Bullnose Forum

1986 F-250 XLT 6.9 idi C6 switch to 300 4 speed

nic55kel

Hopefully we are coming to the end of this wet stretch. We really needed the rain and we got it.

Starting to clean things up a bit and working on changing the leaking gaskets.

Very happy to see that the cam gear is cast iron.

I can still see some of the cross hatch on the travelled sections of cylinder wall that I can see from the crankcase so very happy about the condition of this engine.

Are you planning to rebuild the engine or run it with new gaskets?

Are you planning to rebuild the engine or run it with new gaskets?

Gary, I am fighting the temptation to make this an expanding project.

The engine ran and checks out so nicely that I think I will concentrate on the wiring and clutch changes that are required and just change the leaking gaskets.

The mechanical clutch linkage is in pretty good shape so I think I will go with that. I have to drill the two holes in the frame for the z bar pivot mount - that looks to be the most awkward part of the conversion - no room above the frame to drill. I have nothing against a hydraulic clutch but I don't have the parts so going to use what I have.

Then I have to decide what to do with the steering column - the auto column has cruise control and the manual column doesn't - not sure what would be involved in switching those over and keeping the cruise steering wheel.

Lots of details to keep the mind active.

Gary, I am fighting the temptation to make this an expanding project.

The engine ran and checks out so nicely that I think I will concentrate on the wiring and clutch changes that are required and just change the leaking gaskets.

The mechanical clutch linkage is in pretty good shape so I think I will go with that. I have to drill the two holes in the frame for the z bar pivot mount - that looks to be the most awkward part of the conversion - no room above the frame to drill. I have nothing against a hydraulic clutch but I don't have the parts so going to use what I have.

Then I have to decide what to do with the steering column - the auto column has cruise control and the manual column doesn't - not sure what would be involved in switching those over and keeping the cruise steering wheel.

Lots of details to keep the mind active.

Well a little more progress.

I pulled the pedal assembly from the donor truck, all in all it looks to be in good shape.

The weather for the last week has been mostly cold and damp but it is looking a lot better for the next week.

IMG_1257.jpg.28dec67a3694f401f35250c65fccbd53.jpg

Does anyone know a source for the bellows for the clutch rod that goes through the firewall to the z bar?

The one I have is useable but definitely past its prime.

Coming to the end of stripping parts and starting to give serious thought to how it is all going to go back together.

Well a little more progress.

I pulled the pedal assembly from the donor truck, all in all it looks to be in good shape.

The weather for the last week has been mostly cold and damp but it is looking a lot better for the next week.

Does anyone know a source for the bellows for the clutch rod that goes through the firewall to the z bar?

The one I have is useable but definitely past its prime.

Coming to the end of stripping parts and starting to give serious thought to how it is all going to go back together.

Progress! :nabble_anim_claps:

As for the clutch rod bellows, you can now find the part number on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Clutches & Linkage. Then the Clutch Linkage tab, then the Part Numbers tab. However, to make it easy the number is E0TZ 7A533-A. (The numbers weren't there but they are now.)

Progress! :nabble_anim_claps:

As for the clutch rod bellows, you can now find the part number on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Clutches & Linkage. Then the Clutch Linkage tab, then the Part Numbers tab. However, to make it easy the number is E0TZ 7A533-A. (The numbers weren't there but they are now.)

Gary, thank you so much.

Having the part number really helps but I doubt any ford dealers still have stock.

Will have to keep working on this - I haven't made the hole in the firewall yet so may be able to adapt something that is more readily available I will have to ponder on this.

Gary, thank you so much.

Having the part number really helps but I doubt any ford dealers still have stock.

Will have to keep working on this - I haven't made the hole in the firewall yet so may be able to adapt something that is more readily available I will have to ponder on this.

Welcome. Google that part number, but try it both as EzeroTZ and EohTz. Some people don't know it should be zero.

Welcome. Google that part number, but try it both as EzeroTZ and EohTz. Some people don't know it should be zero.

Thanks Gary, will keep looking - one may show up at a reasonable price.

Well I got the frame drilled for the z-bar pivot.

I drilled it upwards from inside the frame rail.

I made a template from the donor frame - double checked some dimensions and then used that to drill the frame in my 86.

