Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special's Moab Trip - 2021

Very cool! Thanks for sharing Bob!

Definitely want to go to that area, as a tourist that is.

One of the touristy things to do out there is rent a 4x4:nabble_smiley_evil:. Seriously, there are Jeep and ATV rentals (single and side-by-side), with guided trips available, as well as companies that will take you for a ride in their truck. So if someone wanted to gain some experience without risking their own vehicle (or even without having a vehicle), there are options!

Of course, fourwheeling isn't for everyone, and that's fine too. There's no shortage of other things to do. And plenty of hotels and resorts for those that don't want to camp, as well as plenty of more basic campgrounds for those that don't need full hookups for their motorhome. Moab's big industry is tourism. They'll have a way to let you spend money there!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the touristy things to do out there is rent a 4x4:nabble_smiley_evil:. Seriously, there are Jeep and ATV rentals (single and side-by-side), with guided trips available, as well as companies that will take you for a ride in their truck. So if someone wanted to gain some experience without risking their own vehicle (or even without having a vehicle), there are options!

Of course, fourwheeling isn't for everyone, and that's fine too. There's no shortage of other things to do. And plenty of hotels and resorts for those that don't want to camp, as well as plenty of more basic campgrounds for those that don't need full hookups for their motorhome. Moab's big industry is tourism. They'll have a way to let you spend money there!

We rented a Jeep Rubicon in Ouray last year, which got us able to explore and see some beautiful scenery. And the Rubicon was a very capable vehicle. So that's a good option.

Thanks for the kind words!

I wanted to comment about your compliments about the Bronco's articulation and off-road capabilities, but I thought that would fit better in my project thread, so I stuck it there. The Reader's Digest condensed version is that I agree that it does work well, but it really isn't all that special (see my screen name!). It has a few mods that work well. And the size of an early Bronco is certainly not a bad starting point either.

As far as my abilities go, I'm a slow learner, but at least I'm trainable! I've been 'wheeling for 36 years. I'm not very good for having that many years of experience. But I'm not bad and I'm getting better. And the "getting better" is fun!

What's also fun is 'wheeling an unusual trail rig. Bronco's didn't used to be that, but now that they've become "collectible" you don't see many out there. And it's so easy to get a side-by-side or a Wrangler Rubicon that are more capable than my Bronco that you don't see much else on the trails. So when people see me with an old truck they don't expect me to take it where I do, or for me to do it as successfully as I do. It's a lot of fun to surprise them!

Bob, outstanding read!!! I sat down this morning with my cup of coffee and felt like I was there with you guys. You are an exceptional writer, providing a great narrative with pictures that make it all the more real. Really enjoyed it.

I absolutely love those old Broncos! Back in the 80's I was stationed in Iceland and was amazed at the number of Broncos I saw on that island. They aren't that plentiful today and one has to give up their first born to acquire a nice one. That said, doesn't look like you fear REALLY using it....lol! Looks too like the little guy did you right too! Gonna go check out your project thread.

Looking forward to more road trips...............

That sounds like a good idea to rent a Jeep or side by side. Sounds fun!

Wouldn’t mind going places my stock Bronco will make with ease.

Bob, outstanding read!!! I sat down this morning with my cup of coffee and felt like I was there with you guys. You are an exceptional writer, providing a great narrative with pictures that make it all the more real. Really enjoyed it.

I absolutely love those old Broncos! Back in the 80's I was stationed in Iceland and was amazed at the number of Broncos I saw on that island. They aren't that plentiful today and one has to give up their first born to acquire a nice one. That said, doesn't look like you fear REALLY using it....lol! Looks too like the little guy did you right too! Gonna go check out your project thread.

Thanks!!! I'm glad people are appreciating it! Like I keep saying, sharing a trip like this stretches out the enjoyment.

The first time we were in Moab some one asked me "What's it take to 'wheel a collectible vehicle?" My answer is to not think of it as being collectible! I bought this for $6000 almost 20 years ago. I don't like to think about what I have in it now, but I'm sure it's south of $20,000. Buying a new side-by-side will set you back about that much. So I don't really feel like I'm risking all that much REALLY using it. And it might not seem like it to everyone, but I really am pretty careful with it, so I don't think it's that big of a risk.

And I have it to use it, no trailer queens here!

And I'm looking forward to more road trips too, but it'll be a while. I've got other trips I'm looking forward to too, including a Panama Canal cruise that was postponed for a year due to Covid. Road trips will need to wait a bit!

Renting is a great option for many. Like I said above, I have my Bronco to use it, and building it to go difficult places, and then successfully going to those places increases the enjoyment for me. But that's me and I ain't normal! But I think if my younger son can talk his wife into stuff like this he'll be renting. He's a bit intimidated by the repairs and maintenance I go through.

And there are plenty of easier trails out there. The guide book I have (Guide to Moab UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells) lists trails by difficulty. Because of what we want I'm focussing on the "difficult" trails, but there are "easy" and "moderate" as well. You can have whatever kind of fun you want out there!

Thanks!!! I'm glad people are appreciating it! Like I keep saying, sharing a trip like this stretches out the enjoyment.

The first time we were in Moab some one asked me "What's it take to 'wheel a collectible vehicle?" My answer is to not think of it as being collectible! I bought this for $6000 almost 20 years ago. I don't like to think about what I have in it now, but I'm sure it's south of $20,000. Buying a new side-by-side will set you back about that much. So I don't really feel like I'm risking all that much REALLY using it. And it might not seem like it to everyone, but I really am pretty careful with it, so I don't think it's that big of a risk.

