I got the driver's side off today, and the passenger side is loose but I need to remove some of the smog junk to get the cover out and off completely.

Here a pic of the drivers side head with the cover off - I was pretty happy with the condition of things - no sludge etc.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n98419/IMG_2683.jpg

It sounds primitive, probably because it is.... but what I used to get them off is I have a large wrench where I used the closed side of it and put it in between the block and the cover in a few different places, and gently pried up. The closed end of the wrench is quite large (like 2 1/2") so when prying it spreads the load out pretty well. I used that and kept whacking with my rubber mallet as well, and it eventually came off. Half the cork gasket is on the head, and half on the cover, not much goop afterall that I saw, but that's probably what caused the gasket to be split lengthways when I managed to pop the cover off.

Tomorrow, I'll get the other off and then prep them for paint!

If you look on the intake youll see a pad close to the valve cover lip front and rear. I use this lip to place a large screw driver and gently twist the screw driver to work the valve cover loose front to rear. This prevents hammering on the valve cover and in lots of cases your left with the majority if not all of the gasket material stuck to the valve cover.

If you decide to use silicone to attach the gasket to the valve cover I strongly recommend Ultra Black, it is formulated for use where it will come into contact with oil. Dont use the clear or the grey, the clear doesnt like oil and will yellow and let loose when oil hits it over time. The grey is a high strength bond something you dont want either as it will make it a pain when it comes time to replace gaskets down the road.

Thanks, good advice! I'm looking at using silicone gaskets when I put everything back together - Ultra Black will work with that application?

I also used the tabs you mentioned, they were convenient to have right there. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Thanks, good advice! I'm looking at using silicone gaskets when I put everything back together - Ultra Black will work with that application?

I also used the tabs you mentioned, they were convenient to have right there. :nabble_smiley_grin:

If you intend to use the same red silicone gaskets Scott and I are using then you do not use any sealant of any kind.

These gaskets work fine with cast covers, but I have only used them on a stamped steel oil pan.

So I can't say how they'll work with tin valve covers.

But then, I don't think silicone goop is ever appropriate as a gasket dressing, except for a light smear around intake crossovers.

Maybe I'm just old and out of touch...

If you intend to use the same red silicone gaskets Scott and I are using then you do not use any sealant of any kind.

These gaskets work fine with cast covers, but I have only used them on a stamped steel oil pan.

So I can't say how they'll work with tin valve covers.

But then, I don't think silicone goop is ever appropriate as a gasket dressing, except for a light smear around intake crossovers.

Maybe I'm just old and out of touch...

I don’t use silicone either.

If I put anything on a valve cover gasket it would be this.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/?locale=en_us

Had good results, used to use it on piston aircraft engines.

I don’t use silicone either.

If I put anything on a valve cover gasket it would be this.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/?locale=en_us

Had good results, used to use it on piston aircraft engines.

Thanks guys, I figured as much.

Dane, are you/were you an A&P mechanic? I’m in aviation for work, but at a “higher” level (pun sorta intended)… I do work in avionics.

Thanks guys, I figured as much.

Dane, are you/were you an A&P mechanic? I’m in aviation for work, but at a “higher” level (pun sorta intended)… I do work in avionics.

Yes, I'm an A&P. Retired.

I did a lot of avionics in my last job, corporate jets.

Yes, I'm an A&P. Retired.

I did a lot of avionics in my last job, corporate jets.

Very cool! In case it wasn’t clear I was joking about the “higher level” comment, wasn’t implying A&P or maintenance is somehow less than. I have so much respect for you guys, I’d be a nervous wreck every time I signed off on something and sent a plane out of the hangar!

Very cool! In case it wasn’t clear I was joking about the “higher level” comment, wasn’t implying A&P or maintenance is somehow less than. I have so much respect for you guys, I’d be a nervous wreck every time I signed off on something and sent a plane out of the hangar!

Yeah, I figured you were joking. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yeah, I figured you were joking. :nabble_smiley_good:

It sounded funnier in my head. :nabble_smiley_teeth:. Have a good night!

Got the covers stripped of paint and sanded. Tomorrow I hope to fix a couple dents and dings, then prime and paint!

If you are looking at using silicone gaskets or rubber gaskets over cork I would probably look at using something like weather stripping adhesive and put just a small dab in the corners on the valve cover to help just hold it in place. You could also use the ultra black for that as well.

I have a set of the blue Felpro rubber valve cover gaskets its the same blue rubber material as the one piece oil pan gasket set I bought as well. I intended to install the valve cover gaskets dry if possible. The oil pan gasket will be dry outside of the usual ultra black at all the joints that may pose a leak.

It sounded funnier in my head. :nabble_smiley_teeth:. Have a good night!

Got the covers stripped of paint and sanded. Tomorrow I hope to fix a couple dents and dings, then prime and paint!

Question... the cover had a cork gasket where the oil filler cap goes.

I've searched on Rock Auto, Dennis Carpenter, and LMC for "oil filler cap gasket" and such, and I'm not finding much. Any ideas?