Bullnose Forums

Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray

Well, I need a little help from my friends. I started making a list of the things I'm going to take to Ouray, and would like y'all to tell me what I'm missing.

I still have some work to do consolidating the two tool boxes I had into the one that will stay in Big Blue, but about the only things left to add might be some smaller sockets. Beyond that I think I'm "there" on tools.

So, what am I missing?

Several sizes of hose clamps. Knife and or knives. And of course, a coffee maker!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several sizes of hose clamps. Knife and or knives.

And of course, a coffee maker!

Dane - I just edited the file to say "Add more" hose clamps.

As for knives, I have a box knife in, but had forgotten my Swiss Army tool set. I bought it in Nuremberg a few years ago on a trip, and have never really used it. So it is now on the list.

Thanks!

SAK_3_0339_L__S1.jpg.452d67b913acbf26cbf0614d73682915.jpg

As for knives, I have a box knife in, but had forgotten my Swiss Army tool set. I bought it in Nuremberg a few years ago on a trip, and have never really used it. So it is now on the list.

Thanks!

Oh, I forgot the coffee maker. Well, I supposed we could take one, but surely some place in Ouray makes good coffee?

Thanks, Chris. I saw that also when I Googled "coffee in Ouray" and that came up as the first hit.

Have you been there? Do you have a "review"?

I would add some sort of tree saw. In our years of wheeling we have needed something more than once or twice. One of the guys now carrys a small chainsaw. You shouldn't need anything in Ouray, but as a thought for the overlanding part. But of course we have a lot of woods around us that we wheel in.

I would add some sort of tree saw. In our years of wheeling we have needed something more than once or twice. One of the guys now carrys a small chainsaw. You shouldn't need anything in Ouray, but as a thought for the overlanding part. But of course we have a lot of woods around us that we wheel in.

No, sorry, I haven't been to Ouray since the 1970s.

Thanks!

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n99539/SAK_3_0339_L__S1.jpg

I looked through it twice and still didn’t see hose clamps! :nabble_smiley_blush:

I like the Swiss Army Knife tool!

Thanks!

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n99539/SAK_3_0339_L__S1.jpg

I looked through it twice and still didn’t see hose clamps! :nabble_smiley_blush:

I like the Swiss Army Knife tool!

Bruce - I agree that a saw would be well advised when overlanding. In fact on the GOAT we found a place where we were just able to get through w/o trimming a tree. So when we go overlanding I'll take my Ridgid reciprocating saw and some long blades, as well as the battery charger and two batteries. That thing is amazing and should be all I'll ever need. But, for the Ouray trip I'm not sure that will be needed. From what I've seen the trails are well above tree line.

Dane - No wonder you couldn't find the hose clamps. They, and several other things, were buried in the Sockets section of the Hand Tool Box. :nabble_smiley_blush: I've moved all of them out from under Sockets, and turned the hose clamp entry red - just for you. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Bruce - I agree that a saw would be well advised when overlanding. In fact on the GOAT we found a place where we were just able to get through w/o trimming a tree. So when we go overlanding I'll take my Ridgid reciprocating saw and some long blades, as well as the battery charger and two batteries. That thing is amazing and should be all I'll ever need. But, for the Ouray trip I'm not sure that will be needed. From what I've seen the trails are well above tree line.

Dane - No wonder you couldn't find the hose clamps. They, and several other things, were buried in the Sockets section of the Hand Tool Box. :nabble_smiley_blush: I've moved all of them out from under Sockets, and turned the hose clamp entry red - just for you. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Oh, I forgot the Swiss Army tool. There's a story with that. Years ago we were in Italy and I saw one of those for sale in a little shop and thought it would be nice to have. But I thought the price was too high and surely I could get it back home for less.

However, when we got back home I found that the price here is every bit, if not more, than what they wanted in Italy. And, of course, I wouldn't have purchased it in Italy so it wouldn't be all that special.

A few years later we went on a cruise on the Danube and started in Nuremberg. As we always do, before leaving Janey and I discussed what we would be shopping for on the trip, and that Swiss Army tool was my item. We landed in Nuremberg and started wandering the Old Town and there it was! And for a good price. So within 2 hours of landing on a 2 week trip I bought what I was looking for. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But I watched for it the whole rest of the time and found that I really did get a good deal. No one else had it for that price, and in most cases they didn't have it in stock.