Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

I wouldn't trim those corners. If you get inside the weled, it would ruin tank. And if that is normal as said above, you will lose points at a concours event if you go messing about. LOL.

I think I would gain points at a Concours event right? I thought Concours quality cars are given a restoration to a standard far exceeding that of the car when it was new.

The weld stands out. Easier to avoid then a dogs quick when you are cutting their nails. Actually I can cut my guinea pigs nails with out making him bleed using electrical side cutters. I should be able to avoid the weld. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Just for a extra challenge I will drink two wobble pops before the attempt!

I wouldn't trim those corners. If you get inside the weled, it would ruin tank. And if that is normal as said above, you will lose points at a concours event if you go messing about. LOL.

I think I would gain points at a Concours event right? I thought Concours quality cars are given a restoration to a standard far exceeding that of the car when it was new.

The weld stands out. Easier to avoid then a dogs quick when you are cutting their nails. Actually I can cut my guinea pigs nails with out making him bleed using electrical side cutters. I should be able to avoid the weld. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Just for a extra challenge I will drink two wobble pops before the attempt!

What would I know about Concours, really? I thought it had to be dead nuts accurate to the day it rolled off the line.

Is there a reason for the curl? To help make sure everything doesn't vibrate apart? Or to keep ppl like us from lobotomizing themselves on those sharp corners? I have no idea. I'm not an engineer or safety guy thinking about this.

One of those corners in photos looked like it was rolled up past the weld was my only thought there.

Think it will speak this weekend? I hope your parts get on in.

A guy's just going ALL factree on this one.

Oh yeah... BRING THE THUNDER!

LOL it will be very factree! I can't wait to bring the thunder! You will hear me celebrate from your house! I should live stream the first start. :nabble_smiley_happy:

At least video. We're all getting in on this one, seems like.

What would I know about Concours, really? I thought it had to be dead nuts accurate to the day it rolled off the line.

Is there a reason for the curl? To help make sure everything doesn't vibrate apart? Or to keep ppl like us from lobotomizing themselves on those sharp corners? I have no idea. I'm not an engineer or safety guy thinking about this.

One of those corners in photos looked like it was rolled up past the weld was my only thought there.

Think it will speak this weekend? I hope your parts get on in.

I am not sure why it curled. I just ASSumed it was done during shipping. I am not sure they care enough about us to do it for safety. Unless they do it to keep it from poking the box. But if they cared that much I wish they would add some foam for five cents. I would pay more for it to be packed properly.

I can heat it up and unbend it before trimming.

LMC dropped the ball on shipping. They only created a label yesterday and it was not picked up yet. I maybe able to try and run it off an IV this weekend just for fun using the old lightning components.

You're always going to find some stretch marks on single stamped deep drawn sheet metal.

This isn't a body panel, and the manufacturers aren't going to run it through multiple (very expensive) press dies when it is never seen.

Just like the corners that are folded and not trimmed.

As long as the tank is not all banged up this is what you would find on the dealers floor in 1980

Interesting. Do you mean the corners are folded on purpose? Can I trim the corners with tin snips then? I have time since I am still waiting on other parts for the fuel tank.

I've said the corners are folded on purpose two times before in this thread

Yes, it is intentional

The sheet needs to be gripped somewhere when the die slams closed.

And I imagine the pinch welding machine just leaves them long.

I don't know if I would mess with them.

Yes, it is intentional

Sorry about that. I am a little slow. You may need to tell me a few more times before it soaks in. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Yeah, I am not sure I will mess with it. I worry when I bend it straight I may compromise the weld.

Yes, it is intentional

Sorry about that. I am a little slow. You may need to tell me a few more times before it soaks in. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Yeah, I am not sure I will mess with it. I worry when I bend it straight I may compromise the weld.

They were bent after welding...

I think I have higher priorities than fixing something that has been easily 'good enough' for what's probably billions of ICE vehicles over 100+ years.

I think I have higher priorities than fixing something that has been easily 'good enough' for what's probably billions of ICE vehicles over 100+ years.

I understand that part, I was thinking more on the line of metal fatigue. Bend once twice.. Three times a lady and before you know it is broken.

I understand that part, I was thinking more on the line of metal fatigue. Bend once twice.. Three times a lady and before you know it is broken.

This is dead soft steel prior to forming, and the flat ears haven't been workformed at all.

The weld seam is well above the annealing temperature and hasn't been quenched.

You are not going to see or cause any damage. (on any level)