Bullnose Forums

Emissions components

Sorry I cant help on the dist. if good or not.

As for wiring the HEI dist. someone posted somewhere you can use the same 12volt keyed power wire on the fender to power the HEI and not wire in a relay but I dont know how true this is as I have not tried it.

So with that said you would take that same 12volt keyed power wire on the fender to turn on / off the relay.

The relay would get a full 12 fused volts from the battery. This is what supplies the HEI the 12 volts it needs to work.

The switched power wire listed above to turn the relay on / off.

And you would have a ground wire on the relay to make it work.

The relay & pig tail you should be able to get at any auto parts store and most come with how to wire them up.

As for a new harness you better get good at wiring as no one makes a complete harness for our trucks so you would need to get one that fits everything, mostly GM, so it makes for a lot of fun.

Dave ----

The use of the relay is due to Ford's wiring on these trucks not being designed to feed a full 12V @ the required current draw of an HEI system. GM typically used a 8 or 10ga wire to feed them.

The ignition switches on our trucks are not designed to handle this current nor are the ignition feed wires. A Bosch style square box relay is rated 40 amps feed through on the normally open (closed when energized) contacts, sockets are available usually around the lighting and electrical areas in parts stores. Just be leery of Chinese knockoffs.

Dave is correct, most of the "painless" wiring I have seen is spelled Chevrolet as far what it fits.

Does anyone know about this brand of dizzy ? https://www.topstreetperformance.com/hei-ford-inline-6-distributor-240-350 Also you talk about wiring a relay. What kind, where to buy it and what exact power source do I wire it to. Sorry about the stupid questions. But electrical work is not my strong point. But it seems you guys have a lot of knowledge on this subject. Again as I posted before I want to go with the throttle body route. It should be way more reliable and better performance. I think I have my mind made up to go with the EFI exhaust manifolds and a offenhauser intake.

And again I will be eliminating all of the unnecessary emissions. Also future plans of buying a completely new wiring harness. As a lot of wires are cracking and have been chewed on by packrats. And of course the 3G alternator swap. I'm really starting to like this truck more and more. So the first order of business is to get it reliable to be my daily driver. And get the A/C working again. Arizona summers are brutal.

Use a 'Bosch' style 30 of 40A cube relay with a socket that has an integral mounting tab.

Put it next to the fender mounted starter relay.

Make up a wire from the battery out of the starter relay to 30 of the cube relay.

Take 87 of the relay to the HEI.

56 is ground and can get an eyelet under the mounting screw.

Take the factory red coil wire to the trigger 55.