Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

I notice the factory bolts have a rather large radius under the head.

Suspect this is what anchors the bushings together.

I ended up just cutting through the mount and sleeve because it's all garbage anyhow.

You seem to be far more dedicated to doing things correctly than I am. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim,

I've told him this numerous times. LOL

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up just cutting through the mount and sleeve because it's all garbage anyhow.

You seem to be far more dedicated to doing things correctly than I am. :nabble_smiley_good:

Do you not need to reuse the sleeve? The one in the front radiator mount was able to be used again but not in the best shape. It is threaded inside. I am going to try again to pry it out using the bushing manufactures recommendation.

Jim,

Hey now, I have been know to be a bit of a rebel. Between you, me and the internet I once tightened a bolt without using a torque wrench when nobody was looking.

Jim,

Do you not need to reuse the sleeve? The one in the front radiator mount was able to be used again but not in the best shape. It is threaded inside. I am going to try again to pry it out using the bushing manufactures recommendation.

I live in the salty northeast.

There was nothing worth keeping. :nabble_poo-23_orig:

I ended up making my own frame savers and welding them in a few places.

There was nothing worth keeping. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/poo-23_orig.png

It must really stink to live up north with all that salt and rust.

I made some crude drawings of the specs for the radiator body mount bushing hardware if anyone wants to make it out of stainless. I cleaned them up and used everything again except the old bolt. I didn't do a drawing of the insert yet. Here are the specs and the order of installation.

There was nothing worth keeping. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/poo-23_orig.png

PXL_20220319_180354401.jpg.e8d933ef61911e5dcae10a6a62d7353f.jpg

PXL_20220319_181514330.jpg.f387fac595aaf4dd8a1351d1ad683a11.jpg

PXL_20220320_143509645.jpg.198aee0ca1599d718aae002916a38c0c.jpg

PXL_20220319_184858626.jpg.76dae5432978ef74b1d5a544ea35dbf6.jpg

PXL_20220319_200646384.jpg.a6b783aa1e2b0146da0f2d1637556991.jpg

PXL_20220320_144453504.jpg.d4e9c5f1457e5d8a96c0d5a3cffd80b2.jpg

PXL_20220320_144456852.jpg.8650309c3eaf74069129532186e3a705.jpg

PXL_20220320_144918413.jpg.e8e63e20257c1d8977f1deb337ff3e03.jpg

PXL_20220320_144501472.jpg.1e733a652046457226db2864dd7fbd5d.jpg

PXL_20220320_144913017.jpg.30b132a13f4abb2636280172fd5c8410.jpg

I made some crude drawings of the specs for the radiator body mount bushing hardware if anyone wants to make it out of stainless. I cleaned them up and used everything again except the old bolt. I didn't do a drawing of the insert yet. Here are the specs and the order of installation.

Wow! Looks really good! You do good work. :nabble_smiley_good:

Actually I like getting cold and snow.

The leaves fall, the birds fly away and the bears hibernate.

But the slush, sand and salt on the roads is really harsh on vehicles.

Stainless in contact with an electrolyte just causes whatever it touches to corrode faster. (More nobility on the galvanic scale)

It's okay for a rubber insulated washer or something you want to keep polishing I suppose.

I have a couple of those folding plastic tables.

Ingenious that you are using it as a spray paint rack. 🧐

Stainless in contact with an electrolyte just causes whatever it touches to corrode faster. (More nobility on the galvanic scale)

It's okay for a rubber insulated washer or something you want to keep polishing I suppose.

I am glad you mentioned the stainless reaction. I was wondering about that because I ordered a stainless bolt to replace the one I couldn't extend the threads on properly. Hopefully the corrosion prevention coating will help insulate it.

I use the folding table as a paint stand much more then it is used at a table. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

Now back to that bolt I purchased at Advanced Auto. The threads didn't extend down far enough so I thought I would just extend it with a die. But for some reason the threads didn't go on right and the bolt would get stuck unless you really tried to force it. After working on it for hours I gave up and ordered a stainless bolt from Amazon. I also ordered a stainless nut that should come today. I could force it on but I don't want to damage the bushing insert that is not easy to find a replacement for.

PXL_20220319_132006305.jpg.425d7e3a07dca8f4cd88eff6fcac843c.jpg

PXL_20220319_133346699.jpg.7acd9cb21d85e8c9360790a7d7c70046.jpg

PXL_20220319_141508049.jpg.438298d5a9abf5f16f917503e36dc5db.jpg

PXL_20220319_171207992.jpg.dbc155ad3edb2a0c9ce82bd6a26a35dd.jpg

PXL_20220319_131414980.jpg.d55cddd10e9cadedbe8c6a6641596ed0.jpg

I am glad you mentioned the stainless reaction. I was wondering about that because I ordered a stainless bolt to replace the one I couldn't extend the threads on properly. Hopefully the corrosion prevention coating will help insulate it.

I use the folding table as a paint stand much more then it is used at a table. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Now back to that bolt I purchased at Advanced Auto. The threads didn't extend down far enough so I thought I would just extend it with a die. But for some reason the threads didn't go on right and the bolt would get stuck unless you really tried to force it. After working on it for hours I gave up and ordered a stainless bolt from Amazon. I also ordered a stainless nut that should come today. I could force it on but I don't want to damage the bushing insert that is not easy to find a replacement for.

As I said corrosion is only an issue if electrolytes like salt water get between dissimilar metals.

Stainless on stainless tends to gall and seize when tightened.. (I usually lube with PST)

But I have stainless screws holding my whole engine together. (externally)

They all still have good heads and don't seem to have hurt the block.

Those exhaust manifold fasteners really get destroyed quickly when made of regular steel.

Maybe the bolt you are trying to thread is just too tough for the die you are using?

Maybe Ford specs a different bolt than DIN or ISO?

It's certainly good you've checked before just running it in with an impact from under the truck.