Bullnose Forums

Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray

I don't underestimate you.

I guess I'm overestimating Big Blue. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I would jet for Telluride (#5)

You're only going over the pass, not driving around off-road there.

If I know Bill, he'll tell you to go with EFI and it will adjust itself on the fly wherever you are..... :nabble_smiley_evil:

And he's right.

Do you have a small impact, or one of those old school whack-it-with-a-hammer impact driver's?

That and a drop of MMO would be my first step to getting the jet out.

Yes, I'm sure he will. :nabble_smiley_thinking: (The title of that smiley is "Thinking", but it looks like rolling your eyes to me. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

I do have a small impact. And I'm sure I have a screwdriver bit that will fit the jets, which will be 1/4" drive. So that would work nicely. But I'm short on MMO so will use PBB. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think I'll go back out, mop out the gas in the bowl, and give it some PBB to penetrate tonight. Maybe it'll come out with the impact tomorrow.

Thanks.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm sure he will. :nabble_smiley_thinking: (The title of that smiley is "Thinking", but it looks like rolling your eyes to me. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

I do have a small impact. And I'm sure I have a screwdriver bit that will fit the jets, which will be 1/4" drive. So that would work nicely. But I'm short on MMO so will use PBB. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think I'll go back out, mop out the gas in the bowl, and give it some PBB to penetrate tonight. Maybe it'll come out with the impact tomorrow.

Thanks.

I didn't put it next to you....

It means to show I need to reconsider my view of Big Blue.

My truck is deliberately low.

I don't like climbing in to the cab or hefting tools and material into the bed.

Be careful with PB on pot metal and brass.

It doesn't like zinc any more than diesel does.

I'm pretty sure it will be fine overnight. Just something to keep in mind.

I didn't put it next to you....

It means to show I need to reconsider my view of Big Blue.

My truck is deliberately low.

I don't like climbing in to the cab or hefting tools and material into the bed.

Be careful with PB on pot metal and brass.

It doesn't like zinc any more than diesel does.

I'm pretty sure it will be fine overnight. Just something to keep in mind.

Ok, I'll be careful with PBB. I'll wipe it out in the morn, hopefully after getting the jet out. And then clean it with brake cleaner.

Another question: What do you think of using a dab of Loctite 56747 PST on the jet's threads?

On what elevation to jet for, we will be doing a number of passes on trails. For instance, Ophir pass is at 11,789'. Black Bear is at 12,840. And Imogene is at 13,114. So while we won't be rock crawling, we'll be "up there" many times.

Ok, I'll be careful with PBB. I'll wipe it out in the morn, hopefully after getting the jet out. And then clean it with brake cleaner.

Another question: What do you think of using a dab of Loctite 56747 PST on the jet's threads?

On what elevation to jet for, we will be doing a number of passes on trails. For instance, Ophir pass is at 11,789'. Black Bear is at 12,840. And Imogene is at 13,114. So while we won't be rock crawling, we'll be "up there" many times.

I don't like the idea of any 'goop' inside a carb.

While you know it is intended for refineries and chemical plants, what isn't there can't ever cause a problem.

I doubt there's any reason for thread sealant.

I'm sure bill will weigh in when he gets here.

Those are my thoughts.

I don't like the idea of any 'goop' inside a carb.

While you know it is intended for refineries and chemical plants, what isn't there can't ever cause a problem.

I doubt there's any reason for thread sealant.

I'm sure bill will weigh in when he gets here.

Those are my thoughts.

I'm not thinking of it as sealant, but more as lubricant. It is for dissimilar metals and these brass jets sure didn't want to come out of that aluminum carb. So when I get them out I was wondering about using something that would help remove them in the future.

I'm not thinking of it as sealant, but more as lubricant. It is for dissimilar metals and these brass jets sure didn't want to come out of that aluminum carb. So when I get them out I was wondering about using something that would help remove them in the future.

A few random thoughts (semi-)connected to the posts since I was last here...

Altitude meds: Back in one of the threads we had going in 2018 or so I talked about acclimating to the elevation. I've never tried meds, but that might not be a bad idea. I've also never tried the canned oxygen I mentioned back then, but that might be another not bad idea. I (and others I've been with) have had some issues that were likely due to altitude. But with some minimal acclimation it never wrecked a trip.

