Bullnose Forums

Another round of projects.

IDIBronco

On the EGR you do not need to remove it and come up with a spacer or make adjustments to the throttle cable bracket.

You can just use a tin can and make a blank off plate to fit between the valve and the adaptor / spacer and this will make it so it cant work.

Also if you pull the carb & EGR spacer there will be a hole in the intake manifold just drive in a small freeze plug and this will also block it off so it cant work.

With the spacer in place I did not need to mass with the throttle cable bracket and run the factory air filter assy.

As for the tube you can leave it in place or remove it and use pipe plugs to block off the holes or cut the tube but leave some at each end so you can bend the tube over to seal it.

I did buy one of them knock off Ebay carbs as I was having issues with mine and that was after it ran good after I rebuilt it than crapped out after I was trying to lean the carb out.

Thing was I fond rust in the bowl when I was leaning it out and did not want to install the Ebay carb till I could find what tank had the rust.

So I have not installed it yet and it sits in the box on the shelf.

I have since fixed my carb, dont know what I did as the accel pump stopped working and would run way lean at WOT.

I used my Motor manule for pros and adjusted it as it had listed and all good now.

May get brave again and try to lean it out a little.

Now with it running lean and think more so with out the EGR I had a lot of pinging with any throttle.

Vacuum was pulling in a lot of advance but what is nice the 300 six motors have adjustable vacuum advance cans. So I was able to dial out a lot of the vacuum advance and not more pinging.

I should also point out I am running EFI exh manifold that they say flow a little better than the log exh manifold if that makes any difference.

Dave ----

That is some good information. I did however already remove all the egr, and vacuum stuff. I received the cheap replacement carb and installed it, but have not moved much farther forward on the truck yet. I am pretty sure I need to pull the transmission and change the flywheel as the ring gear must have some teeth knocked off.

The welder on the other hand... I fabricated some straps for the fuel tank and painted the tank, straps, and bracket. I also got a new cork fuel bowl gasket, brass screen, and glass bowl and got the small gas drip stopped. Just generic parts from the farm store. Yesterday afternoon I moved the welder from the pallet I had it parked on to one of the trailers I got with the truck. The to do list on the welder has become very short.

I got a new kill switch, start switch, and choke cable in the mail yesterday. I need to install those and rewire the welder 12 volt charging system eventually. It has a generator and external voltage regulator. If the generator gives me issue I will swap a delco alternator on. Since the welder has a magneto, the charging system is not required to run. I can just install a battery to start or jump.

Even the air compressor would be able to use the same battery and it's charging system is functional. I need to make a set of heavy weld leads for this machine (I have 100 ft of cable on hand already). Finally, I want to do an additional oil change with seafoam treatment. That is the end of the list I want to do before starting to use the welder. Another couple of project days and it will be back up to a working state. I haven't decided how restored I want to make the welder.

The air compressor has the motor installed and is still waiting on a carb kit to arrive (Saturday). It only needs some simple wiring and to figure out a fuel tank. I have had it running, installed 2 new belts, and upgraded the drive pulley from a 4 inch to 6 inch.

When I do some interesting work again I will have pictures. The work lately was too boring to get pictures.

Once I get the compressor on the trailer I will get some pictures.

Progress is slow, but still progress.

That is some good information. I did however already remove all the egr, and vacuum stuff. I received the cheap replacement carb and installed it, but have not moved much farther forward on the truck yet. I am pretty sure I need to pull the transmission and change the flywheel as the ring gear must have some teeth knocked off.

The welder on the other hand... I fabricated some straps for the fuel tank and painted the tank, straps, and bracket. I also got a new cork fuel bowl gasket, brass screen, and glass bowl and got the small gas drip stopped. Just generic parts from the farm store. Yesterday afternoon I moved the welder from the pallet I had it parked on to one of the trailers I got with the truck. The to do list on the welder has become very short.

I got a new kill switch, start switch, and choke cable in the mail yesterday. I need to install those and rewire the welder 12 volt charging system eventually. It has a generator and external voltage regulator. If the generator gives me issue I will swap a delco alternator on. Since the welder has a magneto, the charging system is not required to run. I can just install a battery to start or jump.

Even the air compressor would be able to use the same battery and it's charging system is functional. I need to make a set of heavy weld leads for this machine (I have 100 ft of cable on hand already). Finally, I want to do an additional oil change with seafoam treatment. That is the end of the list I want to do before starting to use the welder. Another couple of project days and it will be back up to a working state. I haven't decided how restored I want to make the welder.

The air compressor has the motor installed and is still waiting on a carb kit to arrive (Saturday). It only needs some simple wiring and to figure out a fuel tank. I have had it running, installed 2 new belts, and upgraded the drive pulley from a 4 inch to 6 inch.

When I do some interesting work again I will have pictures. The work lately was too boring to get pictures.

Once I get the compressor on the trailer I will get some pictures.

Progress is slow, but still progress.

That sounds like a lot of little things, which add up to PROGRESS! And, as Jim says, progress is GOOD! :nabble_anim_claps:

That sounds like a lot of little things, which add up to PROGRESS! And, as Jim says, progress is GOOD! :nabble_anim_claps:

I appreciate the support. I know projects tend to go fast and then hit a problem and slow down. This project has been crippled by waiting for shipping. I occasionally do suffer from a bad case of analysis paralysis... Having trouble deciding what the "right" solution to an issue may be and end up spending (wasting) a lot of time researching in manuals, forums, or in discussion (sometimes with myself...). This single issue is what tends to lengthen my projects the most. Often, I find no decision is worse than the wrong decision. I know the fuel tank strap issue on the welder was a solid 3 days of trying to find an acceptable solution since my Google skills didn't turn up a proper replacement. In the end it was just bending up some 1 inch by 1/8 inch steel and cutting up some innertube to make the straps and rubber to protect the tank. Looking back it was a simple choice, however...

I spent several days trying to find stainless steel strap material to make new straps. I could have bought stainless banding strap and the tools to make bands up, but it was cost prohibitive. The straps that where on the tank where plain steel banding and had rusted off. The new straps, while not original, should hold up quite well and we're only probably about 10 dollars worth of materials.

It is overcoming the little issues and decisions that keep the progress coming.

I appreciate the support. I know projects tend to go fast and then hit a problem and slow down. This project has been crippled by waiting for shipping. I occasionally do suffer from a bad case of analysis paralysis... Having trouble deciding what the "right" solution to an issue may be and end up spending (wasting) a lot of time researching in manuals, forums, or in discussion (sometimes with myself...). This single issue is what tends to lengthen my projects the most. Often, I find no decision is worse than the wrong decision. I know the fuel tank strap issue on the welder was a solid 3 days of trying to find an acceptable solution since my Google skills didn't turn up a proper replacement. In the end it was just bending up some 1 inch by 1/8 inch steel and cutting up some innertube to make the straps and rubber to protect the tank. Looking back it was a simple choice, however...

I spent several days trying to find stainless steel strap material to make new straps. I could have bought stainless banding strap and the tools to make bands up, but it was cost prohibitive. The straps that where on the tank where plain steel banding and had rusted off. The new straps, while not original, should hold up quite well and we're only probably about 10 dollars worth of materials.

It is overcoming the little issues and decisions that keep the progress coming.

Yes, Progress is Good! :nabble_smiley_good:

I probably would have asked one of my lumberyard guys for 10' of banding and spot welded it together.

If it can hold a 20 ton load together after being -literally- dumped off a -moving- truck, the tank isn't going anywhere.

Yes, Progress is Good! :nabble_smiley_good:

I probably would have asked one of my lumberyard guys for 10' of banding and spot welded it together.

If it can hold a 20 ton load together after being -literally- dumped off a -moving- truck, the tank isn't going anywhere.

I considered just taking the tank and brackets up to the local ag dealer. I do a little machine work for them from time to time and they probably would have done that for me. They have a banding set they could have strapped the tank right to the brackets and been done, but I figured it would have to go in and out a few times maybe yet. So a solution that would bolt down was desirable.

This morning I am laying out the start/kill switches and choke in the panel. They had previously been located on the other end of the welder below the radiator, but all the controls are on the generator end of the welder...

Didn't make sense to have to walk to the other end to start the machine.

KIMG0301.jpg.f8ab2d9d85685a26be5022f0ee99ffd7.jpg

KIMG0302.jpg.67cf99c18cd7011facf700d98ac47518.jpg

KIMG0305.jpg.e91e07b90a48356afa7dde98a8f029b7.jpg

KIMG0306.jpg.dc16d1e6e8ddb8f1dd3f4e4a5c02b7eb.jpg

I figure the weld lead will be routed to the other side of the Exciter housing and the switches and choke are out of the way of the fuel shut off handle (previous owner installed an extension). I placed the choke so I could pull it out with one hand and still press the red start switch with my thumb on the same hand. Hopefully it will function as I plan.

Now to run some wires and choke cable.

I considered just taking the tank and brackets up to the local ag dealer. I do a little machine work for them from time to time and they probably would have done that for me. They have a banding set they could have strapped the tank right to the brackets and been done, but I figured it would have to go in and out a few times maybe yet. So a solution that would bolt down was desirable.

This morning I am laying out the start/kill switches and choke in the panel. They had previously been located on the other end of the welder below the radiator, but all the controls are on the generator end of the welder...

I figure the weld lead will be routed to the other side of the Exciter housing and the switches and choke are out of the way of the fuel shut off handle (previous owner installed an extension). I placed the choke so I could pull it out with one hand and still press the red start switch with my thumb on the same hand. Hopefully it will function as I plan.

Got the wiring installed to the switches and routed the choke cable And trimmed to length. So nice to not have to jump the solenoid and reach for the choke to get it to start.

Few little things to clean up and the welder will be ready for any job that comes up. I got the trailer landing gear jack freed up and starting to think of how I want to do the trailer wiring.

Will just keep chipping away at it. If Sunday weather permits I will try to pull the starter off the truck and inspect the flywheel gear.

Got the wiring installed to the switches and routed the choke cable And trimmed to length. So nice to not have to jump the solenoid and reach for the choke to get it to start.

Few little things to clean up and the welder will be ready for any job that comes up. I got the trailer landing gear jack freed up and starting to think of how I want to do the trailer wiring.

Will just keep chipping away at it. If Sunday weather permits I will try to pull the starter off the truck and inspect the flywheel gear.

Your "chipping away" is getting a lot done. It is going to be quite functional very soon. :nabble_anim_claps:

That does look a lot easier to deal with! :nabble_smiley_good:

Surprised the PO hadn't done it years ago.

That does look a lot easier to deal with! :nabble_smiley_good:Surprised the PO hadn't done it years ago.
I understand having the startup and choke on the motor end to help remind people to check oil/water, but having the kill switch on the welder end just seems like a smarter layout in case you are working and have an issue.

The compressor definitely makes air and the drive pulley change looks acceptable for compressor speed. I have to do a lot more testing to verify the tank is safe before pressuring it up fully. I also need to test the compressor unloading valves and controls. And make sure the air cylinder that idles the motor works...

BUT the compressor works.

More progress all the time.

I understand having the startup and choke on the motor end to help remind people to check oil/water, but having the kill switch on the welder end just seems like a smarter layout in case you are working and have an issue.

The compressor definitely makes air and the drive pulley change looks acceptable for compressor speed. I have to do a lot more testing to verify the tank is safe before pressuring it up fully. I also need to test the compressor unloading valves and controls. And make sure the air cylinder that idles the motor works...

BUT the compressor works.

More progress all the time.

That's cool! You really are peeling this onion in a hurry. You are going to have a Blooming Onion really soon! :nabble_anim_claps: