Bullnose Forums

Another round of projects.

IDIBronco

As a side note...

An "easy"/simple way to proof test pressure on a tank is to completely fill with water, and if you do not have means to easily take the tank to pressure higher then your compressor is capable of you can use a grease gun and a few fittings to pressure the tank up. With a tee, pressure gauge, and a grease zerk you can get to most any pressure a tank you could want to test yourself should be taken too. Grease is pretty inexpensive and easy to control. You can always use your air compressor to help blow everything out afterwords. If the tank ruptures water and grease are essentially incompressible so all you have is a mess, and not a bomb.

Just thought I would outline the thought a bit more. Sometimes it helps to have just a bit more info.

Hydro testing is a lot safer.

Because the fluid is incompressible there is no heave behind it if something lets go.

I have seen the aftermath of a 120 laydown gallon shop compressor explosion.

Some of the concrete block wall was 40-50' across the parking lot.

Thankfully the tank peeled open, there was no shrapnel and no major injuries.

I think I found a match to my air compressor. I am thinking it looks like the same casting so pretty likely. If it is the same it looks like a 19cfm compressor.

If the output is linear (I am sure it isn't) and the Kohler where able to pull the compressor at governor controlled speed it would be outputting close to double the rated cfm. I am close to double the recommended rpm if (a big if) the motor were able to spin the compressor fast enough to get to the governor slowing it down. I am pretty sure I am hp limited to not be able to accomplish this at all pressures except for at an empty tank. I will probably still go looking for a more appropriate sized pulley.

I do know at the moment the tank pressure climbs pretty fast. I suspect the compressor could keep up with my impact no issue, and maybe enough air to run the sandblaster. Eventually I will have to find out.

Wow! That's quite the compressor. And that's a lot of air. Yes, it should keep up with a sandblaster. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for testing a tank with grease, I would never have thought of that, but it is a good idea. Ingenious!

Wow! That's quite the compressor. And that's a lot of air. Yes, it should keep up with a sandblaster. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for testing a tank with grease, I would never have thought of that, but it is a good idea. Ingenious!

Grease guns develop quite a bit of pressure in metered little bursts.

I've put a zerk in a pipe plug to force out a pilot bushing before.

Grease guns develop quite a bit of pressure in metered little bursts.

I've put a zerk in a pipe plug to force out a pilot bushing before.

My preferred method for pilot bushing removal is packing wet paper towels in, wrap electric tape around a 1/2 inch extension to fit the i.d. of the bushing tightly, and a 2 lb hammer to smack the extension into the towels. It acts like a hydraulic cylinder pusing the bushing out. Usually takes a few tries packing more paper towel in to fill the void behind the bushing.

I tried grease before with a hammer, but typically end up coated. With the wet paper towels it is a much easier cleanup.

My preferred method for pilot bushing removal is packing wet paper towels in, wrap electric tape around a 1/2 inch extension to fit the i.d. of the bushing tightly, and a 2 lb hammer to smack the extension into the towels. It acts like a hydraulic cylinder pusing the bushing out. Usually takes a few tries packing more paper towel in to fill the void behind the bushing.

I tried grease before with a hammer, but typically end up coated. With the wet paper towels it is a much easier cleanup.

I've heard people use Wonder Bread too.

Anything that won't squirt out in your face. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Your compressor sounds great.

I like that engine. You're right it is very much in keeping with the rest of it.

You are just knocking projects out one after the other! :nabble_smiley_super:

I've heard people use Wonder Bread too.

Anything that won't squirt out in your face. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Your compressor sounds great.

I like that engine. You're right it is very much in keeping with the rest of it.

You are just knocking projects out one after the other! :nabble_smiley_super:

The engine was pulled from the 314 John Deere mower seen in the background in the compressor video. I had to swap oil pans from the original compressor motor to match the mounts on the air compressor tank. I have had several cub cadets and a few John Deere with the same or similar motors. They are really pretty good ones. This is the k321.

Honestly, I am starting to get excited about having this thing setup to start using. Between the welder and the compressor I suspect I have a few bigger projects I am going to start knocking out. I need to cut the wedge off my firewood machine and make a few minor changes before I get going on firewood again in the next few weeks. That will probably be the first major project.

The engine was pulled from the 314 John Deere mower seen in the background in the compressor video. I had to swap oil pans from the original compressor motor to match the mounts on the air compressor tank. I have had several cub cadets and a few John Deere with the same or similar motors. They are really pretty good ones. This is the k321.

Honestly, I am starting to get excited about having this thing setup to start using. Between the welder and the compressor I suspect I have a few bigger projects I am going to start knocking out. I need to cut the wedge off my firewood machine and make a few minor changes before I get going on firewood again in the next few weeks. That will probably be the first major project.

I keep getting little projects done. The air compressor got moved over to the trailer. I set the compressor just far enough to the back of the trailer to clear the arc the side cover swings through. I used a couple of pieces of angle iron below the trailer grating with bolts through the base frame of the compressor. 4 half inch bolts should hold it pretty well. I suspect the trailer will rarely leave the property. I also threw together a quick rack for the welding leads that bolts down a similar way as well. I went ahead and picked up a "used" battery from the local Walmart. They put out of date brand new batteries at a reduced price with a reduced warranty occasionally. I have had pretty good luck with them so I always try to get them for projects like this. I got the battery positioned and am still deciding how I want to hold it in place. Figured out mounting a start solenoid, ignition switch, and start switch for the compressor and ran the wires with crimp connectors after removing the insulation from the connectors and double layered heat shrinking. Basically, I spent the last couple days worth of free time doing lots of little things that take a lot of time.

When I quit this evening I had the compressor starting by the switch, and just using a 5 gallon fuel can on the trailer. The charging system on the compressor is functional now and keeps the battery topped off when the compressor runs. Been using the welder every chance I think of something I need to weld. It is a big upgrade from the old buzzbox and it is even better than the inverter welder I have, plus the inverter welder tops out at 130 amps (90 amps on a normal circuit), but this thing has the ability to run a lot more amps. I may have to borrow a clamp on amp meter to see what it is putting out.

Not much in the way of pictures with this update since it is mostly all boring work anyway.

KIMG0317.jpg.32b9cb2ed418d2556bf29d1d050b1f8c.jpg

KIMG03203.thumb.jpg.6a63e4cf1c80705232c6c92528312d0e.jpg

I keep getting little projects done. The air compressor got moved over to the trailer. I set the compressor just far enough to the back of the trailer to clear the arc the side cover swings through. I used a couple of pieces of angle iron below the trailer grating with bolts through the base frame of the compressor. 4 half inch bolts should hold it pretty well. I suspect the trailer will rarely leave the property. I also threw together a quick rack for the welding leads that bolts down a similar way as well. I went ahead and picked up a "used" battery from the local Walmart. They put out of date brand new batteries at a reduced price with a reduced warranty occasionally. I have had pretty good luck with them so I always try to get them for projects like this. I got the battery positioned and am still deciding how I want to hold it in place. Figured out mounting a start solenoid, ignition switch, and start switch for the compressor and ran the wires with crimp connectors after removing the insulation from the connectors and double layered heat shrinking. Basically, I spent the last couple days worth of free time doing lots of little things that take a lot of time.

When I quit this evening I had the compressor starting by the switch, and just using a 5 gallon fuel can on the trailer. The charging system on the compressor is functional now and keeps the battery topped off when the compressor runs. Been using the welder every chance I think of something I need to weld. It is a big upgrade from the old buzzbox and it is even better than the inverter welder I have, plus the inverter welder tops out at 130 amps (90 amps on a normal circuit), but this thing has the ability to run a lot more amps. I may have to borrow a clamp on amp meter to see what it is putting out.

Not much in the way of pictures with this update since it is mostly all boring work anyway.

Looking great! All the little details are what make it functional. Well done! Or doing? :nabble_smiley_wink:

That looks like a very handy setup you have now!

Maybe some weatherproof box to hold a hood, gloves, chipping hammer and brush?

Having an outlet lets you run whatever grinder or drill you might need, and the compressor will let you gouge.

I bought a cheap needle scaler at Horrid Fate last year. It is really a game changer for me.