Bullnose Forum

Radio Static

The V8's used a condensor/capacitor on the coil to cut that noise, and all of them did on the voltage regulator. Do you have those?

This page from the '85 EVTM shows the one for the regulator. And the one for the ignition system is usually mounted on the coil with the lead going up to one of the terminals. They are about 1 1/2" long and as big around as your pointer finger, with a bracket around them to ground them and one wire coming out.

1985-etm-page21.jpg.b34013f296914b1370bd848334581e36.jpg

The V8's used a condensor/capacitor on the coil to cut that noise, and all of them did on the voltage regulator. Do you have those?

This page from the '85 EVTM shows the one for the regulator. And the one for the ignition system is usually mounted on the coil with the lead going up to one of the terminals. They are about 1 1/2" long and as big around as your pointer finger, with a bracket around them to ground them and one wire coming out.

14ECC5BC-E92A-4BD1-8CEC-BD7BE494BFC3.jpeg.4cf6b8d22cbe3c61959a05b10c2c112c.jpeg

I think that’s what is on my coil (bottom right), not sure about voltage regulator but if all had them there I should. Will one by regulator look the same? Will they just need replacing? Truck is at a garage now so I can’t check, and I don’t have great photos of the regulator, either too far or not good angle to see.

Thanks

Jeremy

I think that’s what is on my coil (bottom right), not sure about voltage regulator but if all had them there I should. Will one by regulator look the same? Will they just need replacing? Truck is at a garage now so I can’t check, and I don’t have great photos of the regulator, either too far or not good angle to see.

Thanks

Jeremy

Yes, that's what is on the coil, and the one on the regulator should be the same. Don't know if the parts stores carry them as I've not every replaced them, but they can probably get old and die. So that would be the first place I'd look.

Yes, that's what is on the coil, and the one on the regulator should be the same. Don't know if the parts stores carry them as I've not every replaced them, but they can probably get old and die. So that would be the first place I'd look.

I will start there...I work at an electricity G&T so I have electrical engineers all around. This may be a problem they will love to solve.

Jeremy

I will start there...I work at an electricity G&T so I have electrical engineers all around. This may be a problem they will love to solve.

Jeremy

I have no idea what the capacitance of the thing is supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure it is any electrolytic capacitor. They may give you some to try and you can just clip them on to see if it helps.

Thanks

Jeremy

Maybe it's time for new plug wires or resistor plugs?

They do break down over time and the secondary side of the ignition is the usual cause for radio static.

I have no idea what the capacitance of the thing is supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure it is any electrolytic capacitor. They may give you some to try and you can just clip them on to see if it helps.

I'm pretty sure they were film capacitors.

That's why the rolled up (in a can) form factor.