Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

So the oval key is for the doors.

I never had the optional 'security' of a locking good release or the spare tire lock, but I don't think the bitting is the same as the door cylinders.

Someone who did get this option may correct me....

How important is it to you to have your spare tire locked?

Because most of us never had a problem, and I have a whole lot of years and miles on my truck.

I'd imagine the easiest way would be to get that hinge pin out the bottom of it.

Again, I don't know because I've never had to defeat one.

As far as getting a key that does fit, I'm pretty sure there's a bitting code on the hood lock.

They would be the same. And a locksmith could cut a key to that code.

That's not to say it isn't rusted solid inside.

It's in the locksmiths hands now. It's not important to me to have locked but if he can make a key I will use it just to keep the truck original. Higher on the list now is to find the eye bolt.

I never had the optional 'security' of a locking good release or the spare tire lock, but I don't think the bitting is the same as the door cylinders.

How important is it to you to have your spare tire locked?

Because most of us never had a problem, and I have a whole lot of years and miles on my truck.

I'd imagine the easiest way would be to get that hinge pin out the bottom of it.

Again, I don't know because I've never had to defeat one.

As far as getting a key that does fit, I'm pretty sure there's a bitting code on the hood lock.

They would be the same. And a locksmith could cut a key to that code.

That's not to say it isn't rusted solid inside.

It's in the locksmiths hands now. It's not important to me to have locked but if he can make a key I will use it just to keep the truck original. Higher on the list now is to find the eye bolt.

I can't find the bolt. I guess I could purchase some threaded rod and cut it off and have the eye welded on to it. Or if anyone has any ideas on how I can bend it straight again without causing further damage to the threads I could try to chase the threads again. This part number may work but not coming up anywhere to purchase. E2TZ-1408-C

PXL_20210609_134953570.jpg.152760bd5adee2fb7f4111ff1cb5158e.jpg

PXL_20210608_235603081.jpg.c62f86cbb6f4a0de0573a8dcc26f96d6.jpg

I can't find the bolt. I guess I could purchase some threaded rod and cut it off and have the eye welded on to it. Or if anyone has any ideas on how I can bend it straight again without causing further damage to the threads I could try to chase the threads again. This part number may work but not coming up anywhere to purchase. E2TZ-1408-C

My current idea is to thread some nuts to protect the beginning threads, heat up the bend with MAP gas and close it in the vise to try and bend straight.

Incase it helps. My 82 Bronco uses the same key for the door and hood release.

I would just get a couple of nuts so I could grab that bolt in the vise and thread one up as close to the bend as I could.

That way you have a fulcrum where the bend starts.

Heat it up. Bend it back.

Someone must have bottomed that truck out or backed over a stump.

They are not easy to bend.

It seems the door key is the same bitting as the hood and spare wheel lock.

So you might call the locksmith before it costs you a bunch of $ for a key you already have..

Incase it helps. My 82 Bronco uses the same key for the door and hood release.

Thanks for the feedback. It is good to know.

I would just get a couple of nuts so I could grab that bolt in the vise and thread one up as close to the bend as I could.

So you might call the locksmith before it costs you a bunch of $ for a key you already have..

I will give that a try. I can't make it much worse. It is possible it got bent when the tow truck driver was trying to push the truck into my driveway. He was pushing from the back but I couldn't see where it was being pushed from. (Added security camera still shot)

I don't have door keys. It is always unlocked and keys were never provided. But I would like to think if I did have keys I would of tried that first. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

PXL_20210609_185226899.jpg.e9a98a4fd00a1884aae4042e5763511c.jpg

I will give that a try. I can't make it much worse. It is possible it got bent when the tow truck driver was trying to push the truck into my driveway. He was pushing from the back but I couldn't see where it was being pushed from. (Added security camera still shot)

I don't have door keys. It is always unlocked and keys were never provided. But I would like to think if I did have keys I would of tried that first. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Well, the oval is a door key....

I don't know why the PO would hand you one that doesn't work. :nabble_anim_confused:

With the advent of the Aeronose trucks Ford did away with the opposite keyway for the doors and had a single key that fits everything.

I changed over to that system when my ignition lock wore out.

Well, the oval is a door key....

I don't know why the PO would hand you one that doesn't work. :nabble_anim_confused:

With the advent of the Aeronose trucks Ford did away with the opposite keyway for the doors and had a single key that fits everything.

I changed over to that system when my ignition lock wore out.

They gave me that key a few weeks after I got the truck when I was getting the title transferred. I was excited when they found it but it didn't work with anything. I am not sure where she found that key or what it was for.

I think I may need a new ignition lock soon. I don't like the way the key turns. It feels so mushy and strange. Not a solid auto return after starting too.