Bullnose Forums

Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray

Good to know, Jim, thanks.

Yes, if I were welding I'd probably have the engine running. However, I will say that I've run the compressor several times with the engine off, and it lights most of the LED's on the inverter. So I know that the battery can handle it for a while.

Anyway, the HF Titanium is an option - if I want to carry a welder. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've never considered doing the overlanding/rock crawling scene, or what I would want to bring.

I can see where the little Titanium would be really handy on a farm or ranch where you might need to build a gate or something.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never considered doing the overlanding/rock crawling scene, or what I would want to bring.I can see where the little Titanium would be really handy on a farm or ranch where you might need to build a gate or something.
I'm sure you know, but for the others, overlanding and rock crawling are two very different things. The true overlanding vehicles I've seen don't have nearly the capability of Big Blue for going over difficult things. They seem to take fairly late model vehicles and add gear for camping in the back of beyond. Sleeping facilities, serious ice chests if not refrigerators, dual battery systems and many times solar charging thereof, etc.

Big Blue is a mix of offroader, albeit not "serious", overlander, and work truck. And we all know that a jack of all trades is a master of none. But, he should be capable of doing what little overlanding and offroading I want to do. However, he probably couldn't come close to rock crawling.

But the ability to repair things when in the back of beyond might come in very handy, so the Titanium could fit into both an overlanding as well as a work truck.

I'm sure you know, but for the others, overlanding and rock crawling are two very different things. The true overlanding vehicles I've seen don't have nearly the capability of Big Blue for going over difficult things. They seem to take fairly late model vehicles and add gear for camping in the back of beyond. Sleeping facilities, serious ice chests if not refrigerators, dual battery systems and many times solar charging thereof, etc.

Big Blue is a mix of offroader, albeit not "serious", overlander, and work truck. And we all know that a jack of all trades is a master of none. But, he should be capable of doing what little overlanding and offroading I want to do. However, he probably couldn't come close to rock crawling.

But the ability to repair things when in the back of beyond might come in very handy, so the Titanium could fit into both an overlanding as well as a work truck.
I included both to say "the back of beyond"... as in straying far enough into it that I might have to facilitate my own rescue nor pushing hard enough to break something substantial.Bringing a welder is an order of magnitude beyond enough water, a winch or high lift jack in my mind.

Did more toolbox loading today. Bill - I've tagged you as I'd like to know your thoughts on what I might need in my "carburetion" toolbox in order to do jet and/or rod changes, or anything else that comes up. Here's what I have at present:

☒ Carter strip kit with jets & reds

☒ Edelbrock #1487 carburetor calibration kit

☒ Edelbrock #1499 carburetor lid gaskets

☒ Edelbrock #1465 offroad inlet needle set

☒ T25 Torx driver for the screws on the lid

☒ Jet screwdriver - a narrowed screwdriver that just fits the Eddy jets

​☒ 6” steel rule for setting float levels

And I have the Edelbrock manual on tuning the carbs.

Any thoughts, y'all?

Also, I went through my spare sockets and ended up with full sets of 1/4" & 3/8" drive in both SAE and metric. And since I already had the 1/2" drive SAE sockets in, I think all I'm missing are some of the metric sockets used on the suspension, like 15 and 17 MM. So I need to do some research to see what is used there.

But, I'd be thrilled if some of you know off the top of your head.

Gary, I haven't found a 17mm nut on my truck.

All the crossmembers, suspension and bumper brackets are 18mm.

You might want a 15 deep for the fuel tank straps.

Those threads are too long for a short socket.

Gary, I haven't found a 17mm nut on my truck.

All the crossmembers, suspension and bumper brackets are 18mm.

You might want a 15 deep for the fuel tank straps.

Those threads are too long for a short socket.

Yes, "the back of beyond" is far enough away that getting out might be up to you. Hence the need for any possibly-needed tool.

Good points on the suspension and tank straps. I doubt the straps will come loose as I double-nutted them, but I do want to be prepared in any event. And the suspension could be critical. Deep sockets are in order. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, "the back of beyond" is far enough away that getting out might be up to you. Hence the need for any possibly-needed tool.

Good points on the suspension and tank straps. I doubt the straps will come loose as I double-nutted them, but I do want to be prepared in any event. And the suspension could be critical. Deep sockets are in order. :nabble_smiley_good:

I was trying to think what else is 15mm???

