Bullnose Forums

Hubcap painting/replacement suggestions

I won't know until I see the new hubcaps...

I just got a chance to look at the new caps - those look pretty good. If there aren't any major issues, those might well be worth clearing to protect them as much as possible. I don't know exactly, but preserve those for sure. And yes removing them before any pressure washing may help preserve them more.

I just got a chance to look at the new caps - those look pretty good. If there aren't any major issues, those might well be worth clearing to protect them as much as possible. I don't know exactly, but preserve those for sure. And yes removing them before any pressure washing may help preserve them more.

I would definitely consider the UV filtering wheel clear, like sold by Duplicolor.

It is tough and builds quickly.

But if your problem is the paint coming off the plastic I don't think it is a cure.

The plastic is always going to flex and expand with heat.

I would definitely consider the UV filtering wheel clear, like sold by Duplicolor.

But if your problem is the paint coming off the plastic I don't think it is a cure.

Will do. See below.

---

This is what my rims look like, bare:

IMG_20210403_1536521.jpg.824e01a8daf3094ee494e1d5b5eaec55.jpg

...even if cleaned up, with my trim, factory-correct dog dishes would clash and not look right.

Anyway, the hubcaps came in... not perfect (some paint fade starting), but they look good on the truck:

Especially compared to what came off:

Keeping my old ones... rather than mix & match pieces, I may see what I can do to (eventually) paint my old ones and epoxy up the cracked areas. This isn't a show truck, and honestly, the ones I bought are good enough as-is for my uses (other than coating them, perhaps). The bit of fade might count as "patina"? :nabble_smiley_teeth: I'll just be sure to skip the wheel cleaning at the car wash!

IMG_20210403_1547041.thumb.jpg.d065f9c058a83a57036a458bc21a997e.jpg

IMG_20210403_1548071.thumb.jpg.bbb5be69a8b035bf046789afe8dd15ff.jpg

IMG_20210403_1546441.thumb.jpg.59f932e767de44cbaad84014b2d25aa2.jpg

Will do. See below.

---

This is what my rims look like, bare:

...even if cleaned up, with my trim, factory-correct dog dishes would clash and not look right.

Anyway, the hubcaps came in... not perfect (some paint fade starting), but they look good on the truck:

Especially compared to what came off:

Keeping my old ones... rather than mix & match pieces, I may see what I can do to (eventually) paint my old ones and epoxy up the cracked areas. This isn't a show truck, and honestly, the ones I bought are good enough as-is for my uses (other than coating them, perhaps). The bit of fade might count as "patina"? :nabble_smiley_teeth: I'll just be sure to skip the wheel cleaning at the car wash!

Looks great. Again. There is a lot to be said for the stock look on a lot of these trucks.