Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

I removed the rear axel vent and discovered it was blocked up inside. It is currently in the ultrasonic cleaner. I chased the threads on the vent and the rear axel. I left the thread chaser in the rear axel to keep stuff out of it until I install the vent back after it is cleaned up.

PXL_20210511_231616187.jpg.dd5806c18968d72a8838ffc635e808a4.jpg

Ok you can block off the the vacuum till you get the Tee but right now it is not plugged off.

You have vacuum still coming from the PCV to the Tee and you have 1 side plugged but you still have full vacuum to the canister(s).

You need to plug it off at the PCV.

Now that I get looking at with out the purge valve to only open at a certain time when not at a idle.

So you will need to put a restriction in the line close to the PCV like I did but even a smaller jet.

What I plan on doing when I put my system back together is get a Tee made for different size hose that you cut the ends for the size hose that will go on it.

The side of the Tee going to the PCV I will not cut the end so it should have a smaller opening and if it dose not I can melt the end closed and use a small drill bit to make a small hole.

BTW you can find the Tee I talk of on the wall at Auto Zone and for that brass one you ordered the hard ware stores have it around here.

Dave ----

The drawing is going to be correct.

The diagram is more of a schematic, but always shows components in their correct relative positions.

Ford wouldn't have put a plastic valve setting on top of a hot EGR valve.

So I don't think your photo is "right" at all.

But if you're going to delete it, why does any of that matter?

I don't know if I will delete it. Trying to figure out the best options now. I am okay with fixing it but just need more details to do it correctly. I will put a plug over the tee until I figure out the best way. After I get the truck running I should get a better idea of what it likes and doesn't like.

In this picture and think others I have seen you have the metal fuel line in a clip that I think is on the air filter assy. right?

If so the metal line is not held by that clip. The rubber hose I think going to the flapper valve on the snorkel goes into that clip.

The fuel line just runs across the valve cover and would be longer where a short hose then goes from the metal line to the fuel filter screwed into the carb.

My screw in filter takes a flare fitting line and has a 90* bend. I then have a 2nd filter that has hose nipples at both ends. This fits where your longish rubber hose is and I use 2 short hoses to fit it to the metal line prom the pump.

20191104_125307.jpg.b763028d42fd11d3038d40386e5cc2ec.jpg

Dave ----

In this picture and think others I have seen you have the metal fuel line in a clip that I think is on the air filter assy. right?

If so the metal line is not held by that clip. The rubber hose I think going to the flapper valve on the snorkel goes into that clip.

The fuel line just runs across the valve cover and would be longer where a short hose then goes from the metal line to the fuel filter screwed into the carb.

My screw in filter takes a flare fitting line and has a 90* bend. I then have a 2nd filter that has hose nipples at both ends. This fits where your longish rubber hose is and I use 2 short hoses to fit it to the metal line prom the pump.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96788/20191104_125307.jpg

Dave ----

I looked online for more pictures and found other trucks where the fuel line is held in by a metal piece or bracket. One truck held on a rubber hose and the fuel line at the same time. My truck came like that but I don't know if it was like that from the factory or not. Here are some pictures I found.

15497408551432811864992560121061_2c87b8c8dcb1996ab20e734208123e2f195d53c4_2.thumb.jpg.b033bf96478fd80ebcecfe579ebb0cd1.jpg

68171208b99454c239da7ccc444a9afa_2.jpg.c269ab1c6906f7cd8887f4dc18386336.jpg

Screenshot_20210512-161601_2.thumb.png.f4ba6b142804bbc457dac3a8f30b3afa.png

887b0fdc0e23821286134c1ff47d8c16_3.jpg.3f539b7ddc65b40c21d905923268268d.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96787/PXL_20210511_231616187.jpg

Ok you can block off the the vacuum till you get the Tee but right now it is not plugged off.

You have vacuum still coming from the PCV to the Tee and you have 1 side plugged but you still have full vacuum to the canister(s).

Now that I get looking at with out the purge valve to only open at a certain time when not at a idle.

So you will need to put a restriction in the line close to the PCV like I did but even a smaller jet.

What I plan on doing when I put my system back together is get a Tee made for different size hose that you cut the ends for the size hose that will go on it.

The side of the Tee going to the PCV I will not cut the end so it should have a smaller opening and if it dose not I can melt the end closed and use a small drill bit to make a small hole.

BTW you can find the Tee I talk of on the wall at Auto Zone and for that brass one you ordered the hard ware stores have it around here.

Dave ----

I have the whole line removed right now. It doesn't really matter at this point because the truck is not running yet. But I will get it sorted before running. Hopefully I can find the parts at a salvage yard or eBay.

Dave ----

I have the whole line removed right now. It doesn't really matter at this point because the truck is not running yet. But I will get it sorted before running. Hopefully I can find the parts at a salvage yard or eBay.

Funny in California it goes direct from the PCV to the Tee but looks like an electric component is in between. I think it is called a Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid. But I don't have the electrical connection and don't know what activates it. I don't understand why California emissions would be more simple in this case.

Purge_California.thumb.jpg.6ddc6868a4721ea1d08a8c831fc91c0a.jpg

rsw_600h_600.jpg.e776476e2fda637969bd6d9202f1616b.jpg

Dave ----

Funny in California it goes direct from the PCV to the Tee but looks like an electric component is in between. I think it is called a Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid. But I don't have the electrical connection and don't know what activates it. I don't understand why California emissions would be more simple in this case.

Someone asked earlier about why vacuum lines are not done correctly. They are so confusing and we don't understand them completely. I'm trying to follow along but it's very confusing.

Y'all keep up the good work. This will become THE resource for the 4.9 vacuum layout.

Jonathan, a good mapping when you get it completed would probably be something Gary could archive. Plus the insights from the contributors to this part of the thread.

Someone asked earlier about why vacuum lines are not done correctly. They are so confusing and we don't understand them completely. I'm trying to follow along but it's very confusing.

Y'all keep up the good work. This will become THE resource for the 4.9 vacuum layout.

Jonathan, a good mapping when you get it completed would probably be something Gary could archive. Plus the insights from the contributors to this part of the thread.

I see the clip is on the valve cover and not the air filter assembly like I thought :nabble_smiley_blush:

Guess you are right.

If you have the under hood vacuum line sticker it's not hard to follow.

If Jonathan has all the parts, mainly the purge valve, then shouldn't be too hard to run the lines.

Dave ----

I will document it the best I can and summarize in simple terms if possible in the end. But my theory for vacuum line deletion is a fix quick cause and effect. It is a band aid to compensate for other issues in the carburetor or such. You block off this line and it runs better. But the root cause of the issue was never addressed.

I see the clip is on the valve cover and not the air filter assembly like I thought :nabble_smiley_blush:

Guess you are right.

If you have the under hood vacuum line sticker it's not hard to follow.

If Jonathan has all the parts, mainly the purge valve, then shouldn't be too hard to run the lines.

Dave ----

Thanks Dave, I think the purge valve is not hard to find on eBay but I am having trouble isolating what it is connected to it. It looks like more then just vacuum lines. It appears to be a connection of sorts. I wish I could find some good pictures of a complete and accurate truck.