Bullnose Forums

Headliners: repair or replace?

• 3 months later...

I mention varnish because it's not water based, and therefore won't make it any softer or soggy.

Reviving because I finally knocked this out (for now at least???).

Without further ado, pictures from yesterday and today:

Headliner removed, here's the hole that was punched from the kerploded aerosol can closed back up the best I could :

IMG_20210818_1802301.jpg.4b44aa6e224c159678e92781e067f68a.jpg

I added packing tape to the back to give the area better support. I also had to use packing tape to re-attach one of the front corners which cracked off at the visor hole.

When it came to removing the old adhesive and the paper layer left of the old foam, I found "sanding" it with a dry paper shop towel seemed to knock it off without tearing up the cardboard:

I then blew off the adhesive dust with compressed air... this also helped peel up some stubborn bits of old paper, which led to repeating the dry paper treatment. An issue I ran into was the compressor not producing sufficiently dry air... gotta love summer humidity! Installing a filter/drier corrected the issue.

At that point it was raining and I called it a night. Today I finished up the prep, applied the adhesive, and joined it together:

I beefed a couple edges, but it ended up getting hidden by the roof trim. After letting it stand 10 mins, I started cutting out the holes:

Set in place:

Turns out I cut one of the visor holes a shade too big. Oh well:

You only see it if you look too close...

All buttoned up:

I used this kit, in the 1769 charcoal color:

https://www.yourautotrim.com/hekit36inby6.html

All and all not bad... Although funny enough, the paypal billing info showed a different company as the seller... and they have a very similar kit; it has a different spray adhesive pictured (DAP vs the Camie 393 I received), and my color isn't listed. But it's also a few bucks less: (About $8 after shipping is factored!)

https://www.grahamfabrics.com/headliner-kit-36-inches-by-60-inches-fabric-and-one-can-adhesive/

May be worth considering if they have your color listed. In my case, the color matched very well, so I don't feel so bad about blowing $8 extra. Edit- Looking at both site's "about us" pages, they have the same address, phone number, and "since 1963" line... yep, they are one and the same! Strange... :nabble_anim_crazy:

One more thing knocked out in prep for the truck show... Really though, the only other thing on the "list" of things I "can" get done in time (on my shoestring budget) is bed lining my nasty bed... but that's a whole other can of worms!

IMG_20210818_1832411.jpg.3f49cf202ab4c3532463c3b455dcb997.jpg

IMG_20210819_2030271.thumb.jpg.b9672a47461f0723332cd4e775cf0932.jpg

IMG_20210819_2051201.thumb.jpg.509c40b12bbde092f17295e5e44fcd30.jpg

IMG_20210819_2058361.thumb.jpg.00d161d453e00d5039c6dabf95e6fc28.jpg

IMG_20210819_2143071.thumb.jpg.7a07e00b593e0dae6f76ef5d7b2138f7.jpg

IMG_20210819_2212491.thumb.jpg.565120b984c984857ddb785716ca02d9.jpg

Headliner removed, here's the hole that was punched from the kerploded aerosol can closed back up the best I could :

I added packing tape to the back to give the area better support. I also had to use packing tape to re-attach one of the front corners which cracked off at the visor hole.

When it came to removing the old adhesive and the paper layer left of the old foam, I found "sanding" it with a dry paper shop towel seemed to knock it off without tearing up the cardboard:

I then blew off the adhesive dust with compressed air... this also helped peel up some stubborn bits of old paper, which led to repeating the dry paper treatment. An issue I ran into was the compressor not producing sufficiently dry air... gotta love summer humidity! Installing a filter/drier corrected the issue.

At that point it was raining and I called it a night. Today I finished up the prep, applied the adhesive, and joined it together:

I beefed a couple edges, but it ended up getting hidden by the roof trim. After letting it stand 10 mins, I started cutting out the holes:

Set in place:

All buttoned up:

All and all not bad... Although funny enough, the paypal billing info showed a different company as the seller... and they have a very similar kit; it has a different spray adhesive pictured (DAP vs the Camie 393 I received), and my color isn't listed. But it's also a few bucks less: (About $8 after shipping is factored!)

https://www.grahamfabrics.com/headliner-kit-36-inches-by-60-inches-fabric-and-one-can-adhesive/

May be worth considering if they have your color listed. In my case, the color matched very well, so I don't feel so bad about blowing $8 extra. Edit- Looking at both site's "about us" pages, they have the same address, phone number, and "since 1963" line... yep, they are one and the same! Strange... :nabble_anim_crazy:

One more thing knocked out in prep for the truck show... Really though, the only other thing on the "list" of things I "can" get done in time (on my shoestring budget) is bed lining my nasty bed... but that's a whole other can of worms!

Looks good! Good job!

I can’t see the hole being too big. Turned out nice.

Looks good! Good job!

I can’t see the hole being too big. Turned out nice.

The edge of the fabric is poking out slightly. Upper left corner by the screw.

Given what a cheap repair this was (and how rough my cardboard was), I don't care. If it bothers me (or one of the other shortcomings fails bad enough), I'll probably buy a new one to start over. But for under $50, I figured it was worth a shot.

The edge of the fabric is poking out slightly. Upper left corner by the screw.

Given what a cheap repair this was (and how rough my cardboard was), I don't care. If it bothers me (or one of the other shortcomings fails bad enough), I'll probably buy a new one to start over. But for under $50, I figured it was worth a shot.

Well done, Larry! It looks great, and no one is ever going to see that little bit at the visor. :nabble_anim_claps:

Set in place:

All buttoned up:

Isn't that an easy SATISFYING project? And makes a world of differerence in the apparent quality of the cab area.

Set in place:

All buttoned up:

What a night and day difference!

You should be really happy with how it turned out. :nabble_smiley_good:

What a night and day difference!

You should be really happy with how it turned out. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks for the props, y'all. The real test will be in Oklahoma on the 4th :nabble_smiley_cool:

It is a night and day difference... makes it looks far less like a running barn find and more like a proper driveable classic... There is a noticeable depression where the impact was... but whatever. For $50 and some elbow grease, it's a win in my book.