Bullnose Forums

Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray

Thanks, Bob! I'm sure I'm going to like them. And I'm really pleased with the price.

Do you think 15 psi is a good starting point for the DISCOVERER S/T MAXX - LT285/75R16 tires? They are a Load Range E, so are pretty stiff in and of themselves.

I think that's a good starting point. I was running 15 psi in my 33/10.50-15 load range C tires on my Bronco until last year when I dropped to 12 psi. And I ran 15 psi back when I had LT235/85-16E tires on a CJ5.

On the lightweight CJ5 15 psi in those tires was too much (those tires were just too much on their own), but I didn't know enough to know that until I got load range C tires on the Jeep. They worked OK, but the ride was still pretty brutal.

On a truck that weighs close to twice what that Jeep weighed I think load range E tires will still be a bit more than would be ideal in some respects, but they'll be fine (and I certainly understand your desire to use what you have rather than throw money at it to get something that might be a little better).

Anyway, yes, it's a good starting place. If you want to experiment you can drop a bit more and see if it rides any better, or if you notice that you need the front locker any less. And you can do that experimentation either by just using a tire gage to let a bit more out, or by adjusting only one of the deflators rather than taking the time to do them all.

And this might be a good time to point out what would make you want to go higher or lower. Lower is always better for ride quality and traction, and those are the things in short supply when rock crawling. Higher means less time airing up (maybe not such an issue for you with your setup), less chance of losing a bead, and better handling if you get a chance to drive at some higher speeds before airing up. Oh, and also less chance of rim damage if you whack a rock at those higher speeds. So you'll have to figure out what you do and what you want. But 15 psi will be a good place to start doing that.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a good starting point. I was running 15 psi in my 33/10.50-15 load range C tires on my Bronco until last year when I dropped to 12 psi. And I ran 15 psi back when I had LT235/85-16E tires on a CJ5.

On the lightweight CJ5 15 psi in those tires was too much (those tires were just too much on their own), but I didn't know enough to know that until I got load range C tires on the Jeep. They worked OK, but the ride was still pretty brutal.

On a truck that weighs close to twice what that Jeep weighed I think load range E tires will still be a bit more than would be ideal in some respects, but they'll be fine (and I certainly understand your desire to use what you have rather than throw money at it to get something that might be a little better).

Anyway, yes, it's a good starting place. If you want to experiment you can drop a bit more and see if it rides any better, or if you notice that you need the front locker any less. And you can do that experimentation either by just using a tire gage to let a bit more out, or by adjusting only one of the deflators rather than taking the time to do them all.

And this might be a good time to point out what would make you want to go higher or lower. Lower is always better for ride quality and traction, and those are the things in short supply when rock crawling. Higher means less time airing up (maybe not such an issue for you with your setup), less chance of losing a bead, and better handling if you get a chance to drive at some higher speeds before airing up. Oh, and also less chance of rim damage if you whack a rock at those higher speeds. So you'll have to figure out what you do and what you want. But 15 psi will be a good place to start doing that.

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate the input.

If 15 psi is a good starting point it may be the ending point as well since I'm not sure how hard we are going to push things. So if the ride is reasonable and the traction is adequate we may just stay with the original setting.

Which then brings up the question of what I should air back up to for short highway trips? As you know, but for the other's sake, many of the Jeep roads around Ouray begin and/or end off CO 550, aka The Million Dollar Highway. So it isn't unusual to take a trail and then have to get back on the highway for a stretch before getting to the next trail. And since the highway is full of curves, some of which are very tight, how much air do I need?

I normally run at 35 psi, and had planned to take the tires back to that. But obviously it'll be faster if I don't go back quite that high. Might 30 be adequate for a few miles if we take it easy on the turns?

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate the input.

If 15 psi is a good starting point it may be the ending point as well since I'm not sure how hard we are going to push things. So if the ride is reasonable and the traction is adequate we may just stay with the original setting.

Which then brings up the question of what I should air back up to for short highway trips? As you know, but for the other's sake, many of the Jeep roads around Ouray begin and/or end off CO 550, aka The Million Dollar Highway. So it isn't unusual to take a trail and then have to get back on the highway for a stretch before getting to the next trail. And since the highway is full of curves, some of which are very tight, how much air do I need?

