Bullnose Forums

'80 exhaust pipe/system

MrRy

So, last year during the covid crisis I drove my truck from Mobile A.l. to O.K.C.

During the trip the old tractor muffler exploded, I speculate that the duraspark box cut out for 3 sec on the highway, or my finicky ignition switch flipped back for the same interval.

Ignition power died out , came back and there was a LOUD exhaust backfire that split open the muffler.

I've since replaced the muffler with a length of stainless tube I had acquired from the scrap bin at work.

In doing so, I noticed there is no catalyst in the exhaust, is this normal for this year?

I doubt my grandfather removed it if there was one, and my brother never spoke about one.

Also, can anyone recommend a header that fits well? Considering the manual clutch linkage and front crossmember.

Thanks.

RY.

Im not the guy to answer your question but I know my truck has a hood sticker that says "non catalyst" emissions so maybe they didnt hqve cats from the factory like you said.

That’s a quick way to know, if you have your emissions sticker still.

Hard to say as some had them some didnt. My '78 Mercury has converters but if the car had dual exhaust from the factory the converters were omitted.

For the trucks I am sure there was instances where converters were omitted as well.

The sticker is the best way to tell if its original to the truck it will state catalysts.

I am actually making a replacement sticker in photoshop for my truck to replace my original one. Only difference is I am making alterations to reflect the current setup of the new engine without emission systems which doesnt matter as these trucks are emission exempt in majority of the country due to age.