Bullnose Forums

Headliners: repair or replace?

Next item for my bullnose is to fix the dead headliner.

The fabric is already gone... and the paper is peeling off the board. The board has a busted out area where an aeresol can exploded and embedded the base of the can in the board (happned to a PO); the board is all there, but it would have to be put back together and taped flat.

New fabric and glue is a *lot* cheaper than a new headliner... but is it worth the hassle, especially since mine is in such terrible condition to start with?

Do you have the option of finding a jy board to recover? If not, I'd give the repair a shot. Maybe talk to a shop and see if they have some tips or a recommended foam to hide any repairs? If the board turns out well order the fabric/glue, if it doesn't at least you aren't out much but some time.

I really like the vinyl look :nabble_smiley_good:

Do you have the option of finding a jy board to recover? If not, I'd give the repair a shot. Maybe talk to a shop and see if they have some tips or a recommended foam to hide any repairs? If the board turns out well order the fabric/glue, if it doesn't at least you aren't out much but some time.

I really like the vinyl look :nabble_smiley_good:

Man y 'all have a headliner :nabble_smiley_oh: guess those are top of the line trucks. Mine is just painted steel. One thing is for sure though it has not fallen like some of my other vehicles that do have headliners. One of them I bought brand new and has been garage kept the entire time and it still feel down.:nabble_smiley_sad:

Just use yours to cut a backer from a refrigerator box or something if you're is full of holes and falling apart.

I got a lot on eBay that had a can of spray 88 and enough foam backed fabric to easily recover cover mine.

If you do strip yours, one of those Nylox rotary brushes do a good job of stripping the foam without destroying the board.

Just use yours to cut a backer from a refrigerator box or something if you're is full of holes and falling apart.

I got a lot on eBay that had a can of spray 88 and enough foam backed fabric to easily recover cover mine.

If you do strip yours, one of those Nylox rotary brushes do a good job of stripping the foam without destroying the board.

The material for the hole is still there... it's just busted from impact. I might be able to shove/fold it back together. I'll get pics tomorrow.

It's stripping itself, actually... the paper that the foam was glued to (layer of the board?) is peeling away all over. Have to rip off sections of it to keep it out of my hair/eyes.

Man y 'all have a headliner :nabble_smiley_oh: guess those are top of the line trucks. Mine is just painted steel. One thing is for sure though it has not fallen like some of my other vehicles that do have headliners. One of them I bought brand new and has been garage kept the entire time and it still feel down.:nabble_smiley_sad:

Mine ain't no Lariat or Ranger... Plain old XL. Other than some interior bling (aluminum accents and rosewood cruise wheel and dash panels), factory A/C, and said headliner, mine was bare bones on the inside. I added some features after the fact (Tach, trip odometer, headlight buzzer, a radio with more than AM, and delay wipers) though.

I do remember my dad's old 1987 Chevy Custom-Deluxe 10... that was literally bare bones besides an FM radio, a long bed, and a 305 V8 + automatic. No A/C other than opening windows... and, of course, no headliner. Ran great, only died in 2008 because it rusted to nothing... Seems all of the Chevy trucks I've grown up with/owned (and Astro/Safari vans too!) had rust issues in a bad way, and outright killed 3 of 5. Shame...

Mine ain't no Lariat or Ranger... Plain old XL. Other than some interior bling (aluminum accents and rosewood cruise wheel and dash panels), factory A/C, and said headliner, mine was bare bones on the inside. I added some features after the fact (Tach, trip odometer, headlight buzzer, a radio with more than AM, and delay wipers) though.

I do remember my dad's old 1987 Chevy Custom-Deluxe 10... that was literally bare bones besides an FM radio, a long bed, and a 305 V8 + automatic. No A/C other than opening windows... and, of course, no headliner. Ran great, only died in 2008 because it rusted to nothing... Seems all of the Chevy trucks I've grown up with/owned (and Astro/Safari vans too!) had rust issues in a bad way, and outright killed 3 of 5. Shame...

I had an 84 Dodge that had no headliner and bare bones interior. But the Ford had the backer in there and it was torn at the corners. All the previous material was off - I ran over it with some fine sandpaper and damp rag to get dust off. I used clear packing tape to try to hold the corner together.

I used a kit from https://www.yourautotrim.com/headlinerkits.html. They had 1790 blue listed but not available. I called and guy fixed up that order for me. It was like $48 with shipping. Spray adhesive and foam.

Halfway. I did half at a time.

IMG_20210403_110202401.jpg.fefdfff60fe3026239db23dc8412d438.jpg

You can see where I taped up the corner here. Box on top was just weight to keep the whole thing from flying away on a breezy morning.

IMG_20210403_112302842.jpg.d53af5ff10505543ad534a06ac542e13.jpg

Installed:

IMG_20210403_123946493.jpg.7f7584b04bb75990b8340aaa550ba02c.jpg

I agree that you could probably use a big box to make a new backer if need be. Lay the old one and draw and cut if you can't use original.

Cut holes BEFORE you install. Like the visor holes and poke the screw holes too if possible.

I had an 84 Dodge that had no headliner and bare bones interior. But the Ford had the backer in there and it was torn at the corners. All the previous material was off - I ran over it with some fine sandpaper and damp rag to get dust off. I used clear packing tape to try to hold the corner together.

I used a kit from https://www.yourautotrim.com/headlinerkits.html. They had 1790 blue listed but not available. I called and guy fixed up that order for me. It was like $48 with shipping. Spray adhesive and foam.

Halfway. I did half at a time.

You can see where I taped up the corner here. Box on top was just weight to keep the whole thing from flying away on a breezy morning.

Installed:

I agree that you could probably use a big box to make a new backer if need be. Lay the old one and draw and cut if you can't use original.

Cut holes BEFORE you install. Like the visor holes and poke the screw holes too if possible.

Looks good, Randy!