Bullnose Forum

Big Blue To Tackle The GOAT

A) This is why I use Loctite and not Anti-Seize.

B) Be sure you flush the heck out of those wheel arch supports.

Mud loves to sit up there and hold moisture at the pinch weld.

While you don't have to deal with electrolytes like road salt and magnesium chloride 'brine' I can tell you where this will lead.

And that is why I have left a couple of holes in the top of each wheel well, so I can flush them out without having to lay under the truck to spray over the plastic fender liners.

Squirting some oil up there so it can wick into the seam and keep water out will help a lot in the long term.

Big Blue is certainly looking good! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Dane - Yes, the panels are expensive, so I'm bummed that I messed this one up. :nabble_smiley_sad: But I hope my body/paint guy can smooth it out some. He's told me before that he is pretty going doing that, so I'll check with him at some point.

And yes, uneventful trips are the goal. Ours was pretty much that way, with a few small exceptions.

Jim - Let's put it this way, those bolts won't come loose again. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And I did spend a lot of time flushing the wheel arches. Both with the high pressure at the car wash and then with the hose at home. And I put the hose in ahead of the liners several times, so I hope I got it out. But I already have rust there and it is coming through the body putty someone put there. :nabble_smiley_cry: So when I get it on the lift, maybe tomorrow, I'm going to take the liners loose and see what's behind them. And I might put some holes in them to make it easier to clean them next time.

Dane - Yes, the panels are expensive, so I'm bummed that I messed this one up. :nabble_smiley_sad: But I hope my body/paint guy can smooth it out some. He's told me before that he is pretty going doing that, so I'll check with him at some point.

And yes, uneventful trips are the goal. Ours was pretty much that way, with a few small exceptions.

Jim - Let's put it this way, those bolts won't come loose again. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And I did spend a lot of time flushing the wheel arches. Both with the high pressure at the car wash and then with the hose at home. And I put the hose in ahead of the liners several times, so I hope I got it out. But I already have rust there and it is coming through the body putty someone put there. :nabble_smiley_cry: So when I get it on the lift, maybe tomorrow, I'm going to take the liners loose and see what's behind them. And I might put some holes in them to make it easier to clean them next time.

Well, once you welded that good latch in place I wouldn't expect it to come loose again. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I left holes in the metal center section, not the plastic front and rear.

My arches were pretty shot!

If you're sure the seam is thoroughly dry give it some oil.

It can only help keep that rust at bay.

Well, once you welded that good latch in place I wouldn't expect it to come loose again. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I left holes in the metal center section, not the plastic front and rear.

My arches were pretty shot!

If you're sure the seam is thoroughly dry give it some oil.

It can only help keep that rust at bay.

No, I didn't weld it. But I did use the orange Loctite. :nabble_smiley_evil:

On the arches, when I am sure they are dry I'll hit them with some oil. Maybe Fluidfilm?

No, I didn't weld it. But I did use the orange Loctite. :nabble_smiley_evil:

On the arches, when I am sure they are dry I'll hit them with some oil. Maybe Fluidfilm?

I picked up some of the orange Loctite when I last saw it. :nabble_smiley_good:

That's exactly what Fluidfilm is formulated and sold for.

I think you have the right product for the job

Good to know. :nabble_smiley_good:

Bummer on that panel, Gary! I for sure would not have been happy about that finding. Hopefully your paint and autobody guy can fix that. I've seen them do some amazing things with trim.

You should have cleaned up Blue at the house......topsoil!

Bummer on that panel, Gary! I for sure would not have been happy about that finding. Hopefully your paint and autobody guy can fix that. I've seen them do some amazing things with trim.

You should have cleaned up Blue at the house......topsoil!

Well, John, having done as Jim suggested and looked the rear wheel wells over closely there's lots more top soil that needs to come out. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So I need to get the truck back out in the driveway and have another go at it with the hose. Then, when that's done and dry I'll apply the black Fluid Film I ordered today. (Turned out that the can I had was almost empty.)

Anyway, I'm going to wrap up this GOAT thread with one more discovery & pic and then go back to the Transformation thread. I looked the truck over closely today, and while I haven't finished checking all of the bolts for tightness, it looks like everything is still tight. However, I did find this. One of my wires wasn't properly secured and its convolute rubbed on the front driveshaft for a large part of the trip since I had the hubs locked in. But it didn't really harm the convolute, so I tied it up out of the way - securely this time.

Polished_Front_Driveshaft.thumb.jpg.391eb56402fe8cca126cf9e0464429c4.jpg

Well, John, having done as Jim suggested and looked the rear wheel wells over closely there's lots more top soil that needs to come out. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So I need to get the truck back out in the driveway and have another go at it with the hose. Then, when that's done and dry I'll apply the black Fluid Film I ordered today. (Turned out that the can I had was almost empty.)

Anyway, I'm going to wrap up this GOAT thread with one more discovery & pic and then go back to the Transformation thread. I looked the truck over closely today, and while I haven't finished checking all of the bolts for tightness, it looks like everything is still tight. However, I did find this. One of my wires wasn't properly secured and its convolute rubbed on the front driveshaft for a large part of the trip since I had the hubs locked in. But it didn't really harm the convolute, so I tied it up out of the way - securely this time.

I'm glad you haven't found anything else loosened up or overlooked. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yeah, wheel arch rot is one of those things that seems designed into these trucks. :nabble_anim_crazy:

That's why I decided it would be a lot better to make the mud able to dry out, and easier to flush.

I think DieselBrad had suggested putting holes there.

Seems your off-road shake down was successful.

When do you intend to get to work on the air tank and tire carrier?

I'm glad you haven't found anything else loosened up or overlooked. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yeah, wheel arch rot is one of those things that seems designed into these trucks. :nabble_anim_crazy:

That's why I decided it would be a lot better to make the mud able to dry out, and easier to flush.

I think DieselBrad had suggested putting holes there.

Seems your off-road shake down was successful.

When do you intend to get to work on the air tank and tire carrier?

Yes, the wheel well design is horrible. I'm going to add some holes to be able to flush the dirt out, but you don't really have much room to drill w/o hitting the outer panel.

As for the next project, that will be the air compressor and tank. As soon as I get the wheel wells cleaned and Filmed I'll start on that. The spare tire carrier is way off in the distance as EFI comes first.

Overall I'm pleased with Big Blue. He ain't perfect, but he sure is stout. Next up, Ouray! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, the wheel well design is horrible. I'm going to add some holes to be able to flush the dirt out, but you don't really have much room to drill w/o hitting the outer panel.

As for the next project, that will be the air compressor and tank. As soon as I get the wheel wells cleaned and Filmed I'll start on that. The spare tire carrier is way off in the distance as EFI comes first.

Overall I'm pleased with Big Blue. He ain't perfect, but he sure is stout. Next up, Ouray! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, I did have the whole wheel arch removed for replacement, so it was easy for me.

The one side is all opened up already.

I don't it would be too hard to trim it back to solid metal.

And maybe make a hole or two on the other side with a disc in a muffler tool or die grinder.