Bullnose Forums

New bullnose owner

taeking

Hi all,

I have just taken over ownership from my dad of an '86 F250 XLT Lariat crewcab 6.9idi 4x4. It needs some tlc but runs pretty well since it has been sitting for the better part of the last 10 years.

I'm sure I will have lots of questions as I work on getting it fixed up. Paint needs rubbing out and a paint job eventually. Lots of cosmetic stuff inside.

First question: I will need to get it smogged before I can register it in Nevada. Any hints to help it pass? I have some Hotshots Secret Extreme fuel additive to help cleanup the fuel injection and will drive it about 1000 miles home. So hope that helps.

20210424_103216.thumb.jpg.593de40992ce0302e43719aefaae961b.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

What part of Nevada? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if we had a city or zip.

As for the truck, it looks straight and without rust. Those are big pluses.

I added your pic, but you may want to look at the how-to on Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's.

I don't know anything about getting a diesel to pass muster, so will leave that to others.

Nevada_Bound.thumb.jpg.52a3e6c83956cb65a410775eebe6d5a1.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

What part of Nevada? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if we had a city or zip.

As for the truck, it looks straight and without rust. Those are big pluses.

I added your pic, but you may want to look at the how-to on Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's.

I don't know anything about getting a diesel to pass muster, so will leave that to others.

Thanks Gary!

I'm in Sparks, NV.

I would also like to know suggestions for reapplying the vinyl inlays to the chrome trim. I have all the pieces. Would the double sided moulding tape work?

I will check out the FAQ more thoroughly.

Thanks Gary!

I'm in Sparks, NV.

I would also like to know suggestions for reapplying the vinyl inlays to the chrome trim. I have all the pieces. Would the double sided moulding tape work?

I will check out the FAQ more thoroughly.

You are now on the map. But you don't happen to know the guy over in Reno that calls himself OleRed do you? I'm going to tag him with this post. Maybe you two can meet.

As for the trim, I'd think something like 3M™ General Trim Adhesive would be the stuff.

You are now on the map. But you don't happen to know the guy over in Reno that calls himself OleRed do you? I'm going to tag him with this post. Maybe you two can meet.

As for the trim, I'd think something like 3M™ General Trim Adhesive would be the stuff.

I don't know much about smogging a diesel either, but I expect if the injectors aren't sticking you're good to go.

You can't really 'chip' these trucks and there were no particulate filters or DEF back then.

Your father may have tweaked the injection pump.

I guess you'll find out when you have it tested.

Welcome!

It's a good looking truck you've been handed down. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Welcome to the forum, beautiful rig you got there!

As Gary said, I'm in Reno. Great to see a fellow northern Nevadan on here! I got my IDI to pass smog without issue even though the injection pump was going out (though I wasn't aware at the time...), so I bet you'll probably be fine.

Welcome to the forum, beautiful rig you got there!

As Gary said, I'm in Reno. Great to see a fellow northern Nevadan on here! I got my IDI to pass smog without issue even though the injection pump was going out (though I wasn't aware at the time...), so I bet you'll probably be fine.

Thanks! We started rubbing it out yesterday so it's starting to look better.

That is good to know about the smog! Did you go to Pro 1? Or do you prefer somewhere else?

If you can recommend or suggest a mechanic in town that will work on an IDI I would appreciate it.

Thanks! We started rubbing it out yesterday so it's starting to look better.

That is good to know about the smog! Did you go to Pro 1? Or do you prefer somewhere else?

If you can recommend or suggest a mechanic in town that will work on an IDI I would appreciate it.

I went to Pro 1, yes. Service was great and I definitely recommend going there for smog.

I haven't had any work done on the truck by a mechanic in Reno yet, but the previous owner took it to McDiesel in Sparks and had nothing but good things to say about the shop, so I'd say they're a good bet.

I went to Pro 1, yes. Service was great and I definitely recommend going there for smog.

I haven't had any work done on the truck by a mechanic in Reno yet, but the previous owner took it to McDiesel in Sparks and had nothing but good things to say about the shop, so I'd say they're a good bet.

Thanks for the recommendations.

My truck passed smog. Pro 1 was great.