Bullnose Forums

Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you suggesting those Jeeps are going to need to be put back together? :nabble_smiley_happy:

I have seen YouTube videos where Jeeps needed welding to get back off the trail. I've also seen French trucks need welding. So far I haven't seen any Fords need it though! (and there's no way that's due to the larger numbers of Jeeps and French trucks I see in videos, it has to be due to Ford's superiority)

But seriously, welding can be a life saver in certain situations. I've seen tie rods, steering knuckles, even leaf springs welded as a trail fix (on YouTube, never in person). I'm not saying you should add welding capability, but it might be something to consider. (Full disclosure, I don't have any way to weld on the trail and I have absolutely no plans to change that.)

There are higher end options, like adding a Premier Power Welder. But one of the old Jeep guys I met up with last year has an ammo can that he carries welding cables and a few welding rods in, as well as some welding goggles. He takes the battery out of his Jeep and the Jeep that needs welding, hooks them in series and does some pretty amazing repairs.

Of course to do that you need to know how to stick weld (I don't). It'd be pretty pointless to have all of the equipment and still not be able to fix things.

I have seen YouTube videos where Jeeps needed welding to get back off the trail. I've also seen French trucks need welding. So far I haven't seen any Fords need it though! (and there's no way that's due to the larger numbers of Jeeps and French trucks I see in videos, it has to be due to Ford's superiority)

But seriously, welding can be a life saver in certain situations. I've seen tie rods, steering knuckles, even leaf springs welded as a trail fix (on YouTube, never in person). I'm not saying you should add welding capability, but it might be something to consider. (Full disclosure, I don't have any way to weld on the trail and I have absolutely no plans to change that.)

There are higher end options, like adding a Premier Power Welder. But one of the old Jeep guys I met up with last year has an ammo can that he carries welding cables and a few welding rods in, as well as some welding goggles. He takes the battery out of his Jeep and the Jeep that needs welding, hooks them in series and does some pretty amazing repairs.

Of course to do that you need to know how to stick weld (I don't). It'd be pretty pointless to have all of the equipment and still not be able to fix things.

I didn't realize that with 24 volts, and lots of current, you can stick-weld. I've done a bit of stick welding, but that was decades ago, before I got the MIG. Once I got the MIG a friend borrowed the stick welder and when I moved I told him to keep it.

I can see that having welding abilities might be pretty handy when in the back of beyond. And if I ever get to go there, wherever that is, I'll consider adding welding capabilities. But for Ouray, I think I'll just pull the broken vehicles out and then take the driver to town to get parts. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I didn't realize that with 24 volts, and lots of current, you can stick-weld. I've done a bit of stick welding, but that was decades ago, before I got the MIG. Once I got the MIG a friend borrowed the stick welder and when I moved I told him to keep it.

I can see that having welding abilities might be pretty handy when in the back of beyond. And if I ever get to go there, wherever that is, I'll consider adding welding capabilities. But for Ouray, I think I'll just pull the broken vehicles out and then take the driver to town to get parts. :nabble_smiley_wink:

There are many options for onboard welders. You probably have a pretty large alternator on Big Blue so you could add that capability some day.

Its been a while since I was researching it, but some companies do make portable spool guns, so you can flux weld anywhere you go.

There are many options for onboard welders. You probably have a pretty large alternator on Big Blue so you could add that capability some day.

Its been a while since I was researching it, but some companies do make portable spool guns, so you can flux weld anywhere you go.

Yes, I have a 3G capable of 130 amps, so there's plenty of power. But since I have the 3KW inverter it would seem like one of the little welders would work nicely. For instance the HF Titanium Easy Flux 125 should work nicely on the inverter as it is said to pull a max of 23 amps, and that times 120 volts is 2760 watts. The inverter is good for twice that on startup, so it should work nicely - although Jim may know for sure since I got the inverter from him and he has one of those welders.

Anyway, if I do get the urge to have a welder on Big Blue I'll start a thread on that, for sure. Thanks, for the suggestion.

Yes, I have a 3G capable of 130 amps, so there's plenty of power. But since I have the 3KW inverter it would seem like one of the little welders would work nicely. For instance the HF Titanium Easy Flux 125 should work nicely on the inverter as it is said to pull a max of 23 amps, and that times 120 volts is 2760 watts. The inverter is good for twice that on startup, so it should work nicely - although Jim may know for sure since I got the inverter from him and he has one of those welders.

