Bullnose Forums

Fuel spilling out: A discussion

The standard bed 1980-86 trucks can be a bit finicky, but the DRW models take the cake. The filler necks as the others have posted are a pain due to the design where the incoming fuel down the outer tube runs across the end of the inner (vent) tube. If due to age and possibly having a tank removed and reinstalled the inner hard plastic tube has broken, filling can become almost mission impossible.

In 1987, Ford reversed the design, so incoming fuel runs down the inner tube and the outer one is the vent, this greatly improves the filling process. The other change is in the tank venting, at the top of each tank is a roll over valve, which also incorporates a float to block any overfill from going into the evaporative system. Up to 1986 the line to the canisters is quite small, 1987 up use a 3/8" line and even in 1996 the over 8500 GVWR trucks still had an open to atmosphere small hose.

FWIW, here is a picture of Darth with the original bad removed so the length and some idea of the contortions of the filler necks can be seen:

Note that there is a short section where the cap goes then a long hose into the tanks, inside this is a hard plastic vent tube. I don't have any pictures of the inside. Also you can see the metal piece around the hoses, this is clamped to the bottom of the bed so the hose is essentially horizontal as it runs over the frame.

Apparently, some past ding dong knocked out the top of the filler tube (common when there was still leaded gas). It's a large hole. I'm not sure there is even a vent tube in there. That may have to be a "next project" kinda thing. It's agravating to fill, but I can usually get it pretty quick even going slow. I mean in the old days of mechanical pumps, it took forever to fill anyway and 10 gallons isn't too bad to go slow on - I have yet to run it more than 11 gallons at a fill up. I could always store a section of hose in the bed and slid it in when I fill up. But then I may not save any time over just filling it slowly to start with.

Can this be done without dropping tank? new filler with vent tube? PO did install new tank and I'd ranther not go messing about dropping tank if possible.

Apparently, some past ding dong knocked out the top of the filler tube (common when there was still leaded gas). It's a large hole. I'm not sure there is even a vent tube in there. That may have to be a "next project" kinda thing. It's agravating to fill, but I can usually get it pretty quick even going slow. I mean in the old days of mechanical pumps, it took forever to fill anyway and 10 gallons isn't too bad to go slow on - I have yet to run it more than 11 gallons at a fill up. I could always store a section of hose in the bed and slid it in when I fill up. But then I may not save any time over just filling it slowly to start with.

Can this be done without dropping tank? new filler with vent tube? PO did install new tank and I'd ranther not go messing about dropping tank if possible.

Randy - It can be done w/o dropping the tank, but if it is the rear tank it is difficult. You might want to lower it some to make it easier.

All - This seems to be a recurring problem and I'm wondering if we need to do a writeup on it. But in looking at our documentation pages I see that those were created before tabs were available, so there's a page for filler pipes and another one for tanks. But the problem can be a combination of tank filler pipe, so the writeup really doesn't belong in either.

So I'm thinking that I need to reorganize the pages at Documentation/Fuel Systems to some extent. And somewhere in there to put a writeup on the issues created by a mismatch in the filler pipe & tank, or if the vent hose is crimped or deleted.

Thoughts? Is it worth it?

Randy - It can be done w/o dropping the tank, but if it is the rear tank it is difficult. You might want to lower it some to make it easier.

All - This seems to be a recurring problem and I'm wondering if we need to do a writeup on it. But in looking at our documentation pages I see that those were created before tabs were available, so there's a page for filler pipes and another one for tanks. But the problem can be a combination of tank filler pipe, so the writeup really doesn't belong in either.

So I'm thinking that I need to reorganize the pages at Documentation/Fuel Systems to some extent. And somewhere in there to put a writeup on the issues created by a mismatch in the filler pipe & tank, or if the vent hose is crimped or deleted.

I don't have a rear tank so that isn't an issue.

And yep a writeup wold be great. At this point, fuel system issues are getting more and more common from what I see on here and the FB pages. Especially as guy are dragging these out of fields and such and replacing stuff. The filler is a pretty important part of the fuel system that some folks will shortcut (they did on mine). And that gets a lot of questions about filling speed.

I don't have a rear tank so that isn't an issue.

And yep a writeup wold be great. At this point, fuel system issues are getting more and more common from what I see on here and the FB pages. Especially as guy are dragging these out of fields and such and replacing stuff. The filler is a pretty important part of the fuel system that some folks will shortcut (they did on mine). And that gets a lot of questions about filling speed.

Here is 1 picture of my setup for the rear tank.

You can see the plastic tube and the holder at the top, there is one like in at the tank too.

20180512_103331.jpg.abff5d832a656ad34e8bf5a874fe8cb8.jpg

Because I added a rear tank to my flare side I had to make up the filler hose setup.

Dave ----

Gary,

A definitive source / guide or whatever you want to call it would be helpful. There are many on the internet having these issues, including me - with both tanks. Some say the 87 and up will fit, but it doesn't without modifications. It's also difficult to obtain the missing/damaged parts so a way to document alternatives would be helpful. Thanks!

Troy