Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

Good pics, Jonathan. And a good tip on the removal of the steering wheel. I recently had to repair the threads on Big Blue's wheel because someone used the wrong bolt.

On the bushing, heat is what lets you remove it easily. I fought with one for hours until someone suggested heat and then I had it off so easily. But heat isn't easily had in the salvage, and some won't let you for fear of fire. So in that case you'll have to lube them and pry them off as you did.

I broke down and ordered the special tool on eBay to remove the shift links easier. I figure it will be worth it when I am laying in mud at the salvage yard. The last steering column shift link I removed at the salvage yard was a lot easier then my own truck but I think I need to pull another steering column which I will discuss in the next post. So I ordered the tool to save time and energy.

Good pics, Jonathan. And a good tip on the removal of the steering wheel. I recently had to repair the threads on Big Blue's wheel because someone used the wrong bolt.

On the bushing, heat is what lets you remove it easily. I fought with one for hours until someone suggested heat and then I had it off so easily. But heat isn't easily had in the salvage, and some won't let you for fear of fire. So in that case you'll have to lube them and pry them off as you did.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke down and ordered the special tool on eBay to remove the shift links easier. I figure it will be worth it when I am laying in mud at the salvage yard. The last steering column shift link I removed at the salvage yard was a lot easier then my own truck but I think I need to pull another steering column which I will discuss in the next post. So I ordered the tool to save time and energy.

So I picked up an upgrade steering column with tilt at the salvage yard. I am going to rebuild it and replace worn parts. I never drove my truck yet so I don't know how much a difference it will make but I figure it can't hurt. The shift bowl is cracked on the one I picked up. Is this a common issue? Will I be better off getting a new old stock shift bowl or keep trying to find a good one at the salvage yard? Also looking for part number confirmation. Is it E0TZ-7228-C? Also the upper part of the column has a strange depression in it that you can see in the picture where I am pointing at the crack (bad casting maybe?). Not sure if it was like that when it was new too or not. If solid I was thinking about using some body putty and paint it. Also the piece on the bottom is cracked too but it looks the same as the one on my original steering column so I can swap it out. Stinks that I already purchased a turn signal switch for my non tilt column that I won't be able to use now.

PXL_20220628_174744314.jpg.be63080851a98d4129978cf694ac5752.jpg

PXL_20220704_124330248.jpg.3cf2152786a4fa2b469257728254e4c4.jpg

PXL_20220704_122440376.jpg.22512dfde16537932a149780e41dac05.jpg

PXL_20220704_124343655.jpg.f6eef454b2bbb0d6b3550f6854e36e8a.jpg

So I picked up an upgrade steering column with tilt at the salvage yard. I am going to rebuild it and replace worn parts. I never drove my truck yet so I don't know how much a difference it will make but I figure it can't hurt. The shift bowl is cracked on the one I picked up. Is this a common issue? Will I be better off getting a new old stock shift bowl or keep trying to find a good one at the salvage yard? Also looking for part number confirmation. Is it E0TZ-7228-C? Also the upper part of the column has a strange depression in it that you can see in the picture where I am pointing at the crack (bad casting maybe?). Not sure if it was like that when it was new too or not. If solid I was thinking about using some body putty and paint it. Also the piece on the bottom is cracked too but it looks the same as the one on my original steering column so I can swap it out. Stinks that I already purchased a turn signal switch for my non tilt column that I won't be able to use now.

I should mention that the steering column I am trying to find a bowl for came out of a 1986 F-150.

From our page at Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns & Wheels, the illustration below you can see base part number 7228. That's the one you mean, correct?

2830691.thumb.jpg.403dffbbd3bafbc2e104aa6ecd502fe9.jpg

If so, then you would normally turn to the tab on that page called Part Numbers, but I didn't have that information on that tab. I'll put it there. However, here 'tis for now.

And I don't see E0TZ 7228-C as one of the part numbers. However, in the "tilt" description there's an E0TA, so there was an E0TZ, but I don't know that it is 7228-C. So I'd say you want E2TZ 7228-C.

7228_Header_Header.thumb.jpg.995b7ef2eb0ca33400664ae0b79521d1.jpg7228_Header.thumb.jpg.1d032b1530a5494cf9d3a61c0528ae8f.jpg7228_Part_Numbers.thumb.jpg.1a38686702a14540b7ab3eb5dce1d99e.jpg

From our page at Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns & Wheels, the illustration below you can see base part number 7228. That's the one you mean, correct?

If so, then you would normally turn to the tab on that page called Part Numbers, but I didn't have that information on that tab. I'll put it there. However, here 'tis for now.

And I don't see E0TZ 7228-C as one of the part numbers. However, in the "tilt" description there's an E0TA, so there was an E0TZ, but I don't know that it is 7228-C. So I'd say you want E2TZ 7228-C.

