Bullnose Forums

Nv4500 trans swap? Anyone have any insight?

MrRy

Last time I priced a gear vendors, they seemed a bit spicy for the pocket book and they seemed to only be applicable for a 2wd.

I may be completely mistaken....

A Gear Vendors can go on the rear output of a transfer case and be used in a 4WD vehicle. But since it's only on the rear driveline it can't be used in 4WD.

Whether that's acceptable to you or not is up to you.

Came here to say the same as Bob - they are made to go on both 2wd and 4wd (I have one on each) they just don't work in 4wd.

Maybe I missed it but what is your goal? Is it purely getting overdrive?

Came here to say the same as Bob - they are made to go on both 2wd and 4wd (I have one on each) they just don't work in 4wd.

Maybe I missed it but what is your goal? Is it purely getting overdrive?

My end goal in my many questions in several posts regarding the 5sp swap is to 1) have a more usable first gear.

2) achieve lower engine rpm for sustained highway driving @ 65mph

3) improve mpg from the abysmal 6-9 im currently achieving, improved from my starting 4 mpg @45mph

4) Not cut up floor pans, or irreversibly alter the structure of the cab, frame, or overall look of this particular truck.

If you search my new members post you may gain some insight into the value to me regarding this one singular truck.

I have many many more questions, thoughts and ideas I would love to continue to aggravate all of you folks with.

Thanks.

Ryan

Ryan

Last time I priced a gear vendors, they seemed a bit spicy for the pocket book and they seemed to only be applicable for a 2wd.

I may be completely mistaken....

A Gear Vendors can go on the rear output of a transfer case and be used in a 4WD vehicle. But since it's only on the rear driveline it can't be used in 4WD.

Whether that's acceptable to you or not is up to you.

Maybe I did not say it but you are right.

The GV can be used in a 4x4 truck just NOT in 4x4 mode.

Now some say you would not be going that fast in 4x4 to have to worry about high RPM or MPG where the GV would be used for mostly.

For me having a 300 six and using it as a back up to pull my open deck car trailer, around 5000 lb, I like that I can split each gear if need be. I can tell just driving it that splitting 3rd before going into 4th direct is the way I would need to go when pulling a heavy load. The spread between 3rd & 4th on my NP435 is pretty big.

Dave ----