Bullnose Forums

Why two vacuum lines from distributor?

Been a bit, but I’m FINALLY within a few days of getting the Bronco running with the Sniper EFI set up. Right now I’m running vacuum hoses and noted that I have two vacuum lines (one red, one yellow) coming off the distributor. I assume one was tied to the emissions system, but that was a bit of a mess when I got it.

Just hoping for a little confirmation that I can remove/cap one and still be good to go. I should note it’s a duraspark II set up.

Also, there’s a few electrical wires that used to go to the carb - one coming from the distributor area. Any thoughts on what that could be (pic attached). I looked at the wiring documents, but I’m really terrible with them. I’m hoping I can maybe tap into it when I’m wiring up the Sniper (last big step!!!).

The vacuum lines probably were for advance on the backside of the distributor and retard on the front side. Under some conditions they used one vs the other, usually decided by the ECU.

Not sure what the wires to the carb are, but if you gave me the wire colors I could figure it out. I'd need both the primary as well as the secondary color.

Some are for the stepper motor for leaning the air/fuel ratio. Some are for throttle solenoids. There were several combinations and the wire colors are the key.

Either way, it’s probably not switched power, right? I think it went to the IAC before...

I should have taken a picture of how they are attached to the distributor - they both come off a plastic tree. One behind the other. Seemingly double sourced vacuum? I’ll get a picture tomorrow.

Either way, it’s probably not switched power, right? I think it went to the IAC before...

I should have taken a picture of how they are attached to the distributor - they both come off a plastic tree. One behind the other. Seemingly double sourced vacuum? I’ll get a picture tomorrow.

Don't think there's an idle air controller on a YFA. Those are for EFI.

You know what, I think it might be for the choke... I’ll get you those colors though.

Gary,

I think the hoses to the dist. are the other way around.

Most I have seen the front port is advance and the rear retard.

Easy way to tell is use a hand pumpor put vacuum to them and see what way the pickup plate moves when vacuum is put to it.

Now this brings up a question (or 2).

Was this a feed back system or not?

I ask because the feed back dist. did not have vacuum to it and I dont know of the "before feed back" having 2 ports on the dist., mine dose not, unless it was a Cal. truck maybe?

For the wires to the dist area it would not be the choke as I believe that was 1 wire off the"S" lug of the ALT.

Do we have a little better picture of the plug and the other end where the wires go to?

Just my .02 on them

Dave ----

Gary,

I think the hoses to the dist. are the other way around.

Most I have seen the front port is advance and the rear retard.

Easy way to tell is use a hand pumpor put vacuum to them and see what way the pickup plate moves when vacuum is put to it.

Now this brings up a question (or 2).

Was this a feed back system or not?

I ask because the feed back dist. did not have vacuum to it and I dont know of the "before feed back" having 2 ports on the dist., mine dose not, unless it was a Cal. truck maybe?

For the wires to the dist area it would not be the choke as I believe that was 1 wire off the"S" lug of the ALT.

Do we have a little better picture of the plug and the other end where the wires go to?

Just my .02 on them

Dave ----

I’m having real trouble with images. Here’s the vacuum set up.

DFAE781C-A7CA-436E-84E4-6310A7794B40.jpeg.dbcb63f6e1628c384b9db8946fcb9c39.jpeg