Thank you for your help Gary. That is the part I need. Do you think this one on eBay will work? The part number is the E0TZ. Is this a common failure point where it cracked? Is it worth to spend extra for a new one while I can? If I find one at the salvage yard not cracked is it likely to crack in the same spot?

Screenshot_20220712-182027.thumb.png.d9da9e7c330129346f98580981731253.png

Thank you for your help Gary. That is the part I need. Do you think this one on eBay will work? The part number is the E0TZ. Is this a common failure point where it cracked? Is it worth to spend extra for a new one while I can? If I find one at the salvage yard not cracked is it likely to crack in the same spot?

There's no way for me to tell if E0TZ 7228-C is the right one from the master parts catalog because it just doesn't show in the one I have on this computer. And it probably doesn't show in the 1982 version I have on microfiche since the new number was E2TZ, and that obviously replaced whatever the E0TZ # was.

But, I do have a cross reference from ID # to part number so should be able to cross that E0TA-CWA or CWB in the Description field to a part number. Let me see...

Yep! The 1980 cross-ref says that E0TA-CWA and CWB both cross to E0TZ 7228-C! :nabble_anim_jump:

There's no way for me to tell if E0TZ 7228-C is the right one from the master parts catalog because it just doesn't show in the one I have on this computer. And it probably doesn't show in the 1982 version I have on microfiche since the new number was E2TZ, and that obviously replaced whatever the E0TZ # was.

But, I do have a cross reference from ID # to part number so should be able to cross that E0TA-CWA or CWB in the Description field to a part number. Let me see...

Yep! The 1980 cross-ref says that E0TA-CWA and CWB both cross to E0TZ 7228-C! :nabble_anim_jump:

You are really bringing back some memories when you mention microfiche. I haven't used that for years. When I was a kid I thought it was the coolest thing to look up information in the library on microfiche.

Thanks for cross referencing the part for me Gary. I feel more confident to order it now. Hopefully the salvage yard may have one in good condition also.

You are really bringing back some memories when you mention microfiche. I haven't used that for years. When I was a kid I thought it was the coolest thing to look up information in the library on microfiche.

Thanks for cross referencing the part for me Gary. I feel more confident to order it now. Hopefully the salvage yard may have one in good condition also.

Ford apparently issued the MPC in both microfiche and paper format. A couple of people have gotten a license to digitize the 1994 version of the 1980 - 89 MPC, and they apparently used the exact same copy as it has the same creases - and same page omissions.

Bill/Numberdummy gave me a couple of copies of the MPC on microfiche, an '82 and an '86. And he and Chris/Ctubutis gave me two microfiche viewers, which sit on top of my powder coating booth at about the 8' level. So when I need to view one of the microfiche catalogs I have to drag out the ladder and "climb the microfiche tower".

Also, Bill gave me three cross-references - an '80, an '85, and a '90. It was the '80 version that nailed the part number for you tonight.

So while I have one of the best libraries in the world on Bullnose trucks, I owe a lot of that to Bill and Chris.

Ford apparently issued the MPC in both microfiche and paper format. A couple of people have gotten a license to digitize the 1994 version of the 1980 - 89 MPC, and they apparently used the exact same copy as it has the same creases - and same page omissions.

Bill/Numberdummy gave me a couple of copies of the MPC on microfiche, an '82 and an '86. And he and Chris/Ctubutis gave me two microfiche viewers, which sit on top of my powder coating booth at about the 8' level. So when I need to view one of the microfiche catalogs I have to drag out the ladder and "climb the microfiche tower".

Also, Bill gave me three cross-references - an '80, an '85, and a '90. It was the '80 version that nailed the part number for you tonight.

So while I have one of the best libraries in the world on Bullnose trucks, I owe a lot of that to Bill and Chris.

I have yet to see that piece crack on any that I have worked on so let's hope it is a rarity. but you found one on ebay and I would guess it's far more than the column you bought. I would keep scouring for another column. I just rebuilt the exact same column for my current build, and I will advise as best as I can. the plastic bearing on the lower end is cracked i see but that is a part that is now available as an upgraded metal version. I don't remember exactly where right now but maybe another will have a fresher memory.

I have yet to see that piece crack on any that I have worked on so let's hope it is a rarity. but you found one on ebay and I would guess it's far more than the column you bought. I would keep scouring for another column. I just rebuilt the exact same column for my current build, and I will advise as best as I can. the plastic bearing on the lower end is cracked i see but that is a part that is now available as an upgraded metal version. I don't remember exactly where right now but maybe another will have a fresher memory.

I agree that I've not seen that item crack on any of the columns I've seen. But I don't know about an upgraded one. Maybe that's the E2TZ vs E0TZ?