Bullnose Forums

1984 F-150 restoration, don't know what I got me into.

GAC

Hi New member here.

I bought this truck last year just because.... 2 owners low mileage and great price.

It had been sitting for 13 year and the owner was going to scrap the truck.

I know the owner and I wanted to save this truck.

It is now with license plates after new battery spark plugs rotor cap and new carb and works awesome.

I a mechanic but have never made car shine again and really don't know how.

There is very little rust in this truck except surface rust.

I found this forum from a guy that did watch my youtube video, what a gold mine this forum is.

I would like to know what you would do with this truck.

In my mind this truck should be restored into original state same color but would like 2 tone on the side.

Give me your opinion or guidance

Regards

AAF150_1.thumb.jpg.a55896e891d611213f01ed3a989c84a7.jpgF150_2.thumb.jpg.0ddac78c44be7cc0e0a966953d994c5f.jpgF150_3.thumb.jpg.f511da3d26cb62444ec4b03e6c057c08.jpg

Welcome to the Garage!

Truck looks to have some good bones.

Well "Give me your opinion or guidance" is going to be all over the place with answers.

We will need a little back ground first.

What is the final plan for the truck? Work truck full of tools and parts for a job, a nice driver, or a show truck?

What is your skill level, what tools do you have to work with and the area to do the work in.

This all will play out on the final out come of the truck.

I bought my truck to do weekly trash runs with and paid to much for it in my eyes.

Well it needed patches on the floor & rockers and for me it was easier to pull the cab and that snowballed into a full on cab off frame rebuild over 4 years. I also found a lot of safety issues that I would have found down the road at a later date.

12-15-2015

8020Left20Rear001.jpg.62409b37a485ae19e51a0c6e49867664.jpg

12-29-2015

20151229_180005.jpg.f5312e5e294f9d781b57c8cbf7c88f3e.jpg

1-2-2016 just how bad the floors, rockers, cab corners were in

20160102_175317.jpg.ac68ca26761e24308de676bd066fb984.jpg

2/27/2020 just after a wash.

20200227_161133.jpg.54e8553804d4fce1337de642157583d2.jpg

I did all the work myself so I have the tools, work area and the skill to do it all.

And the plate to show that LOL

20200410_135455.jpg.0c528215c134a98d35f0bad376b93fba.jpg

I have also added some custom touches only someone that knows the trucks would pick out (duel tanks, custom metal bed floor, custom bumpers).

I built it to be a nice driver and drive it to / from work, 37 miles each way and if it rains oh well, load it with the weekly trash (that I need to do today yet). I would like to take it to a show but we got hit with this virus so no shows since back on the road.

So a lot depends on the first questions I asked for me to "Give my opinion or guidance" but am willing to do so.

Dave ----

Welcome to the Garage!

Truck looks to have some good bones.

Well "Give me your opinion or guidance" is going to be all over the place with answers.

We will need a little back ground first.

What is the final plan for the truck? Work truck full of tools and parts for a job, a nice driver, or a show truck?

What is your skill level, what tools do you have to work with and the area to do the work in.

This all will play out on the final out come of the truck.

I bought my truck to do weekly trash runs with and paid to much for it in my eyes.

Well it needed patches on the floor & rockers and for me it was easier to pull the cab and that snowballed into a full on cab off frame rebuild over 4 years. I also found a lot of safety issues that I would have found down the road at a later date.

12-15-2015

12-29-2015

1-2-2016 just how bad the floors, rockers, cab corners were in

2/27/2020 just after a wash.

I did all the work myself so I have the tools, work area and the skill to do it all.

And the plate to show that LOL

I have also added some custom touches only someone that knows the trucks would pick out (duel tanks, custom metal bed floor, custom bumpers).

I built it to be a nice driver and drive it to / from work, 37 miles each way and if it rains oh well, load it with the weekly trash (that I need to do today yet). I would like to take it to a show but we got hit with this virus so no shows since back on the road.