Anyway, if I do get the urge to have a welder on Big Blue I'll start a thread on that, for sure. Thanks, for the suggestion.

Did more toolbox loading today. Bill - I've tagged you as I'd like to know your thoughts on what I might need in my "carburetion" toolbox in order to do jet and/or rod changes, or anything else that comes up. Here's what I have at present:

☒ Carter strip kit with jets & reds

☒ Edelbrock #1487 carburetor calibration kit

☒ Edelbrock #1499 carburetor lid gaskets

☒ Edelbrock #1465 offroad inlet needle set

☒ T25 Torx driver for the screws on the lid

☒ Jet screwdriver - a narrowed screwdriver that just fits the Eddy jets

​☒ 6” steel rule for setting float levels

And I have the Edelbrock manual on tuning the carbs.

Any thoughts, y'all?

Also, I went through my spare sockets and ended up with full sets of 1/4" & 3/8" drive in both SAE and metric. And since I already had the 1/2" drive SAE sockets in, I think all I'm missing are some of the metric sockets used on the suspension, like 15 and 17 MM. So I need to do some research to see what is used there.

But, I'd be thrilled if some of you know off the top of your head.

Did more toolbox loading today. Bill - I've tagged you as I'd like to know your thoughts on what I might need in my "carburetion" toolbox in order to do jet and/or rod changes, or anything else that comes up. Here's what I have at present:

☒ Carter strip kit with jets & reds

☒ Edelbrock #1487 carburetor calibration kit

☒ Edelbrock #1499 carburetor lid gaskets

☒ Edelbrock #1465 offroad inlet needle set

☒ T25 Torx driver for the screws on the lid

☒ Jet screwdriver - a narrowed screwdriver that just fits the Eddy jets

​☒ 6” steel rule for setting float levels

And I have the Edelbrock manual on tuning the carbs.

Any thoughts, y'all?

Also, I went through my spare sockets and ended up with full sets of 1/4" & 3/8" drive in both SAE and metric. And since I already had the 1/2" drive SAE sockets in, I think all I'm missing are some of the metric sockets used on the suspension, like 15 and 17 MM. So I need to do some research to see what is used there.

But, I'd be thrilled if some of you know off the top of your head.

Gee, if the EFI system was up you probably wouldn't need anything except maybe a spare TFI module. The Carter stuff looks about right, bowl gasket(s) definitely. Did you forget the step ladder so you can comfortably reach the carb?

As far as suspension, I can't help you there, my rear is about the same, but front is completely different.

Gee, if the EFI system was up you probably wouldn't need anything except maybe a spare TFI module. The Carter stuff looks about right, bowl gasket(s) definitely. Did you forget the step ladder so you can comfortably reach the carb?

As far as suspension, I can't help you there, my rear is about the same, but front is completely different.

Well, yes the EFI would solve a lot of problems, but that's not gonna happen 'twixt now and September. Hopefully this winter.

Anyway, I'm glad you think I'm taking the right tools. But the step ladder might be a good idea. However, I can stand on the bumper and get there, although I don't like to do that since the chrome is quite thin.

My plan is to go back in my thread and see if I documented what jets and rods are in the carb. If so then I'll work through the tuning guide and see what jets and rods I might need at 8000+ feet and then make sure I have them in the kits. So I might ping you on that to see if you agree with my thinking.

And, thanks!

I've never had my lunchbox welder trip a 20 circuit. :nabble_anim_confused:

Though I've never seen a need to run it maxed out either.

The duty cycle takes a big hit, and I consider a 1/4" beveled fitup enough.

It does get better penetration once your bead gets some heat into the work.

I definitely think that inverter could run it, but you would probably want the alternator charging.

I don't have dual batteries, and certainly nothing with the capacity of yours.

I've never had my lunchbox welder trip a 20 circuit. :nabble_anim_confused:

Though I've never seen a need to run it maxed out either.

The duty cycle takes a big hit, and I consider a 1/4" beveled fitup enough.

It does get better penetration once your bead gets some heat into the work.

I definitely think that inverter could run it, but you would probably want the alternator charging.

I don't have dual batteries, and certainly nothing with the capacity of yours.

Good to know, Jim, thanks.

Yes, if I were welding I'd probably have the engine running. However, I will say that I've run the compressor several times with the engine off, and it lights most of the LED's on the inverter. So I know that the battery can handle it for a while.

Anyway, the HF Titanium is an option - if I want to carry a welder. :nabble_smiley_good: