Bullnose Forums

Where to get new wheels?

The tires cleared fine before I put the D60 and RSK on, meaning with stock F250 4wd suspension.

And I bought my stereo via CarID and it worked great. But that was the first time I'd used them so I, too, was nervous.

Cool, I guess if that’s the case I’ll just order my wheels from CarID.

I was thinking about these wheels https://www.carid.com/american-racing-wheels/ar172-baja-1pc-polished-441517.html

With these tires (235/85R 16 120S) https://www.carid.com/general-tires/grabber-a-tx-white-lettering-1108171948.html

By the way, what does the 120S stand for?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool, I guess if that’s the case I’ll just order my wheels from CarID.

I was thinking about these wheels https://www.carid.com/american-racing-wheels/ar172-baja-1pc-polished-441517.html

With these tires (235/85R 16 120S) https://www.carid.com/general-tires/grabber-a-tx-white-lettering-1108171948.html

By the way, what does the 120S stand for?

Those are beautiful wheels. But I'm not seeing the dimensions on that page. Am I missing them?

And while I've heard good things about those tires, I've not run them so don't have any personal experience.

Those are beautiful wheels. But I'm not seeing the dimensions on that page. Am I missing them?

And while I've heard good things about those tires, I've not run them so don't have any personal experience.

Here are the dimensions Gary!

E221C4E8-4806-4C8A-B77A-74234FF574CC.jpeg.46ce564f01d551ba17b68a41b47a17b1.jpeg

Now that I think about it, I might go with 265/75R 16 instead for a little wider look.

Here are the dimensions Gary!

Now that I think about it, I might go with 265/75R 16 instead for a little wider look.

I think those wheels are fine. The spec's on mine are 16 x 8", 8 x 6.5" bolt circle, 4" backspace. But those you picked are 16 x 8", .31" x 6.5" bolt circle, 0" backspace. (I've highlighted the differences.

I think they have an error in their listing as the "8 x 165.1" listing is a mix of inches and millimeters, so you are probably good there.

And, if I understand the difference between offset and backspacing then you are good to go. Tire Rack says:

• The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel.

• Backspacing, similar to offset, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel (measured in inches).

So with 8" wide wheels I think the backspacing is 4", which is the offset you want. Right?

As for the tires, I'd go to Tire Rack's specs on the tires you are looking at and see what the rim width should be and pick a tire size with 8" right in the middle of the range.

I think those wheels are fine. The spec's on mine are 16 x 8", 8 x 6.5" bolt circle, 4" backspace. But those you picked are 16 x 8", .31" x 6.5" bolt circle, 0" backspace. (I've highlighted the differences.

I think they have an error in their listing as the "8 x 165.1" listing is a mix of inches and millimeters, so you are probably good there.

And, if I understand the difference between offset and backspacing then you are good to go. Tire Rack says:

• The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel.

• Backspacing, similar to offset, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel (measured in inches).

So with 8" wide wheels I think the backspacing is 4", which is the offset you want. Right?

As for the tires, I'd go to Tire Rack's specs on the tires you are looking at and see what the rim width should be and pick a tire size with 8" right in the middle of the range.

It's not 8 inches Gary.

It's 8 lugs on a 6 1/2" (165.1mm) pattern...

Zero backspace makes no sense unless they mean the wheel hub is dead center in the rim.

But that is not backspace....

It's offset.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/offset-backspacing-what-is-it?shop=offset&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyZmEBhCpARIsALIzmnJYx2knZFpV-nnjC00h7Gjncwm5uTNgs3M-3ISGUSDi7YS-nxzn0FMaAlCMEALw_wcB

I would want to keep offset the same as stock, even if it made for a wider track and deeper wheels.

Otherwise you are really going to lose steering angle.

It's not 8 inches Gary.

It's 8 lugs on a 6 1/2" (165.1mm) pattern...

Zero backspace makes no sense unless they mean the wheel hub is dead center in the rim.

But that is not backspace....

It's offset.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/offset-backspacing-what-is-it?shop=offset&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyZmEBhCpARIsALIzmnJYx2knZFpV-nnjC00h7Gjncwm5uTNgs3M-3ISGUSDi7YS-nxzn0FMaAlCMEALw_wcB

I would want to keep offset the same as stock, even if it made for a wider track and deeper wheels.

Otherwise you are really going to lose steering angle.

Thanks for catching that, Jim!!!!

So herein lies my problem.

I wanted to get 265/75 because I was concerned with rubbing, but the recommended rim size for that size is 8” as the max.

I’d be really happy with 285/75 (recommended rim size is 7.5-9”), but I’m scared it’ll rub on stock suspension.

So herein lies my problem.

I wanted to get 265/75 because I was concerned with rubbing, but the recommended rim size for that size is 8” as the max.

I’d be really happy with 285/75 (recommended rim size is 7.5-9”), but I’m scared it’ll rub on stock suspension.

I had 265/75 Kelly M&S tires on my 7" rims for a year or so.

They rubbed, but not bad. (How often are you making a full lock turn anyhow???)

I had 265/75 Kelly M&S tires on my 7" rims for a year or so.

They rubbed, but not bad. (How often are you making a full lock turn anyhow???)

265s rubbed huh? :nabble_anim_confused:

I think I might go with 265/75 too then. Or I can always go with 285/75 and get an adapter/spacer from that supplier earlier said in this post. I guess I’ll head over to my local tire shop and see in person what the tires look like so I can get a better visualization.

I don’t usually turn lock to lock besides the occasional u turn, but the turning radius on it in the first place isn’t the best :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

265s rubbed huh? :nabble_anim_confused:

I think I might go with 265/75 too then. Or I can always go with 285/75 and get an adapter/spacer from that supplier earlier said in this post. I guess I’ll head over to my local tire shop and see in person what the tires look like so I can get a better visualization.

I don’t usually turn lock to lock besides the occasional u turn, but the turning radius on it in the first place isn’t the best :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Stock 235/85's rub the springs...

I keep saying this. :nabble_anim_confused:

There's a big difference between fender rub and spring rub.

32's are fine. When you start getting 33 and over you have to check.

It is nearly impossible to tell what a tire will look like inflated, and different rim widths will change the appearance too.

Just don't go for a deeper backspaced rim (or a rim with less offset) unless you want to accentuate what is really not a big problem with a stock rim.

My buddy gave me his old 265/75-16 van tires because his new van had 17's.

They had only been mounted for three months that winter, so were practically new.