And as I mentioned in the earlier thread, drink lots of water. You'll lose water a lot faster than you are used to in the high desert environment there. And symptoms of dehydration are much the same as symptoms of altitude sickness.

Truck height: OK, a bit of a hijack off Jim's comments. When we were in Grand Marais a couple weeks ago my Bronco was sitting next to my buddy's French HD 3/4 ton. His stock tires (34x10.50) are bigger than the tires on my Bronco (33x10.50) which are bigger than the tires on my F-250HD (32x9.25). The bed rails on his stock truck come up to his chin! And the newer Fords are the same as the French trucks. Another reason I like old trucks!

Jetting: I wouldn't jet for any higher than the lowest altitude you'll be at. If you're not going to rejet after you get there, then I'd leave it jetted for Oklahoma. I've done OK leaving carbs set for Minnesota (elevation ~1000'), even driving over 13,000' passes. Yeah, it's too rich up high, but too rich doesn't seem to be as big a problem as too lean. If you're willing to take the time to rejet it after you get there it'll definitely run better, but even then I'd aim for the right mixture in Ouray. I'd rather it be a little fat idling over the passes than misfiring and knocking on the highway heading into town.

A few random thoughts (semi-)connected to the posts since I was last here...

Altitude meds: Back in one of the threads we had going in 2018 or so I talked about acclimating to the elevation. I've never tried meds, but that might not be a bad idea. I've also never tried the canned oxygen I mentioned back then, but that might be another not bad idea. I (and others I've been with) have had some issues that were likely due to altitude. But with some minimal acclimation it never wrecked a trip.

And as I mentioned in the earlier thread, drink lots of water. You'll lose water a lot faster than you are used to in the high desert environment there. And symptoms of dehydration are much the same as symptoms of altitude sickness.

Truck height: OK, a bit of a hijack off Jim's comments. When we were in Grand Marais a couple weeks ago my Bronco was sitting next to my buddy's French HD 3/4 ton. His stock tires (34x10.50) are bigger than the tires on my Bronco (33x10.50) which are bigger than the tires on my F-250HD (32x9.25). The bed rails on his stock truck come up to his chin! And the newer Fords are the same as the French trucks. Another reason I like old trucks!

Jetting: I wouldn't jet for any higher than the lowest altitude you'll be at. If you're not going to rejet after you get there, then I'd leave it jetted for Oklahoma. I've done OK leaving carbs set for Minnesota (elevation ~1000'), even driving over 13,000' passes. Yeah, it's too rich up high, but too rich doesn't seem to be as big a problem as too lean. If you're willing to take the time to rejet it after you get there it'll definitely run better, but even then I'd aim for the right mixture in Ouray. I'd rather it be a little fat idling over the passes than misfiring and knocking on the highway heading into town.

Good thoughts, Bob. Thanks.

My brother and I talked about how to get there and opted for stopping in Pueblo for the first night. That's 10 hours for me and 588 miles, so if I leave at 8 AM, pick up my brother in Kansas, and stop another time or two we should get in around 6 PM there due to the time change. Since Pueblo is at 4700' that will help get us start getting acclimated to the altitude.

Next morning, say at 8 AM, we'll leave and should make Ouray around 3 PM. And I thought I'd re-jet then, which shouldn't take more than about 30 minutes, so assume an hour. But since I'm getting prepared it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Hopefully those two stages will get us used to the altitude. But, taking meds with us just in case is the idea.

As for hydration, I've just added to the list a little ice chest so we can take drinks, if not our lunches, with us. We'll take plenty of water from here and drink it as we go. Thanks for the reminder.

And that's a good idea about jetting for the lowest altitude we'll be at, which looks to be Ouray's 7800 since both Telluride and Silverton are higher. That's basically that "5" on the list above, and I think I have the .107" jets and probably have the .073 x .047" rods. However, I have .073 x .042" rods in now, so even if I don't have the other rods these should do for 4 days. It'll just be a little richer when the vacuum goes low and the rods pop up, but as you said, better to be rich than lean.

Good thoughts, Bob. Thanks.

My brother and I talked about how to get there and opted for stopping in Pueblo for the first night. That's 10 hours for me and 588 miles, so if I leave at 8 AM, pick up my brother in Kansas, and stop another time or two we should get in around 6 PM there due to the time change. Since Pueblo is at 4700' that will help get us start getting acclimated to the altitude.

