Bullnose Forums

Transfer case shift knob

I only found one new knob on Ebay, to the tune of $99 (ouch). The early Rangers may have had the same knob (they look identical), so maybe you can find one from one of those trucks. You need to be careful with a used knob though, the insides are plastic and may be brittle. If somebody really worked hard to remove the knob, it may be broken inside.

Finding a useable splined knob is what I am worried about. I wonder if an earlier (pre 80) truck would have the same shifter? I think it would be easier to get a knob for a threaded shifter.

Finding a useable splined knob is what I am worried about. I wonder if an earlier (pre 80) truck would have the same shifter? I think it would be easier to get a knob for a threaded shifter.

They're shaped differently and might hit the dash. Not 100% sure how they hook up at the t-case either.

If you could find yourself the lever for a 1980-early 1982 truck, I have an extra threaded transfer case knob sitting in my toolbox. Uhaul was selling one for $20 on Ebay, but it seems like they've sold it because I can't find it now.

They're shaped differently and might hit the dash. Not 100% sure how they hook up at the t-case either.

If you could find yourself the lever for a 1980-early 1982 truck, I have an extra threaded transfer case knob sitting in my toolbox. Uhaul was selling one for $20 on Ebay, but it seems like they've sold it because I can't find it now.

That’s good to know. Thank you for the offer, I am going to keep looking for the threaded shifter.

That’s good to know. Thank you for the offer, I am going to keep looking for the threaded shifter.

Dose the screw on knob have the same pattern?

If so how hard would it be to thread the stick to use the screw on knob?

I have been thinking of doing this for my shifter stick as mine is splined and was messed up by the PO pulling it off. It also has a drop in pattern that makes noise.

Thing that has stopped me is finding a good knob.

Dave ----

Dose the screw on knob have the same pattern?

If so how hard would it be to thread the stick to use the screw on knob?

I have been thinking of doing this for my shifter stick as mine is splined and was messed up by the PO pulling it off. It also has a drop in pattern that makes noise.

Thing that has stopped me is finding a good knob.

Dave ----

I don’t know how you could thread it but I’m no machinist. I think it would have to be turned down first. What I have done on my super duty 6 speed is I had a machinist make a brass adapter. It was drilled out to be a friction fit on the splined shifter (hammered it on which cut the splines in the soft brass) and had a 3/8” threaded portion on top. It does make the shifter about an inch longer though. May go that route again here.

I don’t know how you could thread it but I’m no machinist. I think it would have to be turned down first. What I have done on my super duty 6 speed is I had a machinist make a brass adapter. It was drilled out to be a friction fit on the splined shifter (hammered it on which cut the splines in the soft brass) and had a 3/8” threaded portion on top. It does make the shifter about an inch longer though. May go that route again here.

So after reading the last couple of posts, I somehow was reminded that I have a junk 1987 transfer case lever that came with my BW1356. I then realized that it would have the knob you need, and after checking, yep it's still there. Best part is it was loose, so here it is below. It's not perfect as it was in an old fire department brush truck that was heavily used, but it's better than nothing. It will need to be re-glued, but otherwise should be good to go. Let me know if you can use it as I never will.

DSCN2299.jpg.afc0067280fae6a0eb9a0c6ac8cd903c.jpg

DSCN2298.jpg.dc624666076c2a65d9e4da724ab29ccc.jpg

So after reading the last couple of posts, I somehow was reminded that I have a junk 1987 transfer case lever that came with my BW1356. I then realized that it would have the knob you need, and after checking, yep it's still there. Best part is it was loose, so here it is below. It's not perfect as it was in an old fire department brush truck that was heavily used, but it's better than nothing. It will need to be re-glued, but otherwise should be good to go. Let me know if you can use it as I never will.

That is a great offer, I really appreciate it. I am going to search locally a bit more as shipping from Florida to Alberta is a bit crazy. If I can’t come up with anything I will probably take you up on it. Thanks