Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

After installing the new fuel pump I tested that it could pull a vacuum. After that I put a fuel container on the ground and let it pump up the fuel whilst cranking the engine. The test worked good so it looks like I am ready to install the fuel tank. I also installed the threaded fuel filter on the carburetor. It seemed not to want to stop when I was screwing it in. I worried I might crack the carburetor. So I just snugged it up and didn't try to go any tighter. If it leaks I can always tighten up some more.

Now question time. Why is there a can of beans in the engine compartment? And why does it leak when I crank the engine?

PXL_20210509_205303306.jpg.5242e9056bdb80d8b10b4c3e2b8d8909.jpg

PXL_20210509_193854692.jpg.ee6452c502e3c24aaf2ef2cf38239789.jpg

Now question time. Why is there a can of beans in the engine compartment? And why does it leak when I crank the engine?

Next question is carb related. Any tips on getting this line to stay in the carb? It keeps popping out. What is it called or do?

PXL_20210509_205044257.jpg.9d6f5c85693bf2b36bf503867ddac4c2.jpg

PXL_20210509_205030947.jpg.1fe7c16bed1d6967a11688f1469651f8.jpg

Next question is carb related. Any tips on getting this line to stay in the carb? It keeps popping out. What is it called or do?

It's a vacuum reservoir (and obviously a vacuum leak, now)

The bowl vent long your carburetor should be connected to a check valve and then to the charcoal canister.

I imagine that 40 years of engine heat and gas fumes has finally killed the rubber's elasticity.

The bean can is actually a vacuum reservoir. It shouldn't leak and it shouldn't have anything in it. Some have fiberglassed their old one to repair it, but I'd recommend getting another one. There are at least two sizes of cans and then there's the plastic ball. Any of them would work.

As far as the hose, I think it is the vent hose to pull vapors from the bowl of the carb into the charcoal canister. And you should be able to replace it with a piece of fuel line the right size.

Looks good! I like how that scraper seems to have worked. And that gasket spray would be a big help in getting things lined up.

But where did you get the spec of 25 ft-lbs? The factory shop manual (Documentation/Engines/300 Six) says 12 - 18. I don't know that 25 will cause a problem, but....

I was going to do 27 but it seemed to much so I dropped it to 25. My manual in the fuel pump chapter says 19-27 ft-lbs.

Fuel_Pump.jpg.dacf7067817ed64ba9428f188f4f7109.jpg

The bean can is actually a vacuum reservoir. It shouldn't leak and it shouldn't have anything in it. Some have fiberglassed their old one to repair it, but I'd recommend getting another one. There are at least two sizes of cans and then there's the plastic ball. Any of them would work.

As far as the hose, I think it is the vent hose to pull vapors from the bowl of the carb into the charcoal canister. And you should be able to replace it with a piece of fuel line the right size.

Thank you Gary. I will look for the vacuum reservoir. As for the vent hose there seems to be a coupler that attaches the line to the carb. But it won't stay in. Maybe it shrunk over the years. The line is very fat.

Looks good! I like how that scraper seems to have worked. And that gasket spray would be a big help in getting things lined up.

But where did you get the spec of 25 ft-lbs? The factory shop manual (Documentation/Engines/300 Six) says 12 - 18. I don't know that 25 will cause a problem, but....

I was going to do 27 but it seemed to much so I dropped it to 25. My manual in the fuel pump chapter says 19-27 ft-lbs.

What manual do you have?

Oops - late to that part of the party. Never mind...

THat's a vacuum can. Not sure why it's leaking or why it has fluid in it. Possibly failing? Is that over near the heaterbox? I have one over there - it is a tank to keep vacuum ready for the vent controls from the dash. I think.

Might clean it out and check it, see if it holds vacuum.

It's a vacuum reservoir (and obviously a vacuum leak, now)

The bowl vent long your carburetor should be connected to a check valve and then to the charcoal canister.

I imagine that 40 years of engine heat and gas fumes has finally killed the rubber's elasticity.

Thanks Jim, I will look for a new coupler and line. The coupler must of shrunk if it is just a press fit.