Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special's Moab Trip - 2021

Thanks for the kind words!

I wanted to comment about your compliments about the Bronco's articulation and off-road capabilities, but I thought that would fit better in my project thread, so I stuck it there. The Reader's Digest condensed version is that I agree that it does work well, but it really isn't all that special (see my screen name!). It has a few mods that work well. And the size of an early Bronco is certainly not a bad starting point either.

As far as my abilities go, I'm a slow learner, but at least I'm trainable! I've been 'wheeling for 36 years. I'm not very good for having that many years of experience. But I'm not bad and I'm getting better. And the "getting better" is fun!

What's also fun is 'wheeling an unusual trail rig. Bronco's didn't used to be that, but now that they've become "collectible" you don't see many out there. And it's so easy to get a side-by-side or a Wrangler Rubicon that are more capable than my Bronco that you don't see much else on the trails. So when people see me with an old truck they don't expect me to take it where I do, or for me to do it as successfully as I do. It's a lot of fun to surprise them!

LOL! I understand the "unusual rig" bit! Scott and I were sitting together last weekend at the overlanding meet when the instructor for the "Recovery Equipment" seminar when around the "room" and asked what we were 'wheeling. He seemed to take a step back when Scott, who was first, told him what he was driving, and then when I said essentially the same thing he was really surprised. Everyone else had some sort of Toyota or a Jeep, all of which were almost new. He seemed to think Scott's truck could shake his like rag doll. :nabble_smiley_evil:

As for learning, you've had a whole bunch of experiences that have taught you what works and what doesn't. That's invaluable and rarely gets forgotten. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! I understand the "unusual rig" bit! Scott and I were sitting together last weekend at the overlanding meet when the instructor for the "Recovery Equipment" seminar when around the "room" and asked what we were 'wheeling. He seemed to take a step back when Scott, who was first, told him what he was driving, and then when I said essentially the same thing he was really surprised. Everyone else had some sort of Toyota or a Jeep, all of which were almost new. He seemed to think Scott's truck could shake his like rag doll. :nabble_smiley_evil:

As for learning, you've had a whole bunch of experiences that have taught you what works and what doesn't. That's invaluable and rarely gets forgotten. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thursday - Corona Arch and Fins N Things

Thursday was supposed to be another tourist day. I had thought we'd hike to Corona Arch (off hwy 279) and then take Long Canyon Road up to Dead Horse Point State Park (the other park Lesley had wanted to do). But she thought that with how tired she had been after hiking around Canyonlands that maybe we shouldn't do both Corona Arch and Dead Horse Point. So she suggested seeing Corona Arch and then doing the northern loop of Fins N Things. I lobbied briefly for Hell's Revenge, but gave in pretty quickly when Lesley pointed out that she was suggesting 'wheeling on a tourist day!

Corona Arch is about a 3 mile round-trip hike. It was a pretty nice hike, quite a few people, but they were being respectful and not hogging the good picture spots. People would go under the arch for a while and then move out to make room for others.

Just before Corona Arch is Bow Tie Arch. Probably not worth a 3 mile hike, but a nice bonus.

Moab_2021_Corona_1.jpg.204a339195fb224fbfd29bb0a434e108.jpg

Just past that is Corona Arch. If you look closely, Lesley is standing under the arch. Gives you some perspective on the size. I guess it's the biggest arch in Utah and that people used to fly planes through it (there's a picture of that at the Moab Diner)! That kind of fun has been outlawed now, but I guess that's OK.

Moab_2021_Corona_2.jpg.f9297ac09384fc8091f9e937200bf583.jpg

There's also a short spur trail off to Pinto Arch. We went down far enough to see that arch too, but not all the way as it was starting to heat up (it topped 90 this day!).

Moab_2021_Corona_3.jpg.8f63a1978bea552937c098baa6c101e9.jpg

Then we went to Fins N Things. This is a trail we did in 2019. Lesley knew she had ridden almost the entire trail that year so she figured she wouldn't need to walk too much in the heat. She did get out three times, but we didn't get many pictures.

Here's an optional climb. It's on the south loop which we skipped in the interest of time, but it's right off a campground, so we could do it quick and get back out:

Moab_2021_Fins_1.jpg.7b796c3f4f119164c9af51ba6599a1b6.jpg

Then we hit the north loop. Here is a section where there are three or four options to go down a small ledge. Last time I took the easiest route, this time I took the steepest. My tires actually slid going down this, something that doesn't happen much on slickrock:

Moab_2021_Fins_2.jpg.1c70e1f091c0b0342fadc8fdf46c537c.jpg

Those two pictures must show some of the "Things", because the "Fins" are at the far west end of the north loop. You can see them from a long way away, with the "blacktop road" meandering across the tops.

Moab_2021_Fins_3.jpg.493b62df1020c0b49f11012076d50ecd.jpg

One of the first fins after you turn back east is pretty steep. I remember being a little freaked by it the first time we were hear, but we were following some Jeeps then and when they made it up I went too. This time we were in the lead with some beginners in a borrowed Jeep following us. Lesley got a little freaked this time and decided to hike up it. It was a little spooky driving it, but I went up with no tire slip.

That was the end of a short trail, er, I mean tourist day! We got back to the campground and hit the pool before dinner, then went into town for a little more shopping and shakes at the diner!

Thursday - Corona Arch and Fins N Things

Thursday was supposed to be another tourist day. I had thought we'd hike to Corona Arch (off hwy 279) and then take Long Canyon Road up to Dead Horse Point State Park (the other park Lesley had wanted to do). But she thought that with how tired she had been after hiking around Canyonlands that maybe we shouldn't do both Corona Arch and Dead Horse Point. So she suggested seeing Corona Arch and then doing the northern loop of Fins N Things. I lobbied briefly for Hell's Revenge, but gave in pretty quickly when Lesley pointed out that she was suggesting 'wheeling on a tourist day!

Corona Arch is about a 3 mile round-trip hike. It was a pretty nice hike, quite a few people, but they were being respectful and not hogging the good picture spots. People would go under the arch for a while and then move out to make room for others.

Just before Corona Arch is Bow Tie Arch. Probably not worth a 3 mile hike, but a nice bonus.

Just past that is Corona Arch. If you look closely, Lesley is standing under the arch. Gives you some perspective on the size. I guess it's the biggest arch in Utah and that people used to fly planes through it (there's a picture of that at the Moab Diner)! That kind of fun has been outlawed now, but I guess that's OK.

There's also a short spur trail off to Pinto Arch. We went down far enough to see that arch too, but not all the way as it was starting to heat up (it topped 90 this day!).

Then we went to Fins N Things. This is a trail we did in 2019. Lesley knew she had ridden almost the entire trail that year so she figured she wouldn't need to walk too much in the heat. She did get out three times, but we didn't get many pictures.

Here's an optional climb. It's on the south loop which we skipped in the interest of time, but it's right off a campground, so we could do it quick and get back out:

Then we hit the north loop. Here is a section where there are three or four options to go down a small ledge. Last time I took the easiest route, this time I took the steepest. My tires actually slid going down this, something that doesn't happen much on slickrock:

Those two pictures must show some of the "Things", because the "Fins" are at the far west end of the north loop. You can see them from a long way away, with the "blacktop road" meandering across the tops.

One of the first fins after you turn back east is pretty steep. I remember being a little freaked by it the first time we were hear, but we were following some Jeeps then and when they made it up I went too. This time we were in the lead with some beginners in a borrowed Jeep following us. Lesley got a little freaked this time and decided to hike up it. It was a little spooky driving it, but I went up with no tire slip.

That was the end of a short trail, er, I mean tourist day! We got back to the campground and hit the pool before dinner, then went into town for a little more shopping and shakes at the diner!

Amazing scenery! Love it!

But I'm not sure about some of those ascents. That looks a bit steep for me. I keep thinking of "what would happen if..." But, as you've said, you have to get used to it and learn what you, and your machine, can do. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Amazing scenery! Love it!

But I'm not sure about some of those ascents. That looks a bit steep for me. I keep thinking of "what would happen if..." But, as you've said, you have to get used to it and learn what you, and your machine, can do. :nabble_smiley_wink:

You also have to get used to what slickrock will do. There's no way I could do climbs like some of these on the smoother rock in Colorado.

You also have to get used to what slickrock will do. There's no way I could do climbs like some of these on the smoother rock in Colorado.

You can tell it is abrasive stuff just looking at the black rubber marks on the trail. And they are solid rocks that don't move on you.

From what little I've seen in Colorado you are either on shale, which provides little traction as it slides on you, or truly hard, slick rock. I would guess that is very, very different from Moab.

You can tell it is abrasive stuff just looking at the black rubber marks on the trail. And they are solid rocks that don't move on you.

From what little I've seen in Colorado you are either on shale, which provides little traction as it slides on you, or truly hard, slick rock. I would guess that is very, very different from Moab.

Man, gorgeous!

Man, gorgeous!

Friday - Mashed Potatoes

Since Lesley had been nervous about trails like Elephant Hill leading up to this trip, I had mostly more moderate trails lined up (other than Elephant Hill and Metal Masher). One of those trails was Mashed Potatoes. My guide book actually lists this as one of the hardest trails in the area, but that's connecting it with The Pickle. It said that other that the first two obstacles (both on The Pickle) the trail was more moderate, with a couple optional hard lines. And that's pretty much what we found.