And I have it to use it, no trailer queens here!

And I'm looking forward to more road trips too, but it'll be a while. I've got other trips I'm looking forward to too, including a Panama Canal cruise that was postponed for a year due to Covid. Road trips will need to wait a bit!

Renting is a great option for many. Like I said above, I have my Bronco to use it, and building it to go difficult places, and then successfully going to those places increases the enjoyment for me. But that's me and I ain't normal! But I think if my younger son can talk his wife into stuff like this he'll be renting. He's a bit intimidated by the repairs and maintenance I go through.

And there are plenty of easier trails out there. The guide book I have (Guide to Moab UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells) lists trails by difficulty. Because of what we want I'm focussing on the "difficult" trails, but there are "easy" and "moderate" as well. You can have whatever kind of fun you want out there!

That is some pretty area out there.

Thanks for taking us along with you.

Looking forward for the next outing

BTW what were the tires aired down to?

Looked pretty low in some of the pictures then again with all the weight on 1 tire can make it look a lot lower than they are.

Dave ----

That is some pretty area out there.

Thanks for taking us along with you.

Looking forward for the next outing

BTW what were the tires aired down to?

Looked pretty low in some of the pictures then again with all the weight on 1 tire can make it look a lot lower than they are.

Dave ----

I'm running 12 psi on the trails. I'm surprised they don't squish down more than they do at that pressure. But off-road radials in an LT tire have pretty stiff sidewalls, even just at load range C. But that's why I worked to stay with load range C when I bought my mud tires last year. A lot were only available in D or E.

.... Wouldn’t mind going places my stock Bronco will make with ease.

Thinking about it more, I think I sold Potash Road short. That, connected with Shafer Switchbacks, is an easy 2WD road that's fun (Shafer Switchbacks) and has some great views (Shafer and the first 5 miles of Potash). You can also take a side trip out on the White Rim Trail (permit required) and see Musselman Arch and who knows what else. We didn't do that, but from the looks of the area I think it would also be pretty easy 2WD driving in a stock full size truck (more clearance than a minivan might be helpful).

Potash Road was rough and slow, and at the end of a day with about 5 miles of hiking, Lesley and I didn't care for it. But it was only 10 miles in 1 hour (it felt longer to us). So if you went into it knowing that it's rough and slow, but not really all that long, you likely could better appreciate the views on the first half.

Or maybe you'd prefer to go into the park that way. Then the least interesting part of Potash Road would be at the start and you'd have everything to look forward to.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's the best trail out there, but I do think I sold it short. It might be a great day for someone looking to get where not everyone else goes without pushing any limits.

• 7 months later...

Thinking about it more, I think I sold Potash Road short. That, connected with Shafer Switchbacks, is an easy 2WD road that's fun (Shafer Switchbacks) and has some great views (Shafer and the first 5 miles of Potash). You can also take a side trip out on the White Rim Trail (permit required) and see Musselman Arch and who knows what else. We didn't do that, but from the looks of the area I think it would also be pretty easy 2WD driving in a stock full size truck (more clearance than a minivan might be helpful).

Potash Road was rough and slow, and at the end of a day with about 5 miles of hiking, Lesley and I didn't care for it. But it was only 10 miles in 1 hour (it felt longer to us). So if you went into it knowing that it's rough and slow, but not really all that long, you likely could better appreciate the views on the first half.

Or maybe you'd prefer to go into the park that way. Then the least interesting part of Potash Road would be at the start and you'd have everything to look forward to.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's the best trail out there, but I do think I sold it short. It might be a great day for someone looking to get where not everyone else goes without pushing any limits.

I just started a YouTube channel so now I can post the video from this trip. I'll go back and edit it in where it fits in the trip, but I also thought I'd add it here so people don't have to go back through the whole thread to find it.

Our first trail was Elephant Hill inside Canyonlands National Park. It was cool to be on a legitimate 'wheeling trip in a national park!

The first steep hill up, and especially down the back side, gets your attention right away. I wasn't sure I'd be able to drive back up the back side, but fortunately I got to wait for a few vehicles coming up before I could go down, so I got to go to school on them. After that I had the confidence to continue.

There are a few other fun spots on and off the trail after that, some narrows and some good rocks. At one point we hiked out a little ways to some "joints" (I'd call them slot canyons, but I was told that I'd be wrong if I did) that were fun to explore. We skipped going to see the confluence of the Green and Colorado rivers due to time (it was getting late and looking like rain).

Then we had to drive back over the hill we started on. The rain held off until after we were off the trail, which was a big relief. And it was fun watching some other trucks struggle up the hill and then to follow up with no trouble at all!

Lesley didn't think we could top that first day, but our third trail day was Metal Masher, which she ended up deciding was even better! (no video from day 2) There were a number of short, steep climbs (like the one at the start of the video) that were an exciting challenge.

Then from about 1:45 to 6:00 is a narrow, steep climb with a few good ledges. Nothing ridiculous, but the group of side-by-sides that passed us right before this stopped to see if we'd be able to make it. We were!

Our last trail day, as it often is, was our easiest. We meandered around on a trail called Mashed Potatoes, and eventually came to a trail called 3D. Not much challenge for us on this trail, but still some sections that were fun, and, of course, great scenery.

That's it for my home movies for now. But I'll make more as we do more 'wheeling trips!

Thanks for watching!

• 1 year later...

Bob, about you trip at Moab… Did you drive down the Shafer Trail?

If so, I am wondering about the curves radius, going down the canyon… I suppose that a monster like Big Bro cannot turn there.

:nabble_thinking-26_orig: