Bullnose Forums

Protection and convenience wiring

Messed with the dimmer and doesn't seem to do anything. The dimmer switch checked good when I tested it.

Just to make sure - talking about the dash light dimming feature via rotating the headlight switch and not the foot activated 'dimmer switch', right?

Just to make sure - talking about the dash light dimming feature via rotating the headlight switch and not the foot activated 'dimmer switch', right?

Correct, the headlights (high and low beams) work as they should. Rotating the dash dimmer does not turn of the dome/cargo light.

Correct, the headlights (high and low beams) work as they should. Rotating the dash dimmer does not turn of the dome/cargo light.

Rotating the dimmer switch past full bright should override the door switch and turn on the dome light.

I think Scott is after whether the dome light wiring is shorted out somewhere in the sill or B pillar.

Rotating the dimmer switch past full bright should override the door switch and turn on the dome light.

I think Scott is after whether the dome light wiring is shorted out somewhere in the sill or B pillar.

Okay, I think I was just too narrow focused last night... the dome light turns off when I shut the door.. XD

Still no running lights or dash illumination lights though.

Okay, I think I was just too narrow focused last night... the dome light turns off when I shut the door.. XD

Still no running lights or dash illumination lights though.

Thanks Jim. Yeah, I just wanted to make sure the headlight switch wasn't rotated enough to make the dome/cargo be on constantly. "Dimmer switch" could refer to that as well as the foot switch so wanted to ensure we all weren't talking about different things.

Keaton - glad to hear it and stuff like that happens :nabble_smiley_beam: Easy to focus on one path and forget about other factors.

The only connection running/marker lights should have with the dash lights is via the headlight switch.

Is fuse 17 still good?

Thanks Jim. Yeah, I just wanted to make sure the headlight switch wasn't rotated enough to make the dome/cargo be on constantly. "Dimmer switch" could refer to that as well as the foot switch so wanted to ensure we all weren't talking about different things.

Keaton - glad to hear it and stuff like that happens :nabble_smiley_beam: Easy to focus on one path and forget about other factors.

The only connection running/marker lights should have with the dash lights is via the headlight switch.

Is fuse 17 still good?

Figured out the running lights!

There was a bad connection on the backside of fuse 4.

Thank you both for the assistance! Been chasing this one for a few years now. Had the dash on and off too many times. One step closer to leaving it on.

Figured out the running lights!

There was a bad connection on the backside of fuse 4.

Thank you both for the assistance! Been chasing this one for a few years now. Had the dash on and off too many times. One step closer to leaving it on.

That's great news! :nabble_anim_jump:

Is your radio stock, or did someone miswire it?

(Not sure where you were saying the radio only works in 'run' and not 'accy' went?)

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n94119/IMG_2434.jpg

You know, a replacement pigtail for the headlamp switch might help a lot.

Not sure if your switch is 8 or 9 pin.

https://www.repairconnector.com/products/Ford-Headlight-Switch-Repair-Connector-8-Wire-Pigtail.html

https://www.repairconnector.com/products/Ford-Headlight-Switch-Repair-Connector-86-thru-97.html

The second one says it fits '86-'97, but I think the switch changed with the '87 model year (which could be an '86 build date)