I had been putting this off a bit as I expected it would be troublesome - actually went really smoothly.

Had to cut some drill bits down to get my angle drill in the limited space.

I extended a centre punch so it was well clear of the frame at the hammer end.

I was able to use a screw driver between the lower frame rail and the drill head to apply cutting pressure.

True test will be when the engine is in and I install the z-bar but I am very pleased with it so far.

IMG_1259.jpg.7e6d843c1f2732ad809fa75f008706ee.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg.92056fad1594764fb980169962b60ee0.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg.5265a085d4d503ff39ba3dcdbccbb6f5.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg.d91f7542905d92f0f41a87fe4d7f9ebf.jpg

Thanks Gary, will keep looking - one may show up at a reasonable price.

Well I got the frame drilled for the z-bar pivot.

I drilled it upwards from inside the frame rail.

I made a template from the donor frame - double checked some dimensions and then used that to drill the frame in my 86.

I had been putting this off a bit as I expected it would be troublesome - actually went really smoothly.

Had to cut some drill bits down to get my angle drill in the limited space.

I extended a centre punch so it was well clear of the frame at the hammer end.

I was able to use a screw driver between the lower frame rail and the drill head to apply cutting pressure.

True test will be when the engine is in and I install the z-bar but I am very pleased with it so far.

I have done all the resealing I am going to on the engine and it is ready for install:

IMG_1263.jpg.74e479d54c71d5764de077c5c4ed9a5a.jpg

Well one problem I had not anticipated is that the front main crossmembers are different between the diesel and gas trucks.

IMG_1264.jpg.9b6ef3232331a077fcd84bb7d89cb629.jpg

Diesel

IMG_1265.jpg.c0eb418e2b3b9b7d3796c30eca66b04e.jpg

Gas

It looks like the perch mounting holes may be correct for the top two on the passenger side and possibly the rear two on the drivers side. I decided to make up a jig to hold the perches in the correct relative position.

IMG_1266.jpg.5f178533c476ce9c577a5688e2e04468.jpg

I then took lots of measurements to verify correct location.

IMG_1267.jpg.625c45ca4a927e723b31ef6c76276a53.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg.6c7f6c9f36f526ff1d17134f93d4650d.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg.4a198cbebb7763d7ef534f35f695b21e.jpg

Checking the dimension to the transmission crossmember.

IMG_1273.jpg.6db9d368e00c0e027d5ce2bc37434a56.jpg

It looks good and so now have to drill holes to install the other two fasteners on each perch.

I am confident that everything is to within an 1/8" and that my die grinder can fix any fitment issues.

I have done all the resealing I am going to on the engine and it is ready for install:

Well one problem I had not anticipated is that the front main crossmembers are different between the diesel and gas trucks.

Diesel

Gas

It looks like the perch mounting holes may be correct for the top two on the passenger side and possibly the rear two on the drivers side. I decided to make up a jig to hold the perches in the correct relative position.

I then took lots of measurements to verify correct location.

Checking the dimension to the transmission crossmember.

It looks good and so now have to drill holes to install the other two fasteners on each perch.

I am confident that everything is to within an 1/8" and that my die grinder can fix any fitment issues.

That seems to have worked out fine! :nabble_smiley_good:

I think the gas 460 shares the engine crossmember with the IDI.

At least that is what mine says on its back side. (Diesel/460 only)

Also the divot in the front is to clear the 460 oil filter adapter.

Hope you are enjoying some great weather up there, Bob!

That seems to have worked out fine! :nabble_smiley_good:

I think the gas 460 shares the engine crossmember with the IDI.

At least that is what mine says on its back side. (Diesel/460 only)

Also the divot in the front is to clear the 460 oil filter adapter.

Hope you are enjoying some great weather up there, Bob!

Ah that make sense Jim. Luckily I have two good reference holes on each side and on the passenger side it is just a matter of drilling a couple of holes. I think I will have to do a bit of fabrication on the drivers side but not a lot.

We only have about 4 phrases to describe the weather here:

"I will be happy when it is warmer".

"I will be happy when it is cooler".

"I will be happy when it dries up".

"I will be happy when the snow has gone".

We are currently on the second phrase.

We are generally optimistic always looking to the future.