Bullnose Forums

New Document Going On The Site - Engine & Emission Diagnosis

Dane/Grumpin purchased the 1986 Engine/Emissions Diagnosis book and sent it to me for scanning. I finally got started on it today and put up about 1/3 of it - 14 sections.

But I need everyone's help in figuring out just where to put it. Currently it is last in the menu so it'll be easy for you to find and check out.

Also, I'm planning to have each section on separate pages so the information will be found by search engines. But I'd also like your input on the best way to host this information.

Jim - Please check and see if it works for you as there is info on the main page - and I suspect you can't get to it.

Last, I plan to put hyperlinks on the Contents page, as shown below. Those two pages are part of the documentation on the main/top page, but they are kind of hidden. Where would be the best place to put them?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary-

Thanks for the information and making this site more awesome!!!

Thanks, guys. Glad it works for you. I'll try to get the rest of it scanned in the next few days. But could still use some help on where to put it.

However, I'm thinking of placing it in Documentation/Emissions. Thoughts?

Thanks, guys. Glad it works for you. I'll try to get the rest of it scanned in the next few days. But could still use some help on where to put it.

However, I'm thinking of placing it in Documentation/Emissions. Thoughts?

Nice work Dane and Gary.

I know the main shop manual is split and placed on the relevant pages as tabs but this one doesn't seem so cut and dry.

What about a sub menu for the shop manuals in their entirety by year setup like this one is where you have a menu item for each section?

Then if beneficial, a section could be linked to either as a hyperlink or a tab showing the same content - like you are currently doing but instead of the speed control section living on a tab on the Speed Control page it would just be referenced from the manual section.

That make sense?

Of course some (a lot) of the content won't change between some years so it would be dealer's choice on which year to reference...

Nice work Dane and Gary.

I know the main shop manual is split and placed on the relevant pages as tabs but this one doesn't seem so cut and dry.

What about a sub menu for the shop manuals in their entirety by year setup like this one is where you have a menu item for each section?

Then if beneficial, a section could be linked to either as a hyperlink or a tab showing the same content - like you are currently doing but instead of the speed control section living on a tab on the Speed Control page it would just be referenced from the manual section.

That make sense?

Of course some (a lot) of the content won't change between some years so it would be dealer's choice on which year to reference...

Scott - That's an interesting idea. But it wouldn't have to be limited to the shop manual. On the other hand, that could get onerous to put together. :nabble_anim_crazy:

We have FSM sections all over the site. And pages from the MPC. And..... But it would be nice to be able to see where things are.

However, the FSM sections are frequently on tabs within a page and I don't think there's a way to provide a link to the specific tab. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Scott - That's an interesting idea. But it wouldn't have to be limited to the shop manual. On the other hand, that could get onerous to put together. :nabble_anim_crazy:

We have FSM sections all over the site. And pages from the MPC. And..... But it would be nice to be able to see where things are.

However, the FSM sections are frequently on tabs within a page and I don't think there's a way to provide a link to the specific tab. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Onerous for sure and may be too much to redo what is there already.

Because I am actually thinking in reverse of that - so instead of the FSM documents living where they at currently on the various tabs, they would live under the shop manual section.

The tab would then be the one to reference the shop manual section(page) and display it.

Or I guess it could reference the word doc itself but I like the whole page that way if you add some helpful notes outside the word doc, they would show up on the tabs as well.

I know scanning it and organizing it is the hard part but I, and I am sure others, would be happy to send you the manuals I have to complete the years if this daunting task is undertaken.

On that subject, how do you scan these in? Do you scan a page at a time or unbind the manuals (or use the 3 ring versions) and stick them in an auto feed scanner?

Because I am actually thinking in reverse of that - so instead of the FSM documents living where they at currently on the various tabs, they would live under the shop manual section.

The tab would then be the one to reference the shop manual section(page) and display it.

Or I guess it could reference the word doc itself but I like the whole page that way if you add some helpful notes outside the word doc, they would show up on the tabs as well.

I know scanning it and organizing it is the hard part but I, and I am sure others, would be happy to send you the manuals I have to complete the years if this daunting task is undertaken.

On that subject, how do you scan these in? Do you scan a page at a time or unbind the manuals (or use the 3 ring versions) and stick them in an auto feed scanner?

Where is the Like button? I had pieces of this on Photobucket once upon a time, O'll hafta remember this is here, thanks!

Nice work Gary! That’s a lot of manual to scan!

I looked through a couple of pages, looks good to me.

Edit: where to put it? My first thought is the emissions section, but that is because I know that manual exists now.

I might have gone to the engine section first. But then again, I’ve looked in the wrong area for things! :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Chris - The like button was obtrusive so we gave it up some time ago. :nabble_smiley_wink: As for you having bits of this in Photobucket, I'm willing to bet those were pictures. These are pdf's that have been OCR'd. (Chris knows, probably better than I, but for the rest of you that means these documents can be searched for specific text. Or the text can be copied and pasted, as I just did for Andre on the front hub info.)

Dane - I think Emissions is the right place. But I don't want the document to get lost there, so I'm liking Scott's idea about a master contents document.

Scott - I have a sheet-feed scanner and scan in gray scale at 600 dpi. I scanned those 354 pages in just about two hours yesterday, but more of the time was spent OCR'ing rather than scanning.

But that means I have to have individual sheets. I gave up trying to scan bound documents years ago as it was SLOW and gave poor results. (Having said that, I agreed yesterday to scan a bound '96 owners manual that Bill is sending.) Luckily this document is in a 3-ring binder so is easy to take apart. But I have cut up my '81 and '85 FSM's to scan the sections.

Which gets me to the question of placing whole FSM's, or other documents, on the site. Frankly, I'm afraid of getting sued due to copyright issues. There are companies that have paid Ford to create several of the documents in CD form, and if we have a way for someone to download a document for free then they might sue.

It has seemed safer to put sections of the FSM scattered across the site rather than to put the whole document in one place. (No, I'd not put one complete file on, but individual files for each section in the same fashion I've done for the '86 Engine & Emissions document.) Given that, I dunno. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I'd like everyone's thoughts, please.