So a lot depends on the first questions I asked for me to "Give my opinion or guidance" but am willing to do so.

Dave ----

Hi

Here is my skill level: I'm educated as a marine engineer.

I have all tools in the world.

Mechanical never been a problem.

Garage no problem.

Build stuff never been a problem, welding, engines and carpeting never a problem.

Painting small stuff no problem.

My biggest problem: lack of patient. Little worried if I take it part I will never put it together.

What I want for this truck to be: almost like original and be proud of him.

Thank you so much for replying to me.

Regards

AA

Hi

Here is my skill level: I'm educated as a marine engineer.

I have all tools in the world.

Mechanical never been a problem.

Garage no problem.

Build stuff never been a problem, welding, engines and carpeting never a problem.

Painting small stuff no problem.

My biggest problem: lack of patient. Little worried if I take it part I will never put it together.

What I want for this truck to be: almost like original and be proud of him.

Thank you so much for replying to me.

Regards

AA

Welcome!

As Dave said, everyone has what they like. With the heavy patina and a good color to go with it, I wouldn't want to lose that.

I've seen others talk about sealing it so it doesn't turn into significant rust but can't really speak to how well that works of the longevity of it.

With the heavy patina and a good color to go with it, I wouldn't want to lose that.

I've seen others talk about sealing it so it doesn't turn into significant rust but can't really speak to how well that works of the longevity of it.

This truck has wicked patina...I think I'm with Scott here. I'd almost want to leave it like that. Oh...and GAC...have you priced a paint job yet??....OMG...get a couple quotes and they may very well help you decide what direction to go with it.

Cool truck though. I like it. I've seen where lots and lots of people have sealed up that surface rust and on some trucks it looks great. Like Scott above me though, I know nothing about it.

Oh...and don't feel bad about what you've gotten yourself into...haha, I go through it in waves and wonder OMG what did I do...this is insane...then I calm down and get back to work (sometimes after a break haha).

Welcome!

As Dave said, everyone has what they like. With the heavy patina and a good color to go with it, I wouldn't want to lose that.

Hi

So many people have told me to have him patina and look like it is.

I'm a old school guy. normally I want to have it shiny But never say never.

One thing is with to have it patina is, it is so easy just little cleaning and clear coat.

Uff it is so difficult to decide. One thing with make it patina is l can change it later on when i have more time to strip it down and make it shiny.

No decision made yet so I'm open for all suggestions.

Thank you

AA

Hi

So many people have told me to have him patina and look like it is.

I'm a old school guy. normally I want to have it shiny But never say never.

One thing is with to have it patina is, it is so easy just little cleaning and clear coat.

Uff it is so difficult to decide. One thing with make it patina is l can change it later on when i have more time to strip it down and make it shiny.

No decision made yet so I'm open for all suggestions.

Thank you

AA

As you can tell I am the type that likes paint & shiny! Coming from a body & paint family I guess is why?

I hear you on getting started on something then not following through.

I have 1 project I been working on, mostly not LOL, for about 30 years now.

One of the things for me on a project is it has to move under its own power most of the time.

If I can move it I am hopeful I will stay working on it. There was maybe 2 weeks where the pick up could not be rolled out and not long after under its own power.

I have also found making a list on a white board of what I wanted to do would keep me on track also.

When a job was done put a line through it but leave it on the board. This way you can see what you have done and the jobs are getting shorter. Once all done then remove them and start a new list.

If you were to remove a done job and add another it looks like you never did anything and the list just keeps going on!

I would also say pick small jobs to put on the board at first and maybe only 3 or 4 so you don't become overwhelmed.

On the paint or painting if that's what you want to do.

Unless the paint on the truck is flaking off or has a lot of paint jobs on it, it dose not have to go down to bare metal. I would do the needed body work, sand down the rust area and treat it with a converter and then prime & paint.

As for paint if you cant do it yourself do you have a Macco or the like by you? Some of there paint jobs are not that bad but you have to do the body work and prep, all they do is mask off what you don't remove and paint it.

Dave ----