Bullnose Forums

Combination U joint help!

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

This is my U joint from the rear driveshaft at the transfer case. The one from the rear axle is matching but pretty much disintegrated hence why I'm replacing them.

iMarkup_20210526_122824.jpg.1cf7cda4fb2e73fc4b3b45e2b3af1459.jpg

As you can see its a combination U joint which I've read here on other threads is a thing Ford seemed to do on these trucks. So I've been to two Napa stores this morning trying to find a replacement. The first store sold me this one... -

Screenshot_20210526-122903.thumb.png.2926077c6acf51de34267df3f0fefc0b.png

But as you can see, it has the C ring outside fitting on the 1" 1/16 end whereas I need the outside snap ring fitting on the end of the cap. It turns out... (after being condescended to and told that I was wrong and this MUST be the part "THE COMPUTER SAYS SO!" 🙄)... Napa don't stock the correct one... I need outside snap rings on the smaller cap.

So after doing some digging and from googling "ford 1330 big cap" which i found someone call it that on a mustang forum I came across these two products which seem to have the same measurements but I don't know which one I need... -

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p484_dana_spicer_5_7438x_universal_joint_1330_series_ford_with_2_.html

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p483_dana_spicer_5_1204x_universal_joint_1330_series_ford_with_2_.html

There seems to be some caveat about 'flat flange yoke' and I don't know what that means!

Has anyone come across this on their trucks or can throw their 2 cents in?

Part of me wonders whether my U joints are original or not or whether I'm looking for a part that wasn't originally meant for my driveshaft...

Yours, terribly confused Rob in Virginia 🤦

The U-joint comes with four internal (outside) snap rings.

I don't understand the issue? :nabble_anim_confused:

So I am COMPLETELY over thinking it 😂

I think my head got turned by getting an 'exact' replacement....

So I am COMPLETELY over thinking it 😂

I think my head got turned by getting an 'exact' replacement....

I think it's not uncommon for the aftermarket to consolidate part numbers and make one that is universal.

If you want OEM you can look the part up on Spicer's website.