Bullnose Forums

Fuel Line Options

After six months of sitting while I attended to numerous things on the truck, I finally fired it up today to find a nasty fuel leak. Frankly, it did not surprise me, as I've always had concerns regarding the line and the numerous connections I put in it. Basically, I have a short stem of the OEM steel line coming off the pump. From there, I have a rubber hose attached to a see through filter and a rubber hose connecting the filter to an Edelbrock fuel line. For clarification, see photos below.

I'd like to keep with my fuel pressure gauge, even if it requires changing to a different fuel line off the carb. Been looking at AN type fittings off the carb fuel line for a screw in type filter and holder for my fuel pressure gauge. See links below. Also wondering if I can run metal line (Nickel Copper) from my fuel pump up through the bracketry and into the AN fittings off the carb fuel line? Appreciate the input!

http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000630HW2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014BDDXK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Fuel_line_1.jpg.872b8758261f7f1e8184f027f883fdf1.jpg

Fuel_line_2_.jpg.368cc52456a9702e311cf5b963886a13.jpg

You can, youll need how ever a tube nut and tube nut sleeve for AN for the hardline and youll need an AN flare tool to flare the hardline.

Its what I will be doing on my truck with my EFI install.

Will be flaring the hardline on the frame to -6AN female and using -6AN male thread hose ends for my hose connections. Same will be done at the dual feed sniper stealth, will use a -6AN male Tee which I will thread my -6AN male/female take off with 1/8npt pressure gauge threads on one end then use 3/8" stainless hardline that will be flared to -6AN for connections.

You can also do quick disconnect. I thought of doing male quick disconnect for my corvette style fuel filter but thought it would be better to rigid mount the hardline and use a -6 hose end to quick disconnect to make my hardline to filter connections.

If you go the way of hose I highly recommend Earls Vapor Guard hose it comes in Carb or EFI flavors and it has a barrier that helps prevent evaporation of fuel through the hose over time. You will need how ever Earls Vaporguard hose ends how ever with a fuel injection hose clamp for the connections.

Its what I am thinking about doing for my flex couplers at the frame to engine and at the fuel filter and at the fuel tank. I think the compression hose ends with the braided line would be too stiff for use as a flex joint.

You can, youll need how ever a tube nut and tube nut sleeve for AN for the hardline and youll need an AN flare tool to flare the hardline.

Its what I will be doing on my truck with my EFI install.

Will be flaring the hardline on the frame to -6AN female and using -6AN male thread hose ends for my hose connections. Same will be done at the dual feed sniper stealth, will use a -6AN male Tee which I will thread my -6AN male/female take off with 1/8npt pressure gauge threads on one end then use 3/8" stainless hardline that will be flared to -6AN for connections.

You can also do quick disconnect. I thought of doing male quick disconnect for my corvette style fuel filter but thought it would be better to rigid mount the hardline and use a -6 hose end to quick disconnect to make my hardline to filter connections.

If you go the way of hose I highly recommend Earls Vapor Guard hose it comes in Carb or EFI flavors and it has a barrier that helps prevent evaporation of fuel through the hose over time. You will need how ever Earls Vaporguard hose ends how ever with a fuel injection hose clamp for the connections.

Its what I am thinking about doing for my flex couplers at the frame to engine and at the fuel filter and at the fuel tank. I think the compression hose ends with the braided line would be too stiff for use as a flex joint.

Thanks, Rusty! I'm considering ordering the Edelbrock fuel line below, which accommodates the AN-6 filter and subsequent fittings. From what I gather, this is 3/8 hard line, the stock line being 5/16.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000630HW2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It says that it does not work with stock fuel pumps, but I'm having a hard time believing that I can't find some kind of adapter to screw into my stock fuel pump and run 3/8 line. Going to run nickel/copper line. Thoughts?

Thanks, Rusty! I'm considering ordering the Edelbrock fuel line below, which accommodates the AN-6 filter and subsequent fittings. From what I gather, this is 3/8 hard line, the stock line being 5/16.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000630HW2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It says that it does not work with stock fuel pumps, but I'm having a hard time believing that I can't find some kind of adapter to screw into my stock fuel pump and run 3/8 line. Going to run nickel/copper line. Thoughts?

Stock lines are 5/16". What you will need is a 5/16" male inverted flare to 3/8" female inverted flare bushing/adapter. This will thread into the fuel pumps 5/16" inverted flare and allow you to use a 3/8" inverted flare tube nut to connect to the fitting.

Im doing Sniper Stealth on my truck and my plan is while I have the OE '82 saddle tank out to install a '85/'86 EFI saddle tank I want to pull the OE 5/16" fuel line off the frame and replace it with the Inline Tube 3/8" stainless steel main fuel line. I will have to cut this fuel line down as its for a long bed truck which will most likely not work on my short bed flareside. But all I personally need for my project is the hardline from the engine bay to just before the fuel tank. I will be mounting my Corvette fuel filter/pressure regulator on the frame infront of the tank where the hardline will connect to the filter. Between the fuel tank and the filter will be most likely EFI rubber line unless I can devise a way to form bulk stainless hardline to work and allow the tank to be raised/lowered by ease to get to the connections on top. On my engine while its still on the engine stand I will be using 3/8" annealed stainless steel hardline to custom bend my hardlines trying to mimic the factory routing and flare it in a 38 degree -6AN. This way I can run the hardlines straight off the -6 AN fittings on the sniper stealth to a -6 Tee to connect the front and rear lines and off this I can put my -6 AN take off fitting which houses a 1/8 npt fuel pressure port. I also seen that inline tube has the coiled spring that goes on the hardline for areas that may rub to protect it I am thinking of using that where the fuel line runs down around my dealer AC compressor bracket and powersteering pump. Only thing I havent figured out is how to rigidly mount the stainless hardline down where the mechanical fuel pump would normally go. If I could find a dummy fuel pump as a hardline connection point I would bolt one up and make my connections that way but it looks like the only way one can do that is to gut a production fuel pump and if it fails internally a 255 LPH electric fuel pump could empty my 16 gallon fuel tank into my crank case in short order which makes me wary of doing this.

But for yours, you can get an adapter to make your connections. You could get an aftermarket mechanical fuel pump as well but then youd have to make some changes.

I think running metal line up from the fuel pump, past the exhaust manifold and behind the power steering is a wise move.

Have you considered silver brazing a fitting to your copper line?

As long as it is brass (or plated brass) I don't see an issue.

Though something needs to be able to turn, so a flare nut seems in order.

IMG_20210411_115538.thumb.jpg.ebd97fb1b687d9018a24e007f9f44d78.jpg

IMG_20210411_115542.thumb.jpg.d2833c2f0d725ca2390d4ad6ebb46ba0.jpg

IMG_20210411_115550.thumb.jpg.ab696f5a368638b1f9ccff767379e5c7.jpg

IMG_20210411_115612.thumb.jpg.55799ff62f342ff5193cad2e6ecd7135.jpg