Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

Thank you for your help Gary. That is the part I need. Do you think this one on eBay will work? The part number is the E0TZ. Is this a common failure point where it cracked? Is it worth to spend extra for a new one while I can? If I find one at the salvage yard not cracked is it likely to crack in the same spot?

Well this stinks. The expense part from eBay is a good match but has a crack on the inside that didn't make it to the outside yet. This metal seems like some kind of cast pot metal. What is the likelihood of it cracking to the outside and chipping off? Is there a way to reinforce it? The eBay post says no returns.

PXL_20220714_173104661.jpg.57438781c1acf623930375ab0b66457d.jpg

PXL_20220714_173046030.jpg.e69ebadd72d2249834f7cff5666f1de9.jpg

PXL_20220714_172926458.jpg.739488b5a5967c8cdb6b06f191932522.jpg

PXL_20220714_173349696.jpg.0779816410d87e551f2c1f3529dda95d.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this stinks. The expense part from eBay is a good match but has a crack on the inside that didn't make it to the outside yet. This metal seems like some kind of cast pot metal. What is the likelihood of it cracking to the outside and chipping off? Is there a way to reinforce it? The eBay post says no returns.

Can that be brazed or soldered? And is it a crack or a terrible casting flaw? Either way, it's not good.

Can that be brazed or soldered? And is it a crack or a terrible casting flaw? Either way, it's not good.

Hey Randy, I am not sure of the source of the crack. I did research brazing and found this one pictured but some reviews say it does not add any structural integrity and is mostly for esthetic proposes. It is also very expensive for what it is. I was thinking about maybe some JB Weld or similar product also and just sanding and painting to seal it all up.

Screenshot_20220714-151820.thumb.png.466eaf365d6443250e709d3f6baa52b0.png

Hey Randy, I am not sure of the source of the crack. I did research brazing and found this one pictured but some reviews say it does not add any structural integrity and is mostly for esthetic proposes. It is also very expensive for what it is. I was thinking about maybe some JB Weld or similar product also and just sanding and painting to seal it all up.

JB Weld is the first thought I had.

The last time I used JB Weld was around 1996. Is it easy to sand and will help hold it together? I noticed they have a stick version also now. I am not sure what the difference is.

The last time I used JB Weld was around 1996. Is it easy to sand and will help hold it together? I noticed they have a stick version also now. I am not sure what the difference is.

I think it will help hold it together.

I would use the mix, and work it in with a tongue depressor or screwdriver blade.

If you don’t use to much you may just need a little sanding or none at all.

IIRC, it’s pretty tough to sand.

I would use the mix, and work it in with a tongue depressor or screwdriver blade. I’d have a shallow layer to help bond everything.

I would use the mix, and work it in with a tongue depressor or screwdriver blade. I’d have a shallow layer to help bond everything.

I think a drum sander on a moto tool would smooth it out nicely.

Thanks for your feedback Dane, I will get JB Weld. I will leave it thick enough to help reinforce it.

Thanks Randy, I am thinking to leave it on thick to add some structural integrity. But I may need to smooth it out a little to prevent interference. I can use my rotary tool.