Bullnose Forums

1981 F-150 Custom Explorer, 300 I6

Looking to get my engine bay back to factory, or as close as possible. Is there a schematic that would show what it should look like, so far as routing wires, lines, hoses etc?

Also, if anyone on here has an 81 300 I6 explorer, post some pics. would love to see your builds!

There's no one page to help you. Sorry. That's because there are a jillion different combinations of engine, year, accessories, etc. (We recently had a conversation about trying to create some pages for this, but haven't even gotten started.)

But on the wire routing we do have something. Try the page at Documentation/Electrical/Wire Routing.

There is a project that going on now by Jonathan that is looking pretty comprehensive. May want to follow along as he goes.

The wire routing should not be to hard to do as you have 1 harness out of the firewall on the left side that dose the motor wiring (small harness off the main), washer pump, the IGN box that sits on the left inner fender and the left side head light & park/turn/side marker lights.

The other harness comes out on the right side firewall the dose the blower motor, starter solenoid, charging (little harness to the ALT IIRC too from it) and the right side head light & park/turn/side marker lights.

If you have factory AC there is another harness that comes out under the HVAC box that dose the blower motor, kicker solenoid on the carb and the compressor clutch.

Again this should all fall into place that the factory ran it so may only need some of the plastic loop harness holders.

As for vacuum hoses you should have a sticker on the radiator support of how they run and I would find the best way to make them look nice.

Now you did not say how much of the smog stuff is still in place and if you need to left to pass a smog inspection? If you dont have smog check and a lot has been removed you can remove most of the vacuum lines.

You need a line for power brakes if you have them, vacuum advance dist., PVC, air filter flapper valve and HVAC if you have factory AC.

20200222_154835-01.jpg.da44590fbabc407c19c0090df9c8cef0.jpg

Dave ----