Bullnose Forums

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

Will these parts be universal among all the Ford truck makes from 80-86 including the Bronco?

I think there's wiring taped to the hose, and both go through the grommet. So you should be able to push the grommet through the firewall and get everything in one go.

As you identify parts, we'll try to see if some of those are on my truck. We'll work that out if you can use them.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you identify parts, we'll try to see if some of those are on my truck. We'll work that out if you can use them.

Thanks Randy, I will try to acquire the most I can from the salvage yards and other sources first. I will let you know if there is something I can't find if you are not using speed control. There is no rush for this since I am still working on so many other things on the truck.

All of the parts are universal save for the bracket. The servo was mounted in different positions depending on the engine. Go to Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control and then the Instructions tab to see the factory shop manual section that will probably answer your questions.

Thanks Gary, I will check the documentation out.

All of the parts are universal save for the bracket. The servo was mounted in different positions depending on the engine. Go to Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control and then the Instructions tab to see the factory shop manual section that will probably answer your questions.

Thanks Gary, I will check the documentation out.

i too have many of these parts on hand. im in the middle of moving my shop and am realizing how many "bits" i have squirreled away. no clue as to what box holds what just yet and as i restock the shelves i "should be far better organized. i will see as i go if there is a part that you need.

i too have many of these parts on hand. im in the middle of moving my shop and am realizing how many "bits" i have squirreled away. no clue as to what box holds what just yet and as i restock the shelves i "should be far better organized. i will see as i go if there is a part that you need.

Thanks Mat, let me know what you happen to find.

Thanks Mat, let me know what you happen to find.

Cleaning the engine bay damaged the very thin paint on the brake vacuum booster. It was also starting to rust in some spots. So I pulled it off to paint. While I am at it I am going to repaint that part of the firewall and I want to fix or replace the steering shaft firewall boot. Does anyone know a part number I can search to find this? I can't find it remanufactured anywhere. Also looking for tips on how to remove the steering shaft so I can get the boot out.

PXL_20220618_173038904.jpg.b670e5b88c81b216e0d932b4443e9dea.jpg

PXL_20220618_173048467.jpg.855ed26f02e23756998029faaa5d2dc8.jpg

PXL_20220618_173815942.jpg.a277610a3ba17d967d9b96a1615ad581.jpg

PXL_20220618_173838074.jpg.5872420f2246762c275e6af8f38f139e.jpg

PXL_20220618_180259906.jpg.43e0fa6b6de7917f140bda010d6c356e.jpg

Cleaning the engine bay damaged the very thin paint on the brake vacuum booster. It was also starting to rust in some spots. So I pulled it off to paint. While I am at it I am going to repaint that part of the firewall and I want to fix or replace the steering shaft firewall boot. Does anyone know a part number I can search to find this? I can't find it remanufactured anywhere. Also looking for tips on how to remove the steering shaft so I can get the boot out.

I don't know if you can find one, but that seal is base part number 3513, which you can see on the Illustrations tab on the page at Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns & Steering Wheels.

Then you go to the Part Numbers tab and find the rest of the part number, where you'll find that it is E0TZ 3513-A for all F & U-Series trucks from 1980 through at least 1989.

And, by the way, I didn't have that part number in the part numbers list, but added it just for you. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I don't know if you can find one, but that seal is base part number 3513, which you can see on the Illustrations tab on the page at Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns & Steering Wheels.

Then you go to the Part Numbers tab and find the rest of the part number, where you'll find that it is E0TZ 3513-A for all F & U-Series trucks from 1980 through at least 1989.

And, by the way, I didn't have that part number in the part numbers list, but added it just for you. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks for your help Gary. I created an eBay search alert for that part number. I will also look in the salvage yard for one better then mine. For now I will remove the steering column and take it out to try and fix it. Do you recall any threads where someone outlined the removal of the steering column?

Thanks for your help Gary. I created an eBay search alert for that part number. I will also look in the salvage yard for one better then mine. For now I will remove the steering column and take it out to try and fix it. Do you recall any threads where someone outlined the removal of the steering column?

I can help on the removal. first of all, you took some good pics so keep them handy and maybe take a few more. the "boot" that you are referring to is actually an egg-shaped plate which has a rubber layer molded onto it. the assembly is what you are looking at. it is held in place to the column by a clamp on the inside part. it takes a 1/2(13mm) . but to get to it you certainly need to remove the whole column.

step one. remove battery connections

disconnect steering sector under hood

disconnect shift down rod from column

remove access panel under column at the dash

remove plastic column cover between dash and shifter arm being very careful to open it up enough to clear all internals.

remove the transmission selector indicator cable. 5/16 screw and then lift the cable off the stud and un clip it from the small white plastic anchor. secure it out of the way .IT IS FRAGILE!!!!!!

remove two bolts holding column to dash brace

disconnect steering column electric connections both from the crescent shape connector and the main from the ignition switch

then remove the five 3/8 hex screws holding the boot/plate to the fire wall and walk the column out and carry it to a bench (many of us consider the tailgate sufficient)

I can help on the removal. first of all, you took some good pics so keep them handy and maybe take a few more. the "boot" that you are referring to is actually an egg-shaped plate which has a rubber layer molded onto it. the assembly is what you are looking at. it is held in place to the column by a clamp on the inside part. it takes a 1/2(13mm) . but to get to it you certainly need to remove the whole column.

step one. remove battery connections

disconnect steering sector under hood

disconnect shift down rod from column

remove access panel under column at the dash

remove plastic column cover between dash and shifter arm being very careful to open it up enough to clear all internals.

remove the transmission selector indicator cable. 5/16 screw and then lift the cable off the stud and un clip it from the small white plastic anchor. secure it out of the way .IT IS FRAGILE!!!!!!

remove two bolts holding column to dash brace

disconnect steering column electric connections both from the crescent shape connector and the main from the ignition switch

then remove the five 3/8 hex screws holding the boot/plate to the fire wall and walk the column out and carry it to a bench (many of us consider the tailgate sufficient)

Jonathan - Welcome, happy to help. As for instructions, Matt's should be what you need. But if you want more go to the Instructions tab at Documentation/Interior, Steering Columns & Wheels. There you will find both the section from the factory service manual as well as a document that Scott wrote up on the column itself.

Matt - Thanks!