Bullnose Forums

PCV system

Just to let y'all know, I'm following along but don't have much to contribute. And especially so on the A/C connection. I have very little experience with those connections, but do know when they don't want to come apart they can be a pain.

On the cooling, I'd be wondering just how warm the engine actually is. The gauges are notorious for being vague, so I'd at least check with an IR thermometer to find out if it really is getting warm.

But the gauges are normally very repeatable. (unless the ICVR goes out)

And I've never seen a sender fail closed.

It would be interesting to see what sort of temps he is really getting with the gauge at the top of its scale.

But the gauges are normally very repeatable. (unless the ICVR goes out)

And I've never seen a sender fail closed.

It would be interesting to see what sort of temps he is really getting with the gauge at the top of its scale.

Very true. But running towards the high end of the scale may be well within the range of temps we would expect. However, that doesn't explain why it seems to be higher lately. Maybe outside air temps are up?

I'd seriously be tempted to abandon the air filter connection and use a simple vented cap at the oil fill.

Is the chrome cap where you have your PCV valve otherwise sealed to the valve cover?

Or does it have vents on the underside?

Just made it back to my RV storage. So to answer you question Jim the Breather is sealed to the valve cover with no vents on the underside, it's only venting from the PCV valve.

As far as the oil filler deal, it's a van chassis so I think I need to keep the tube that goes to the valve cover as my oil filler, I could eliminate the vented line that goes to the underside of the air cleaner if you don't think it would be an issue.

20210508_124958.jpg.43895853047522deb3a15f70bd8d75ef.jpg20210508_130708.jpg.735e2ac7219446a23db963cacab06592.jpg I feel as though me sealing up the leaks in the PCV System has deminished my performance a bit, would it hurt even more to remove one of the only other means of venting the crank case? Would performance be effected by to little crankcase ventilation? Is it possible to get a PVC valve that is to small/restrictive?

Just made it back to my RV storage. So to answer you question Jim the Breather is sealed to the valve cover with no vents on the underside, it's only venting from the PCV valve.

As far as the oil filler deal, it's a van chassis so I think I need to keep the tube that goes to the valve cover as my oil filler, I could eliminate the vented line that goes to the underside of the air cleaner if you don't think it would be an issue.

I feel as though me sealing up the leaks in the PCV System has deminished my performance a bit, would it hurt even more to remove one of the only other means of venting the crank case? Would performance be effected by to little crankcase ventilation? Is it possible to get a PVC valve that is to small/restrictive?

You definitely don't want to eliminate crankcase ventilation.

That's what carries away condensation and acidic vapors.

I'm not aware of having too small or too tight of a PCV valve being a problem.

Maybe someone else has encountered that?

I don't think eliminating vacuum leaks is ever going to decrease performance.

But it could certainly effect idle if you have removed the hot idle compensator (which is a controlled vacuum leak, just like the PCV)

You definitely don't want to eliminate crankcase ventilation.

That's what carries away condensation and acidic vapors.

I'm not aware of having too small or too tight of a PCV valve being a problem.

Maybe someone else has encountered that?

I don't think eliminating vacuum leaks is ever going to decrease performance.

But it could certainly effect idle if you have removed the hot idle compensator (which is a controlled vacuum leak, just like the PCV)

So even though I've desmogged the motor, should I put the HIC back in? It would be in-between the port on the carb that is pulling crank case vaccum, and the PCV valve.

I finally found the old parts I took off, here they are pictured.20210508_140558.jpg.4a301935e92d08c661d252ee1c84ecbb.jpg20210508_140633.jpg.f2855b8f23007adc703618e33f773bc3.jpg

The black rubber is what I couldn't find at Napa, so they gave me the breather.

So even though I've desmogged the motor, should I put the HIC back in? It would be in-between the port on the carb that is pulling crank case vaccum, and the PCV valve.

I finally found the old parts I took off, here they are pictured.

The black rubber is what I couldn't find at Napa, so they gave me the breather.

Nothing in the PCV system is "smog". :nabble_anim_confused:

Ford found a reason the motorhome chassis should have one.

I doubt they spent the engineering $ and time for no reason.

But maybe you find it superfluous. IDK...

Maybe you should try it the next time you have the Cobra out for a road trip?

Nothing in the PCV system is "smog". :nabble_anim_confused:

Ford found a reason the motorhome chassis should have one.

I doubt they spent the engineering $ and time for no reason.

But maybe you find it superfluous. IDK...

Maybe you should try it the next time you have the Cobra out for a road trip?

20210511_181620.jpg.846a1503496380d624b50603e4b36c51.jpgJust got back from a road trip before leaving I cleaned out the old PCV valve and put it back in place of the new one I had just bought. Cant say I noticed much of a difference in performance if any. Although It did feel quite a bit different at 6,000 ft of elevation. We live and she's tuned to 600 ft. Never the less another road trip, and she never let me down, not even once. In other words the tools stayed packed.20210512_182622.jpg.82fb6406c6ca8d78c5b0347749f2c8ea.jpg20210512_122106.jpg.9b51af8bfa1dc4c981c01e30f0939688.jpg20210512_182646.jpg.d081105f8d1e2871717dc24e7c36e80c.jpg