The guide book shows a picture much like this one, saying that the rocks look like scoops of mashed potatoes. There's a lot more green in our picture though so it's not quite as clear (but maybe mashed potatoes with chives?). And Lesley pointed out that when she makes mashed potatoes it's a lot less lumpy!

Moab_2021_Potatoes_1.jpg.bf29983b987596110269a4e815bf677c.jpg

Possibly the hardest part of the trail was not losing it in that terrain! There were markers painted on the rock, and sometimes there were the tell-tale black rubber marks. But there were still several times where we had to pause a moment and look around to see where we had missed a turn.

There are a couple of short steep places that would be a good place for a more novice 'wheeler to start to experience slickrock traction...

Moab_2021_Potatoes_2.jpg.6d27081d34a6a85a373af7c451633e54.jpg

About in the middle is this hill. The trail up isn't difficult, but I was pretty winded after going back down for this picture and then hiking back up!

Moab_2021_Potatoes_3.jpg.bc4877fa60fb0c992999f4b656e1561c.jpg

As you get near the end there are a couple steep drops that get your attention. It kind of looks like my left rear is a couple inches off the ground here, and from the driver's seat that would have been believable. But when I zoom in on the full-size picture I'm pretty sure that's an illusion. Still, if I don't tell you that it will seem like a better picture, so forget I said anything!

Moab_2021_Potatoes_4.jpg.379e91d072f56929cdbf04b6446c1c95.jpg

This little V-notch you have to cross doesn't look like much, but as high as my rear bumper is, I dragged it for a foot or so here.

Moab_2021_Potatoes_5.jpg.1ce707eb096b8f5844a51fd4a2204417.jpg

This is another picture that looks more impressive than it really is. The crack was pretty wide to straddle at the bottom, but it wasn't a very big climb to get up on it, and then it was an easy cruise up to the end of the crack.

Moab_2021_Potatoes_6.jpg.891cf52b853dfcd4ac7b75a3dba47f9c.jpg

That was it for the actual trail. We still had a bit of meandering to do to get out, getting up to Hidden Canyon overlook on the way...

Moab_2021_Potatoes_7.jpg.71918700d751e824f5bba3ff993a3295.jpg

Near that overlook there was a fun place for lunch, with some cool looking rock formations and some cool feeling shade on a mid 90s day...

Moab_2021_Potatoes_8.jpg.adf505c7dadadb0d42a306e019f72f90.jpg

We ended up spending about 3 1/2 hours and 13 miles on the trail. We only saw one side-by-side on the trail, so we were pretty much on our own.

And unfortunately that was about it for the trip :nabble_smiley_sad:. We headed back to camp, hit the pool, went to town for shakes and started packing up.

Saturday morning we left for home. The only excitement on the drive was having to back out of a gas station in Glenwood Springs when a tanker truck pulled in and blocked the exit that was in front of us, and then having to parallel park a motorhome towing a Bronco in a spot about 20' longer than our rig at the third or fourth rest stop we tried (and I was DONE by that time, so I wasn't leaving that rest stop to look for another one!).

We got home about 3:00 on Sunday afternoon, so we had a pretty relaxed time unpacking and getting ready to go back to work on Monday :nabble_smiley_cry:.

And that's was our trip! Thanks for letting me relive it with you!

Edit to add in January 2022: At one point in this day's wanderings we were on a trail called 3D where we got the only video of the day. Here it is.

Friday - Mashed Potatoes

Since Lesley had been nervous about trails like Elephant Hill leading up to this trip, I had mostly more moderate trails lined up (other than Elephant Hill and Metal Masher). One of those trails was Mashed Potatoes. My guide book actually lists this as one of the hardest trails in the area, but that's connecting it with The Pickle. It said that other that the first two obstacles (both on The Pickle) the trail was more moderate, with a couple optional hard lines. And that's pretty much what we found.

The guide book shows a picture much like this one, saying that the rocks look like scoops of mashed potatoes. There's a lot more green in our picture though so it's not quite as clear (but maybe mashed potatoes with chives?). And Lesley pointed out that when she makes mashed potatoes it's a lot less lumpy!

Possibly the hardest part of the trail was not losing it in that terrain! There were markers painted on the rock, and sometimes there were the tell-tale black rubber marks. But there were still several times where we had to pause a moment and look around to see where we had missed a turn.

There are a couple of short steep places that would be a good place for a more novice 'wheeler to start to experience slickrock traction...

About in the middle is this hill. The trail up isn't difficult, but I was pretty winded after going back down for this picture and then hiking back up!

