Bullnose Forums

Weatherstripping - which part first?

Yes, good work!

No, I don't think you can find the interior trim pieces new. Maybe NOS, but not new plastic. So all of it is brittle.

But you can repair it and paint it and probably not see the problem.

The passenger side has a big chunk missing, but probably going to put a grab handle there for the wife anyway. Not going to worry over those pieces I think. Is there a section in the docs on how to remove those easily? I found a couple screws but the seem to bed locked together somehow.

The passenger side has a big chunk missing, but probably going to put a grab handle there for the wife anyway. Not going to worry over those pieces I think. Is there a section in the docs on how to remove those easily? I found a couple screws but the seem to bed locked together somehow.

No, there's no section on removing the trim. Or, none I'm aware of. But I can't get to the lower screw w/o pulling the dash cover. And the A-pillar trim tucks under the trim above the door, if you have that, so it needs to be pulled first.

No, there's no section on removing the trim. Or, none I'm aware of. But I can't get to the lower screw w/o pulling the dash cover. And the A-pillar trim tucks under the trim above the door, if you have that, so it needs to be pulled first.

Ditto... Had to pull all of that when doing the weather stripping. The metal tracks between plastic sections can be a pain... not looking forward to when I finally fix my nightmare of a headliner :nabble_smiley_oh_no:.

Yep the dash pad must come out. But it's thankfully only 11 screws if I counted right. Just don't drop any down the defrost vents!

Good job on the weather stripping.

My doors were all apart, for years, and the kit I got had everything so I started with the vents window seals first so I could install them.

Once the vent frame was installed I did the main window seals and the outer sweep, have not done the inners yet as I want to replace the door panels.

The door seal was easy but had to trim is shorter NBD.

I have not added the little rubber wind noise strip at the top corner and should as I do get some noise from there but its a truck not a Cady!

I reused the rear glass rubber seal as it was in good shape and if I ever get a slider I will use the new seal with it. I did install the rear glass by myself but was not to hard but I have done rubber seal glass installs before on VW bugs.

Front glass dose not use a rubber seal on our trucks it is Butyl tape from the factory and what I used.

Others like to use glue that is used on the newer cars & trucks.

Dave ----

Good job on the weather stripping.

My doors were all apart, for years, and the kit I got had everything so I started with the vents window seals first so I could install them.

Once the vent frame was installed I did the main window seals and the outer sweep, have not done the inners yet as I want to replace the door panels.

The door seal was easy but had to trim is shorter NBD.

I have not added the little rubber wind noise strip at the top corner and should as I do get some noise from there but its a truck not a Cady!

I reused the rear glass rubber seal as it was in good shape and if I ever get a slider I will use the new seal with it. I did install the rear glass by myself but was not to hard but I have done rubber seal glass installs before on VW bugs.

Front glass dose not use a rubber seal on our trucks it is Butyl tape from the factory and what I used.

Others like to use glue that is used on the newer cars & trucks.

Dave ----

I thought my vents are in pretty good shape. Funny though, when I took it around the block ( I do this EVERYTIME I do something LOL). The pass side is still windy, but NOW I have a whistle at the vent window. My AC isn't working, so that will be open when I drive it so really doesn't matter. And I could put a matchbook shim in there or something. I've seen that so many times before. It's like a normal add on.

I don't know when I'll get new door panels so I may or may not do those now. I do need new liners btw the panels and metal. May just cut some poly sheet. I still need speakers in there, too so I still have inner door work to do.

I'm going to do both sides and see if it really needs the extra strip - may just hold off - as you said, it's a truck. Although I did mention to my wife last night we should get a power Lincoln Town Car seat... :nabble_smiley_grin:

I thought my vents are in pretty good shape. Funny though, when I took it around the block ( I do this EVERYTIME I do something LOL). The pass side is still windy, but NOW I have a whistle at the vent window. My AC isn't working, so that will be open when I drive it so really doesn't matter. And I could put a matchbook shim in there or something. I've seen that so many times before. It's like a normal add on.

I don't know when I'll get new door panels so I may or may not do those now. I do need new liners btw the panels and metal. May just cut some poly sheet. I still need speakers in there, too so I still have inner door work to do.

I'm going to do both sides and see if it really needs the extra strip - may just hold off - as you said, it's a truck. Although I did mention to my wife last night we should get a power Lincoln Town Car seat... :nabble_smiley_grin:

Being I am the only one that drives my truck, well maybe my son, the seat dose not move so no need to replace the seat with a power one LOL.

I cant remember if I added the plastic sheet to the door before the panel went on? Don't think I did because it was giving me fits trimming it and gave up.

I did add "peel & stick" (roof sealer from hard ware store) it the outside door panel when I had the door open up. This makes the door a little more solid sounding when closing and helps the radio sound from the door speakers not so tinny.