Next morning, say at 8 AM, we'll leave and should make Ouray around 3 PM. And I thought I'd re-jet then, which shouldn't take more than about 30 minutes, so assume an hour. But since I'm getting prepared it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Hopefully those two stages will get us used to the altitude. But, taking meds with us just in case is the idea.

As for hydration, I've just added to the list a little ice chest so we can take drinks, if not our lunches, with us. We'll take plenty of water from here and drink it as we go. Thanks for the reminder.

And that's a good idea about jetting for the lowest altitude we'll be at, which looks to be Ouray's 7800 since both Telluride and Silverton are higher. That's basically that "5" on the list above, and I think I have the .107" jets and probably have the .073 x .047" rods. However, I have .073 x .042" rods in now, so even if I don't have the other rods these should do for 4 days. It'll just be a little richer when the vacuum goes low and the rods pop up, but as you said, better to be rich than lean.

My thoughts on re-jetting are to leave it alone and not waste the time with it. My family used to come out here (Colorado) in the mid-1970s in a 1970 Ford Torino with a 351 Cleveland. I wasn't old enough to be driving, but I remember the idle speed being a lot lower at the top of Mt. Evans but that was it, everything else operated fine.

When we moved here (1978) we had the carbs re-jetted at that time. But for short-term vacations, I wouldn't worry about it.

Never heard of altitude meds, but I'm sure they exist.

And as others have said, it's generally pretty dry here and hydration is important.

My thoughts on re-jetting are to leave it alone and not waste the time with it. My family used to come out here (Colorado) in the mid-1970s in a 1970 Ford Torino with a 351 Cleveland. I wasn't old enough to be driving, but I remember the idle speed being a lot lower at the top of Mt. Evans but that was it, everything else operated fine.When we moved here (1978) we had the carbs re-jetted at that time. But for short-term vacations, I wouldn't worry about it.Never heard of altitude meds, but I'm sure they exist.And as others have said, it's generally pretty dry here and hydration is important.
Thanks, Chris. I'm not 100% sure I'll re-jet, but I want the option and I want to be prepared with the jets and rods handy.

And right now I don't have the option as the DS jet will not come out. I soaked it in PB Blaster over night and used a screwdriver bit that was a really good fit. But when I hit it with the small 12v drive impact the driver walked out and made ramps out of the screw slots.

So I've tried to call Bill to see what he recommends, but my calls aren't going through. Someone seems to answer but

If I really want it out I think a left-handed screw extractor is the only way to do it, but that will ruin the jet and until it comes out the carb is toast. So one idea is to leave it. :nabble_smiley_cry:

On the other hand, this is Brandon/Bruno2's carb, so I feel obligated to get the jet out or buy the carb from him as he is highly likely to need to swap jets if/when he wants to use it.

Thanks, Chris. I'm not 100% sure I'll re-jet, but I want the option and I want to be prepared with the jets and rods handy.

And right now I don't have the option as the DS jet will not come out. I soaked it in PB Blaster over night and used a screwdriver bit that was a really good fit. But when I hit it with the small 12v drive impact the driver walked out and made ramps out of the screw slots.

So I've tried to call Bill to see what he recommends, but my calls aren't going through. Someone seems to answer but

If I really want it out I think a left-handed screw extractor is the only way to do it, but that will ruin the jet and until it comes out the carb is toast. So one idea is to leave it. :nabble_smiley_cry:

On the other hand, this is Brandon/Bruno2's carb, so I feel obligated to get the jet out or buy the carb from him as he is highly likely to need to swap jets if/when he wants to use it.
Ok, talked to Bill. Having made ramps out of the slots the only choice to get the jet out is to remove the carb, wash it to make sure there's no gas ANYWHERE, heat the area right below the jet with a torch, and use a screw extractor to pull the jet.However, Bill had a better idea: go with bigger metering rods! So I'm going to look at the Eddy chart and see if there's a combo there that will work. But, the Eddy chart is assuming you are using their rods, which are a subset of the Carter rods. So there are probably jet/rod combos that won't show on the chart, and that may be what I need.Anyway, I'll be back... :nabble_smiley_super: