Bullnose Forums

Brake fluid flush

Hey guys hope everyone is doing great.

What would be the proper way to do a brake fluid flush my passenger front caliper gave out about two weeks ago and I found these nice looking calipers on rockauto from Powerstop that come powder coated.

So I was gonna changed them out yesterday but I looked at the brake fluid and it look pretty nasty and I thought to myself I dont wanna run this stuff in the new calipers what if I do a brake flush. I never done one in my life ever!

All I know the old school way on bleeding the brakes with my dad. I was thinking of going all out and buying that Harbor freight unit.

Flush it like you'd bleed it, starting from the right rear, then left rear, right front, and then left front. Check your master and add fresh fluid frequently so no air gets in. Basically, flush till clean fluid comes out each wheel cylinder.

Flush it like you'd bleed it, starting from the right rear, then left rear, right front, and then left front. Check your master and add fresh fluid frequently so no air gets in. Basically, flush till clean fluid comes out each wheel cylinder.

I'll add that you should suck the nasty fluid out of your reservoir and wipe all the scunge out of there before you start.

Then fill it and commence bleeding.

There's no reason to run a bunch of junk through your system.

I'll add that you should suck the nasty fluid out of your reservoir and wipe all the scunge out of there before you start.

Then fill it and commence bleeding.

There's no reason to run a bunch of junk through your system.

Good point and exactly what I did when I replaced my master.

What would be the proper way to do a brake fluid flush my passenger front caliper gave out about two weeks ago and I found these nice looking calipers on rockauto from Powerstop that come powder coated.

So I was gonna changed them out yesterday but I looked at the brake fluid and it look pretty nasty and I thought to myself I dont wanna run this stuff in the new calipers what if I do a brake flush. I never done one in my life ever!

All I know the old school way on bleeding the brakes with my dad. I was thinking of going all out and buying that Harbor freight unit.

Me personally I have one of those hand operated mityvacs with the brake adapters, I simply use it to pull the fluid out of the master cylinder pour in fresh fluid then go to each wheel and pull fluid through till I get clear fluid.

You can also do it via bleeding as well considering brake lines dont hold a whole lot of fluid themselves.

Me personally I have one of those hand operated mityvacs with the brake adapters, I simply use it to pull the fluid out of the master cylinder pour in fresh fluid then go to each wheel and pull fluid through till I get clear fluid.

You can also do it via bleeding as well considering brake lines dont hold a whole lot of fluid themselves.

I wish my Silverline had a bigger catch bottle.

I think it's only around 4-5oz, and that means emptying it a few times to get clear fluid on that first (RR) slave cylinder....

I wish my Silverline had a bigger catch bottle.

I think it's only around 4-5oz, and that means emptying it a few times to get clear fluid on that first (RR) slave cylinder....

I hope you have the newer plastic Mityvac. I had a metal one and brake fluid got in it when the container got full and it KILLED it. Replaced it with the plastic one.

I hope you have the newer plastic Mityvac. I had a metal one and brake fluid got in it when the container got full and it KILLED it. Replaced it with the plastic one.

I've had the metal one for 30 years.

I did have to replace the diaphragm a couple of years back.

It works fine, but a bigger reservoir with a non-tip base would be nice.

I've had the metal one for 30 years.

I did have to replace the diaphragm a couple of years back.

It works fine, but a bigger reservoir with a non-tip base would be nice.

Yes, a larger reservoir w/a non-tip base would be helpful. But I gave up using my Mityvac to bleed brakes 'cause of the air bleed around the threads on the bleeder screw. That's why I love the later master cylinder - single screw-on lid so it is easy to pressure bleed.

Yes, a larger reservoir w/a non-tip base would be helpful. But I gave up using my Mityvac to bleed brakes 'cause of the air bleed around the threads on the bleeder screw. That's why I love the later master cylinder - single screw-on lid so it is easy to pressure bleed.

When I replaced my MC a few weeks ago, I started with my metal Mityvac, but realized my hand would turn to rubber from all the pumping long before I ever got done... got to be a better way... I started eyeballing the shop vac. I found a leftover chunk of 1/8" metal from a hole saw operation, it covered the end of the shop vac nozzle except for the hole in the middle from the "guide drill". Then I plugged that smaller hole with a cone-shaped piece from my Mityvac kit, which had a hole down the center of it. I pushed that cone into a tube, which lead to the catch reservoir, also from the Mityvac kit. Connected all that to the bleeder nipple and pulled the fluid through in the correct wheel sequence. It comes through pretty fast so be careful not to run the MC dry. Took me about 20 minutes to do all 4 wheels.