You don't need to do the full panel with the strips. I only did 2 passes and happy with the out came.

Only other thing I might do when panel is off is to get cups or buckets that the speakers fit in and then into the door. They keep water off the back side of the speaker and help the sound go into the cab and not the inner door.

Dave ----

Forgot, on the AC, mine just stopped working and need to fix before it gets hot here.

If you can find a non-AC truck and pull the kick panels off for your truck you just need to pull yours off, undo the 4 screws holding the metal blank off plate in place and add the non-AC kick panels.

My truck did not have AC so it had the vents in place and not knowing when I was going to get my AC working I kept them. The AC parts came from my parts truck with a firewall swap.

Well yesterday on the way home from work I opened them and with the door glass down was a nice drive home.

Being I am the only one that drives my truck, well maybe my son, the seat dose not move so no need to replace the seat with a power one LOL.

I cant remember if I added the plastic sheet to the door before the panel went on? Don't think I did because it was giving me fits trimming it and gave up.

I did add "peel & stick" (roof sealer from hard ware store) it the outside door panel when I had the door open up. This makes the door a little more solid sounding when closing and helps the radio sound from the door speakers not so tinny.

You don't need to do the full panel with the strips. I only did 2 passes and happy with the out came.

Only other thing I might do when panel is off is to get cups or buckets that the speakers fit in and then into the door. They keep water off the back side of the speaker and help the sound go into the cab and not the inner door.

Dave ----

Forgot, on the AC, mine just stopped working and need to fix before it gets hot here.

If you can find a non-AC truck and pull the kick panels off for your truck you just need to pull yours off, undo the 4 screws holding the metal blank off plate in place and add the non-AC kick panels.

My truck did not have AC so it had the vents in place and not knowing when I was going to get my AC working I kept them. The AC parts came from my parts truck with a firewall swap.

Well yesterday on the way home from work I opened them and with the door glass down was a nice drive home.

I just want a new seat - I was looking at a Town Car on FB Mktplace when I said that. The old velour pillow seats. LOL. I'd also settle for a nice plain bench. My wife can drive a stick, but not sure she'll ever want to drive the truck. She has fun in her son's Roush Mustang though everything is close and tight. I wish I had his exhaust note on my truck.

That's all in "someday" pile. I want to get everything I've ordered done and see where the truck is then. That will be "Gen 1" or V1.0, whatever. About 2 more weeks and that will be it for a spell. I'll need to sell some things on ebay to gather more cash I guess.

I just want a new seat - I was looking at a Town Car on FB Mktplace when I said that. The old velour pillow seats. LOL. I'd also settle for a nice plain bench. My wife can drive a stick, but not sure she'll ever want to drive the truck. She has fun in her son's Roush Mustang though everything is close and tight. I wish I had his exhaust note on my truck.

That's all in "someday" pile. I want to get everything I've ordered done and see where the truck is then. That will be "Gen 1" or V1.0, whatever. About 2 more weeks and that will be it for a spell. I'll need to sell some things on ebay to gather more cash I guess.

My wife can drive stick either.

I may if she wants to teach her on the truck, not my car as I got to much into the rebuilt trans & the clutch for her to hurt it.

Truck clutch is easy to change if I have to and if she can hurt the NP435 then it was bad to start LOL.

Now that I have the carb issues fixed, for now, I need to find & fix the oil leak and get the AC working again, then I think I am set for the summer.

On my AC I don't know if I will send it out for evac and fix or just put more in it?

Think 1 of the O-rings at the compressor fitting is bad as I see oil at that spot.

Dave ----

My wife can drive stick either.

I may if she wants to teach her on the truck, not my car as I got to much into the rebuilt trans & the clutch for her to hurt it.

Truck clutch is easy to change if I have to and if she can hurt the NP435 then it was bad to start LOL.

Now that I have the carb issues fixed, for now, I need to find & fix the oil leak and get the AC working again, then I think I am set for the summer.

On my AC I don't know if I will send it out for evac and fix or just put more in it?

Think 1 of the O-rings at the compressor fitting is bad as I see oil at that spot.

Dave ----

I think I need to get into the dash and see what's going on with the cables - they operate like 40 y/o cables would, stiff and imprecise. PO says it just needs a charge - may have it checked when it gets warmer. And I don't drive the truck everyday, so we might make it a while.

My wife has short legs, not sure the clutch will ever be her friend in this truck. Her son's Mustang is pretty short throw on everything so she can drive it when he needs her to help move it around occasionally. And he used to borrow her Tucson and she'd drive the Mustang for a few days. But the truck is a whole other animal.

I'm happy that so far, the driveline on this truck is trouble free (knock wood).