Bullnose Forums

Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray

Tires would definitely fill faster with higher pressure.

But the Schrader valve in the stem is really what's limiting flow.

That's why many will pull the valves when trying to seat a bead

I hope I don't have to reseat a bead, but will remember that trick if I do. Which means I need to carry a Schrader valve removal tool! And a spare Schrader valve. Hadn't thought of that. I will have a ratchet strap that I can put around the tire to push the bead out.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I don't have to reseat a bead, but will remember that trick if I do. Which means I need to carry a Schrader valve removal tool! And a spare Schrader valve. Hadn't thought of that. I will have a ratchet strap that I can put around the tire to push the bead out.

A ratchet strap will usually get the bead to seat. (careful when trying to undo them!)

Not a big fan of Cheetah's or starting fluid and a match, but I guess you do what you gotta do.

A ratchet strap will usually get the bead to seat. (careful when trying to undo them!)

Not a big fan of Cheetah's or starting fluid and a match, but I guess you do what you gotta do.

Dad had an inflatable tube that went around the center of the tire and provided the squeeze to get the bead close to the rim. Worked well and I've used it many times. It had the advantage over the ratchet strap that you could deflate it before removing it, so some of the pressure was off it.

But you are right on the ratchet strap, getting it off can be a bear. The key is just getting the bead to seat w/o expanding the tire very much. And even then there's a lot of pressure on the strap.

Dad had an inflatable tube that went around the center of the tire and provided the squeeze to get the bead close to the rim. Worked well and I've used it many times. It had the advantage over the ratchet strap that you could deflate it before removing it, so some of the pressure was off it.

But you are right on the ratchet strap, getting it off can be a bear. The key is just getting the bead to seat w/o expanding the tire very much. And even then there's a lot of pressure on the strap.

... or seat the bead, then let all of the air out to take pressure off the strap and then fill it up again.

I'll take a look. It'll be far cheaper than what I paid for that Swiss Army tool set. It was so expensive they threw in a cruise down the Danube. :nabble_smiley_evil:

LOL....I'll bet they did too!

I was looking for a tool to cut small rubber hose (transmission and fuel line hose) when I cam across it. Other cutters that just cut hose were on the same rack at twice the price.....no brainer.