Horrid Fate deep impact socket sets are cheap as chips.

Just make sure it comes with 18mm

It might be worth it to just grab a set. They come on a plastic rail holder.

Edit: 10 can work for 3/8, 11 for 7/16, 13 for 1/2, 14 for 9/16, 16 for 5/8, 19 for 3/4 and 22 for 7/8.

Though there are really very few metric sizes fastener on these chassis.

.... Then you have the 7mm fasteners in the dash and radiator support.

I was trying to think what else is 15mm???

Horrid Fate deep impact socket sets are cheap as chips.

Just make sure it comes with 18mm

It might be worth it to just grab a set. They come on a plastic rail holder.

Edit: 10 can work for 3/8, 11 for 7/16, 13 for 1/2, 14 for 9/16, 16 for 5/8, 19 for 3/4 and 22 for 7/8.

Though there are really very few metric sizes fastener on these chassis.

.... Then you have the 7mm fasteners in the dash and radiator support.

I have a whole lot of extraneous sockets so may have a set of deep metrics that I can put in. But if not, I know where HF is. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm sure you know, but for the others, overlanding and rock crawling are two very different things....

The most serious rock crawling usually happens pretty close to the trailers, so trail repairs are so critical. Where it gets more critical is on a trail like the Rubicon that takes 2 days or so to traverse. One or two nights isn't very serious as overlanding goes, and from what I've heard, the Rubicon isn't anywhere close to the hardest rockcrawling trail out there. But when you're a day in and break the arm off your steering knuckle, a trail welder is one of very few options available. Because getting a tow truck in to retrieve a truck that won't steer might not be an option, and if it is, it won't be cheap! (We were warned that tow charges on the trails we were on in Canyonlands National Park will exceed $1000!)

But again, I'm not saying that's anywhere near necessary for Ouray, or that it's something that I expect you will eventually need. I'm just enabling! :nabble_smiley_evil:

I'm sure you know, but for the others, overlanding and rock crawling are two very different things....

The most serious rock crawling usually happens pretty close to the trailers, so trail repairs are so critical. Where it gets more critical is on a trail like the Rubicon that takes 2 days or so to traverse. One or two nights isn't very serious as overlanding goes, and from what I've heard, the Rubicon isn't anywhere close to the hardest rockcrawling trail out there. But when you're a day in and break the arm off your steering knuckle, a trail welder is one of very few options available. Because getting a tow truck in to retrieve a truck that won't steer might not be an option, and if it is, it won't be cheap! (We were warned that tow charges on the trails we were on in Canyonlands National Park will exceed $1000!)

But again, I'm not saying that's anywhere near necessary for Ouray, or that it's something that I expect you will eventually need. I'm just enabling! :nabble_smiley_evil:

Aw shucks! You mean I have no "good" reason to run out and buy a welder? :nabble_smiley_cry:

Having said that, I am wondering about taking wire nuts. I know they have no place in a vehicle's wiring - long term. But, I'm thinking about short term. What if we tear up some wiring? With wire nuts we could use the ~25' roll of #16 I'm taking to effect some temp fixes that I'd replace when we get home.

Yes, I could take a soldering gun, solder, connectors, crimpers, heat shrink, heat gun, etc to make a permanent fix. But that would take a lot of time and I'd rather be running the trails than making repairs.

Thoughts?

Aw shucks! You mean I have no "good" reason to run out and buy a welder? :nabble_smiley_cry:

Having said that, I am wondering about taking wire nuts. I know they have no place in a vehicle's wiring - long term. But, I'm thinking about short term. What if we tear up some wiring? With wire nuts we could use the ~25' roll of #16 I'm taking to effect some temp fixes that I'd replace when we get home.

Yes, I could take a soldering gun, solder, connectors, crimpers, heat shrink, heat gun, etc to make a permanent fix. But that would take a lot of time and I'd rather be running the trails than making repairs.

Thoughts?

If you're at Horrid Fate (looking at welders or socket sets. :nabble_smiley_wink:) just go grab one of their small assortments of crimp connectors and terminals.

A butt, eyelet or spade terminal is going to help you a lot more than a wire nut in most cases.

Edit:

Vigrue (on Amazon) has a nice little kit of marine shrink terminals.