I normally run at 35 psi, and had planned to take the tires back to that. But obviously it'll be faster if I don't go back quite that high. Might 30 be adequate for a few miles if we take it easy on the turns?

First I wanted to apologize for only talking about rocks. I guess some people go fourwheeling in sand, mud or snow as well!

Sand is also less air is better until you lose a bead. And serious rock crawlers or sand runners run somewhere between 0 and 10 psi, depending on rig weight, tire size, actual conditions, etc.

Mud and snow I'm less sure of because there's so much variety in both of those. Generally though people probably run a little higher pressures in those conditions unless either is bottomless and they're trying to float on top of it.

As to what to air back up to, all I can say is do what works for you. You might be able to get by leaving it at 15 until you're done 'wheeling. The issues with lower pressure are bad handling and possible tire damage from heat. In Ouray I've left my tires at trail pressure and driven a little slower if I don't want to take the time to air up. Or I've aired up to 25 or 30 (I also normally run 35 on the road) and then drive more normally.

First I wanted to apologize for only talking about rocks. I guess some people go fourwheeling in sand, mud or snow as well!

Sand is also less air is better until you lose a bead. And serious rock crawlers or sand runners run somewhere between 0 and 10 psi, depending on rig weight, tire size, actual conditions, etc.

Mud and snow I'm less sure of because there's so much variety in both of those. Generally though people probably run a little higher pressures in those conditions unless either is bottomless and they're trying to float on top of it.

As to what to air back up to, all I can say is do what works for you. You might be able to get by leaving it at 15 until you're done 'wheeling. The issues with lower pressure are bad handling and possible tire damage from heat. In Ouray I've left my tires at trail pressure and driven a little slower if I don't want to take the time to air up. Or I've aired up to 25 or 30 (I also normally run 35 on the road) and then drive more normally.

Bob - Sorry, I meant to reply and somehow got sidetracked. :nabble_smiley_blush:

And thanks. We will probably air up to at least 25 if we are going very far, but that shouldn't take too long. In fact, I might actually check to see how long it'll take using these that came in today. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Coyote_Deflators.thumb.jpg.afb9acf979d2617c97bf032a3ca83627.jpg

And the MyFAK came in today and fit right into the storage unit, as shown below:

FAK__Deflators_Behind_Seat.thumb.jpg.1f7acf6419d4dd8a0e0180c3886119fb.jpg

Bob - Sorry, I meant to reply and somehow got sidetracked. :nabble_smiley_blush:

And thanks. We will probably air up to at least 25 if we are going very far, but that shouldn't take too long. In fact, I might actually check to see how long it'll take using these that came in today. :nabble_smiley_happy:

And the MyFAK came in today and fit right into the storage unit, as shown below:

Just had a chance to test both the deflaters as well as the compressor. I put the Coyote deflators on and in ~5 minutes I was down to their settings. I checked with my two gauges and one showed 14 and the other showed 13 on all four tires, so I'm guessing that Coyote's 15 psi setting is accurate and my gauges are off a bit.

Then I aired all four of them back up to 20 psi, which took 3 minutes and 15 seconds with the tank at 200 psi at the start. Then I aired them on up to 25 psi, and that took another 2 minutes and 35 seconds. In other words, it looks like it takes about 3 minutes for each 5 psi on all four tires at that low range, although as I think about it that first "5 psi" injection was probably from 15 to 21 psi since my gauge was reading 1 psi lower than Coyote's setting.

But, I discovered that kneeling beside the tire and holding the inflator w/a gauge on wasn't all that much fun. So I put the clamp-on inflator on when I took them back up to 35 psi, and that is a whole lot better.

Given that, I'm thinking at the end of the trail I'll give each tire a 2 minute shot of air. My math says that should bring the tires up to 28ish psi, which should be plenty for running around on the highway. And I won't have to even check the pressures but just time the shot.

Is that reasonable?

And, by the way, this is what the right front looked like at 15 psi. It is a bit lower than I expected, but I guess it is ok?

