Bullnose Forums

Grille And Headlight Bezels

I bought new headlights for my truck and started pulling some things apart to get to them, noting my headlight bezels and grille have some fading chrome with damaged and broken tabs. Considering replacing all of that with some re-pops from either NPD or LMC, as these parts are not that expensive. Interestingly, I'm not sure what color this stuff is supposed to be. I painted my headlight bezels black sometime ago and I think they were black/chrome from the factory. Old pictures confirm my headlight bezels were a dark color. My grille is untouched and is argent/chrome. With the headlight bezels black/chrome though, I would have thought that maybe the grille would be black/chrome too.

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this? Also, wondering about the quality of these repops???

Blackie_1.jpg.09ef1a5ed2f48f45539e77a09b42007c.jpg

Paraphrasing a famous person from north of you and east of me, all I know is what I read in the MPC. And it doesn't really provide many true "answers".

The info below is from our page at Documentation/Exterior/Exterior Trim & Moulding. But it is confusing, especially with respect to the headlight doors.

grille-header_orig.thumb.jpg.e1830ecf124afc7389cfd5be2c676d0f.jpggrille_orig.thumb.jpg.c8b774f970ad9b56d978ab6cdc4da101.jpgheadlight-doors-header_orig.thumb.jpg.4f952b2f404c8011f933a0b917066d49.jpgheadlight-door-1_orig.thumb.jpg.a226da9a8f9e51be4aed3bbdbc0df572.jpg

Paraphrasing a famous person from north of you and east of me, all I know is what I read in the MPC. And it doesn't really provide many true "answers".

The info below is from our page at Documentation/Exterior/Exterior Trim & Moulding. But it is confusing, especially with respect to the headlight doors.

Jeez Gary, you're not kidding. I suppose I can compare some part numbers and see if that makes any

sense. Wonder what the difference between Charcoal and Black is?

Also, that grille emblem does not come cheap.....$85 for the emblem, same price as the grille. Must be some mark up in it due to the fact that it says "Ford".

Jeez Gary, you're not kidding. I suppose I can compare some part numbers and see if that makes any

Also, that grille emblem does not come cheap.....$85 for the emblem, same price as the grille. Must be some mark up in it due to the fact that it says "Ford".

Have to keep an eye out. I got my correct '82 grill "Ford" Oval before the redesign in '87. Picked it up NOS off ebay in the original box for $32.42 including shipping.

E2TZ_Grill_Emblem_-_1.jpg.0a811cee1b5c5c9961750381d65ea332.jpg

As far as the charcoal and black goes, I think one is more of a argent color just darker and the other is just a straight black. I havent been able to find photos of the Charcoal one to actually compare, many places list the Charcoal headlight doors but there are no photos of them. Im actually trying to find photos of the reproduction black grill for '83 and up as I am wondering if I should just go a year newer on the grill to try and offset the chrome. Originally I was going to go with the chrome grill to replace my argent silver and grey grill but now with the chrome grill guard installed I feel its too much chrome on the front. I also dont think having the grill guard refinished in black powder coat would look good either, especially if I decide to go with the roll bar in the bed of the truck those I only seen listed for the flareside in chrome/stainless not black.

On the pricing, you will find people that have insane pricing but if you look youll find it cheaper eventually. Its no different than the choke for my '56 Fairlane, when I needed one cheapest I found was $120 for a NOS unit which was too much for a 2 year only part. Then I found one for $75 which I picked up and then a couple weeks ago I picked up another one priced at $25 for stock.

John - Remember that the numbers on the part are not the part numbers. :nabble_anim_crazy:

But I should be able to crossref the ID #'s you find to part numbers, and be able to tell you what the color was originally. And, as I think about it, adding the ID #'s to the table would be a nice feature. So if we know for sure that our parts came from a specific year then give me the ID #'s and I'll add them.

Been thinking on that myself - replacing the chrome on the front. All of mine is "aged". Have decided to research a little more and this thread is what I was thinking as well? There are cheap parts out there - do they fit? Like other Chinese parts - close but will need some massaging to make perfect?

Dude at swap meet was trying to sell me some - said they are completely unavailable - I already knew that was not the case and I really didn't need more "aged" parts.

BUt I think for now, I'm going to let it ride. Got a few other things to care for first and maybe just let the truck be what it is for now. Here is what I have - I cleaned and painted the painted parts with Rustoleum "metallic" or something like that - a dark argent kind of color. I felt the black was too dark and regular silver too light. I like this pretty good and made it some better, even though the chrome is pretty well worn out.

IMG_20210505_180255785_HDR.jpg.c9d1ab8af4030974074b0b87f65074f6.jpg

IMG_20210505_180303493.jpg.e25cbca15401dbeb523873880b81e089.jpg

John - Remember that the numbers on the part are not the part numbers. :nabble_anim_crazy:

But I should be able to crossref the ID #'s you find to part numbers, and be able to tell you what the color was originally. And, as I think about it, adding the ID #'s to the table would be a nice feature. So if we know for sure that our parts came from a specific year then give me the ID #'s and I'll add them.

I'll get you that info this week sometime, Gary.

I really wished I could physically see these parts in both the Black and the Charcoal. That aside, LMC does not even offer the Argent/Chrome Grille, which is what I have. Trying to decide if I want to go back to that or a Black/Chrome or even the Charcoal/Chrome.....arghhh.

And, while I'm there, I'll clean up everything behind the grille, purchase a new "Ford" emblem and, and....well, it never ends!!!

I'll get you that info this week sometime, Gary.

I really wished I could physically see these parts in both the Black and the Charcoal. That aside, LMC does not even offer the Argent/Chrome Grille, which is what I have. Trying to decide if I want to go back to that or a Black/Chrome or even the Charcoal/Chrome.....arghhh.

And, while I'm there, I'll clean up everything behind the grille, purchase a new "Ford" emblem and, and....well, it never ends!!!

Dennis Carpenter has the chrome grill but no mention nor photo to show if its charcoal or black accents.

NPD doesnt seem to be working right now but they have some pieces.

Jeffs has the argent grill which is what my '82 has.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Grill-Argent-1980-1986/productinfo/34706/

Chrome with black, which honestly the photo looks like chrome with charcoal.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Grill-Chrome-w_black-82-86/productinfo/34710/

For the headlight doors just chrome with black.

BUt I think for now, I'm going to let it ride. Got a few other things to care for first and maybe just let the truck be what it is for now. Here is what I have - I cleaned and painted the painted parts with Rustoleum "metallic" or something like that - a dark argent kind of color. I felt the black was too dark and regular silver too light. I like this pretty good and made it some better, even though the chrome is pretty well worn out.

I took the best parts I had and they needed a little repair work to use them.

I also painted mine with a dark argent metallic and like the way they came out.

20191023_155254.jpg.37202fbba86784b646dd2e0c642839ca.jpg

20200101_135937.jpg.06e8071ab2b0032500936006d61260c7.jpg

Dave ----

I took the best parts I had and they needed a little repair work to use them.

I also painted mine with a dark argent metallic and like the way they came out.

Dave ----

They look good, Dave.