Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

Unfortunately, we all learn from others in a bad way sometimes. You have the bad luck on this one. Ugh, sorry. BUT, Gary had a post other day where he epoxied some plastics back together. You may be able to epoxy the air cleaner bracket back together? Maybe epoxy a metal reinforcement to the back side where it won't be seen, but helps hold it all together when complete. I'd like to get one of those air cleaner pieces and get all the ducting back on mine someday. I have the snorkel air cleaner, but nothing attached to it for cold or warm air.

I have no idea what's under my battery yet. Has a bungee cord wrapped a couple times holding it in securely, so I'm afraid to look. I might make it less stable if I mess with it.

You're getting a lot done though. Keep plugging away.

Thanks for the feedback Randy. I may try epoxy. Right now the air intake is holding on by a thread but after it starts to run and vibrate I don't think it will last long. I did order a flexible hose from LMC that should fit but didn't install it yet since I need to take the air filter off anyway. The battery is so heavy I didn't want to take a chance of it flying around. If you order the parts like I did be ready to fight for hours. An extra set of hands would of helped for sure. Someone to form the metal while you try to get a screw in. I put in one screw at a time loose and formed the metal until the next went in loose and kept doing that until they were all in loose. Then tightened down a little at a time on each one until they were all tight. It is standard operating procedure for these things but I thought I would mention it to help others that may not know. I will do everything possible to avoid having to order replacement panels or hood. If the stinking battery tray was a fight I can't imagining getting a hood to match up or quarter panel.

I did a post on putting in one of those battery trays. Because it’s plastic and years old they don’t line up.

I used a jack and 2x4’s to position it and get it lined up. I don’t think it’s anyone’s fault, just the material used.

I did a post on putting in one of those battery trays. Because it’s plastic and years old they don’t line up.

I used a jack and 2x4’s to position it and get it lined up. I don’t think it’s anyone’s fault, just the material used.

I think Gary has gone to the '87+ battery tray that goes on top of the plastic fender and has a stay to the radiator support, like mine.

They seem a lot easier to deal with.

There also might be a review for Filler Neck Supply.

They probably have everything you need, from tank straps to the filler neck itself.

IME they're easy to deal with.

Mine was metal, the only thing that was plastic was the wheel well. The wheel well was not an issue but getting all the metal pieces to line up was. I had to remove it a few times to form the metal to get close enough to the screw holes to get them in. And I still had to pry everything around to get it to work.

I think Gary has gone to the '87+ battery tray that goes on top of the plastic fender and has a stay to the radiator support, like mine.

They seem a lot easier to deal with.

There also might be a review for Filler Neck Supply.

They probably have everything you need, from tank straps to the filler neck itself.

IME they're easy to deal with.

Thanks for the link. Looks like they only have a two piece filler neck you have to assemble to get to work. I got a tracking number created notice from FedEx for LMC. If it really ships today I should get the filler neck on Saturday. It is a one piece that is formed to fit like OEM hopefully. Also the vent seal and valve too.

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/1980-1981-1982-1983-1984-1985-1986-ford-f-series-stepside-outer-fuel-filler-hose-front-tank/

Mine was metal, the only thing that was plastic was the wheel well. The wheel well was not an issue but getting all the metal pieces to line up was. I had to remove it a few times to form the metal to get close enough to the screw holes to get them in. And I still had to pry everything around to get it to work.

I believe Dane is saying that his inner fender well sagged over the years and he couldn't get the support up into place.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble getting LMC. parts to fit.

I've never run into that.

Yes, mine is also. That’s what I did. Used the jack and 2x4’s to manipulate it in to place.

Edit: I tried to find my post and could not. Could have been on another forum. Sorry.

Yes, mine is also. That’s what I did. Used the jack and 2x4’s to manipulate it in to place.

Edit: I tried to find my post and could not. Could have been on another forum. Sorry.

Thanks for looking for your post I would like to see yours too. Let me know if you find it. I was surprised my wheel well wasn't more damaged. The biggest challenge I had was the two front bolts for the side piece. I needed to pull it forward but was very hard to do that. Finally I got a punch in the hole and was able to force it forward with that on the lower screw and insert the top screw.

Thanks for looking for your post I would like to see yours too. Let me know if you find it. I was surprised my wheel well wasn't more damaged. The biggest challenge I had was the two front bolts for the side piece. I needed to pull it forward but was very hard to do that. Finally I got a punch in the hole and was able to force it forward with that on the lower screw and insert the top screw.

Yesterday I installed the flexible air intake from LMC. The quality was good but don't like the clips. Too big and ugly. Its too bad they didn't make it so both clips were on the bottom. One clip will always be on top. There is enough hose to cut off the end. Any tactful resolutions to attach that will look good?

PXL_20210422_155320095.jpg.ce505fdc324f3a3d57f666bdfe560e10.jpg

PXL_20210422_155330729.jpg.088eb5095b599d7dd79db20987eba719.jpg

PXL_20210422_155334933.jpg.a6b3fc09e4b9f3f142c78b7256e5c104.jpg

PXL_20210422_155338919.jpg.2801876ceac51d961dd0be7c7702c360.jpg

Yesterday I installed the flexible air intake from LMC. The quality was good but don't like the clips. Too big and ugly. Its too bad they didn't make it so both clips were on the bottom. One clip will always be on top. There is enough hose to cut off the end. Any tactful resolutions to attach that will look good?

I don't think it looks that bad. But if you really want you could use a black zip tie. However, while it will be more discrete it will be a pain when you want to remove the hose.