RF_@_15_PSI.thumb.jpg.714db280168cf9a87888354619d87cb7.jpg

Just had a chance to test both the deflaters as well as the compressor. I put the Coyote deflators on and in ~5 minutes I was down to their settings. I checked with my two gauges and one showed 14 and the other showed 13 on all four tires, so I'm guessing that Coyote's 15 psi setting is accurate and my gauges are off a bit.

Then I aired all four of them back up to 20 psi, which took 3 minutes and 15 seconds with the tank at 200 psi at the start. Then I aired them on up to 25 psi, and that took another 2 minutes and 35 seconds. In other words, it looks like it takes about 3 minutes for each 5 psi on all four tires at that low range, although as I think about it that first "5 psi" injection was probably from 15 to 21 psi since my gauge was reading 1 psi lower than Coyote's setting.

But, I discovered that kneeling beside the tire and holding the inflator w/a gauge on wasn't all that much fun. So I put the clamp-on inflator on when I took them back up to 35 psi, and that is a whole lot better.

Given that, I'm thinking at the end of the trail I'll give each tire a 2 minute shot of air. My math says that should bring the tires up to 28ish psi, which should be plenty for running around on the highway. And I won't have to even check the pressures but just time the shot.

Is that reasonable?

And, by the way, this is what the right front looked like at 15 psi. It is a bit lower than I expected, but I guess it is ok?

That’s impressive to me! Not as long as I thought it would take to air up.

Those deflators are cool.

A couple minutes sound good to me and you’ll see it too.

BTW, nice locking hubs!

That’s impressive to me! Not as long as I thought it would take to air up.

Those deflators are cool.

A couple minutes sound good to me and you’ll see it too.

BTW, nice locking hubs!

Thanks, Dane. Yes, it was less time than I thought as well.

Doing a bit more math, it took 350 seconds to air 4 tires up 11 psi (14 - 25). So it took 87.5 seconds per tire. And dividing that by 11 psi gives 7.95 seconds/psi.

Dividing the two minutes by 8 gives an increase of 15 psi for a 2 minute blast. And to go from 15 psi to 35 psi would take just 2 minutes and 40 seconds. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Obviously this is all back-of-the-envelope math, but the system works really well. I think I'm happy! :nabble_anim_jump:

As for the hubs, yes they are nice. But they seem to be kind of scarce. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Is that reasonable?

Yeah, a clamp-on chuck is a necessity, for the same reason the deflators are. I had a hard time squatting down to deflate tires when I was 30. I love my Coyote deflators!

And I'm jealous of your compressor! It takes me a LOT longer to air up.

And that tire looks pretty good to me. You could probably get by with a little more air, but you'd be OK with less too. Like I said before, less air is better for ride and traction, the two things you'll be waning more of most of the time on rough trails. More air is better for tire life and handling, which don't matter so much on most trails. Losing a bead is the other downside to low pressure, and I don't think you'll be close to that at 15 psi.

Yeah, a clamp-on chuck is a necessity, for the same reason the deflators are. I had a hard time squatting down to deflate tires when I was 30. I love my Coyote deflators!

And I'm jealous of your compressor! It takes me a LOT longer to air up.

And that tire looks pretty good to me. You could probably get by with a little more air, but you'd be OK with less too. Like I said before, less air is better for ride and traction, the two things you'll be waning more of most of the time on rough trails. More air is better for tire life and handling, which don't matter so much on most trails. Losing a bead is the other downside to low pressure, and I don't think you'll be close to that at 15 psi.

Thanks, Bob. It is comforting to know that the tire looks about "right" for the plans we have.

As for the compressor, it really works. I didn't check on the pressure, but since the compressor cycled while I was airing the tires up I'm guessing that the pressure was between 155 and 200, and that can move a lot of air. However, as I think about it I have the regulator set at 90. I wonder if it would fill faster at full tank pressure?

Thanks, Bob. It is comforting to know that the tire looks about "right" for the plans we have.

As for the compressor, it really works. I didn't check on the pressure, but since the compressor cycled while I was airing the tires up I'm guessing that the pressure was between 155 and 200, and that can move a lot of air. However, as I think about it I have the regulator set at 90. I wonder if it would fill faster at full tank pressure?

Tires would definitely fill faster with higher pressure.

But the Schrader valve in the stem is really what's limiting flow.

That's why many will pull the valves when trying to seat a bead