Bullnose Forums

tips on installing rear fuel tank

Are there any ways to simplify what appears to be a PITA?

Attaching the filler hose looks to be a difficult part, as it looks like there is not good access to the worm screw clamp once the tank is in place.

Thanks.

Having done it fairly recently I can confirm that it is a pain.

I used ratchet straps to slowly bring the tank and skid plates up together. That gave me a little bit of room to work to get the fuel filler aligned and the fuel and vent lines on the tank. But it is close, and not something I want to do again.

Others have said it is easier to raise the bed and do the work that way. But that assumes that your bed bolts come off nicely and that you don't have a big tool box in the tank - like I do. However, if I have to do it again I'll consider that as it certainly was a pain.

Yeah, these trucks got assembled, then the bed bolted on.

It is a challenge to fish the hose up through the frame, and even more of a challenge to make absolutely sure the vent hose is in place.

Because if you miss that you will be cursing the truck every time you go to the gas station.

(Ask any of us)

It is a challenge to fish the hose up through the frame, and even more of a challenge to make absolutely sure the vent hose is in place.

Because if you miss that you will be cursing the truck every time you go to the gas station.

(Ask any of us)

Amen, brother!

(Ask any of us)

Amen, brother!

Echoing the "it's a pain" sentiment.

Once the hose is on there try a nut driver or socket on an extension.

I guess one could apply some lubrication to the tank port that would make it easier.

Echoing the "it's a pain" sentiment.

Once the hose is on there try a nut driver or socket on an extension.

I guess one could apply some lubrication to the tank port that would make it easier.

What I have done (keep in mind Darth is a DRW truck) is to remove the main hose from the filler neck and install it on the rear tank nipple with the tank far enough up it will go on, but low enough that I can get a 1/4" drive 5/16" short socket and ratchet on the clamp. I have 1990 tanks so my fill is the inner plastic tube and the hose is the vent. This means I do not have to coax the plastic vent of the 1986 system through the ring in the tank nipple.

After the inner end of the hose is secured, I start it over the filler neck and finish raising the tank up till I can reach and connect the electrical plug on the top front of the tank. My EVAP hoses are 3/8" to the canister and a 1/4" that goes back to the rear cross member with a small vent cap. I pull both of those out and connect the EVAP hose before finishing the tank mounting straps. Once it is in place I secure the outer hose to the filler neck and if needed (if I had to take it off) reattach the filler neck to floor of the bed.