Bullnose Forums

Hello 1981 Flareside

I'm new to the truck world but I've always wanted one and when I was ready I started looking around. I decided I wanted something unique that not everyone would have and was a real truck and that was when I came across the Flareside. Being in Florida everything I came across had rust so I searched for it all the way up to New York and I found it 1.5 his north of Atlanta so I flew up and bought it and I love it. It's a 1981 F150 Flareside with a rebuilt 351M dyno'd at 300HP with no frame rust.

Now I'm going to slowly restore it myself with getting larger jobs

done at shops. I know I'm going to need some help do I'll definitely be posting on here for help and directions. Looking forward to seeing everyone's Bullnose.

Resized_IMG_20180507_130213_022_626.thumb.jpg.79935a46db1a555b5a8d27a1be0fb5be.jpg

Welcome to the Bullnose Forum! That's a nice looking truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

The M-block is my favorite engine family, partially because it is an underdog, but mainly because you can get so much power from a fairly small and light engine. And 300 HP from a 351M is a good case in point.

What size tires do you have? They look big. And what gears do you have to accommodate those tires?

I really like the step bars as they look identical to those I have on Big Blue.

So, show us some more pics. Tell us more about the engine, like what intake, exhaust, carb, etc. Transmission, transfer case, and gears.

Welcome number two, and yes, nice truck.

I'm a bit of a nut for the Flaresides as well. I have an '84 in mid-mechanical repair. Having my 302 rebuilt and hopped up, and swapping in a 5spd manual trans. I had a 1980 Flareside many years ago with a 351w and 4spd manual...and it was an itch that I had to scratch as an adult...lol.

Good luck with your new truck. I'd love to have a Flareside 4x4. I personally wouldn't call the 2wd Flaresides rare...not yet at least, but the 4x4 Flareside trucks are harder to find it seems.

Welcome number two, and yes, nice truck.

I'm a bit of a nut for the Flaresides as well. I have an '84 in mid-mechanical repair. Having my 302 rebuilt and hopped up, and swapping in a 5spd manual trans. I had a 1980 Flareside many years ago with a 351w and 4spd manual...and it was an itch that I had to scratch as an adult...lol.

Good luck with your new truck. I'd love to have a Flareside 4x4. I personally wouldn't call the 2wd Flaresides rare...not yet at least, but the 4x4 Flareside trucks are harder to find it seems.

Welcome #3

from another flare side owner.

Mine is also an 81 but has a little 300 six.

I wished mine was that nice when I bought it. I am almost at the body painting stage after a cab off frame rebuild.

Yes we can help when you have questions so ask away!

Dave ----

Welcome #3

from another flare side owner.

Mine is also an 81 but has a little 300 six.

I wished mine was that nice when I bought it. I am almost at the body painting stage after a cab off frame rebuild.

Yes we can help when you have questions so ask away!

Dave ----

Welcome #4

Flaresides turn heads!

Working2.thumb.jpg.5af34c8ed8ce4bd9bed3c73a2fcde3d2.jpg