As you get near the end there are a couple steep drops that get your attention. It kind of looks like my left rear is a couple inches off the ground here, and from the driver's seat that would have been believable. But when I zoom in on the full-size picture I'm pretty sure that's an illusion. Still, if I don't tell you that it will seem like a better picture, so forget I said anything!

This little V-notch you have to cross doesn't look like much, but as high as my rear bumper is, I dragged it for a foot or so here.

This is another picture that looks more impressive than it really is. The crack was pretty wide to straddle at the bottom, but it wasn't a very big climb to get up on it, and then it was an easy cruise up to the end of the crack.

That was it for the actual trail. We still had a bit of meandering to do to get out, getting up to Hidden Canyon overlook on the way...

Near that overlook there was a fun place for lunch, with some cool looking rock formations and some cool feeling shade on a mid 90s day...

We ended up spending about 3 1/2 hours and 13 miles on the trail. We only saw one side-by-side on the trail, so we were pretty much on our own.

And unfortunately that was about it for the trip :nabble_smiley_sad:. We headed back to camp, hit the pool, went to town for shakes and started packing up.

Saturday morning we left for home. The only excitement on the drive was having to back out of a gas station in Glenwood Springs when a tanker truck pulled in and blocked the exit that was in front of us, and then having to parallel park a motorhome towing a Bronco in a spot about 20' longer than our rig at the third or fourth rest stop we tried (and I was DONE by that time, so I wasn't leaving that rest stop to look for another one!).

We got home about 3:00 on Sunday afternoon, so we had a pretty relaxed time unpacking and getting ready to go back to work on Monday :nabble_smiley_cry:.

And that's was our trip! Thanks for letting me relive it with you!

Edit to add in January 2022: At one point in this day's wanderings we were on a trail called 3D where we got the only video of the day. Here it is.

That looks like a fun day! And and trail more my "speed". However, some of those drops look like something Big Blue wouldn't like, and I know I wouldn't either. :nabble_smiley_oh:

So something with a short overhang is essential for some of those? Are there ways around them?

That hidden canyon reminds me of Zane Grey and Riders Of The Purple Sage. Have you read that? (At one point I owned the whole set of Zane's works.)

And the rock formations where you have lunch are cool in so many different ways.

That was a wonderful trip! Can we go again? It was too short!

That looks like a fun day! And and trail more my "speed". However, some of those drops look like something Big Blue wouldn't like, and I know I wouldn't either. :nabble_smiley_oh:

So something with a short overhang is essential for some of those? Are there ways around them?

That hidden canyon reminds me of Zane Grey and Riders Of The Purple Sage. Have you read that? (At one point I owned the whole set of Zane's works.)

And the rock formations where you have lunch are cool in so many different ways.

That was a wonderful trip! Can we go again? It was too short!

A short overhang sure helps. There wasn't an obvious bypass for that V-notch, but I didn't really look that hard. It might work better to take it at more of an angle (if possible, I think it might have been). That would flex you out more, but might keep the bumper off the ground.

As to the steep drops, they aren't as steep with a longer wheelbase! Breakover angle MIGHT be an issue, but remember, my Bronco doesn't have a great breakover with the low radius arm mounts, and I didn't have any issues.

I have not read Zane Grey.

And yes, it was too short, but we can go again! And will! It won't be this year though. We have a pretty full calendar through about March, and none of them are 'wheeling trips. We haven't made any specific plans beyond that, but we will go back to Utah. Lesley wants to check out Zion and Bryce Canyon next time, so we might go to Hurricane (pronounced "Hurricuhn", not like the storm) instead of Moab. Sand Hollow State Park is down there with dunes and some crawling trails. But like I said, that's all just speculation at this point.

A short overhang sure helps. There wasn't an obvious bypass for that V-notch, but I didn't really look that hard. It might work better to take it at more of an angle (if possible, I think it might have been). That would flex you out more, but might keep the bumper off the ground.

As to the steep drops, they aren't as steep with a longer wheelbase! Breakover angle MIGHT be an issue, but remember, my Bronco doesn't have a great breakover with the low radius arm mounts, and I didn't have any issues.

I have not read Zane Grey.

And yes, it was too short, but we can go again! And will! It won't be this year though. We have a pretty full calendar through about March, and none of them are 'wheeling trips. We haven't made any specific plans beyond that, but we will go back to Utah. Lesley wants to check out Zion and Bryce Canyon next time, so we might go to Hurricane (pronounced "Hurricuhn", not like the storm) instead of Moab. Sand Hollow State Park is down there with dunes and some crawling trails. But like I said, that's all just speculation at this point.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing Bob!

Definitely want to go to that area, as a tourist that is.