Bullnose Forums

locked BOTH sets of keys in truck....

I managed to lock BOTH sets of keys in truck other night. Yep. Fortunately I left the driver's window cracked to let doors close easier. with new weather stripping. I have the little metal visors over windows so it won't rain in and I leave window down an inch or two. One set of keys was in igntion, other on passenger seat. Found a wire coat hanger, thought maybe I could hook the door handle and pull it up. Negative. I could hook the handle, just not get enough tug to open door.

So I studied and reshaped my hanger and went for the keys in ignition. Hooked into the key, wiggled and wiggled til it started backing out. Eased it out and to the window and through crack without losing them. SCORE!!!!

I have to get a LARGER keyring so I might see it in the igntion. Other set was in truck from when I left the main keys in it the night before and had been working at my mom's and set them in passenger seat. Might be time for a hide a key on the truck somewhere. I saw a YT revival vid where they found a spare key hanging from the washer bottle lid in a car with outside hood release. Something like that for the old bullnose.

My regular car is one of them new fangled keyless things. That has it's own issues too. I went in for a dr appt once and left car running. It was still running when I came out 30 minutes later.

Glad you'd left the window down, and that you got one set of keys out. Maybe you need one of the magnetic key holders and put it up under the truck in a hidden spot?

Yep, something like that. I have locked keys in several times at home already and been fortunate to have the extra set in the house.

Glad you'd left the window down, and that you got one set of keys out. Maybe you need one of the magnetic key holders and put it up under the truck in a hidden spot?

I've personally not been a fan of such... don't like giving car thieves a golden ticket to drive off with it (or at least break in and steal stuff). Likewise I'm absent minded to likely not remember to remove such if I'm leaving the vehicle sitting for a long time... or to remember that I had such in the first place. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

But since the OP left a set in the ignition, it sounds like he needs a working buzzer... get that fixed!

I've personally not been a fan of such... don't like giving car thieves a golden ticket to drive off with it (or at least break in and steal stuff). Likewise I'm absent minded to likely not remember to remove such if I'm leaving the vehicle sitting for a long time... or to remember that I had such in the first place. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

But since the OP left a set in the ignition, it sounds like he needs a working buzzer... get that fixed!

I have thought about that buzzer!

That’s hilarious!:nabble_anim_claps: Glad you finally got them out.

When I bought my truck, it came with 5 sets of keys, so 10 keys total... guess the guy had the same problem as you:nabble_smiley_wink:

NECESSITY will make you learn a lot of things.

Leaving your keys in the ignition (or in the cupholder w/ new proximity keys) is an invitation.

But NO car thief is going to bother looking for a hidden key.

I can literally shear the pin and turn the column lock cylinder -starting and unlocking the steering- on one of these trucks in a minute.

Less than 30 seconds if I don't care how it looks when I'm done.

.... and I'm not a car thief.

Leaving your keys in the ignition (or in the cupholder w/ new proximity keys) is an invitation.

But NO car thief is going to bother looking for a hidden key.

I can literally shear the pin and turn the column lock cylinder -starting and unlocking the steering- on one of these trucks in a minute.

Less than 30 seconds if I don't care how it looks when I'm done.

.... and I'm not a car thief.

I'll teach me,... I'll fix my a**.

BTW its amazing how far I can open a door window frame with a Blood Pressure cuff...

lots of practice being on the FD with "lock out" calls, troubling ones are infants in the car, and parent "locked out"