Bullnose Forums

Hubcap painting/replacement suggestions

Wait! You're in NC? I can't find you on the member map. Where are you? I'm in Mt Airy, up by the VA border, straight north of Charlotte.

I don't think I am on the map, Angier / Benson line, McGee's Cross Roads (27501 if Gary wants to add me), about 30 min from Raleigh.

I have been up your way on a few LP / propane runs when my co. sends me that way.

Yesterday 1 of my 3 loads was to Sneads Ferry, so they send me all over NC.

Dave ----

I don't think I am on the map, Angier / Benson line, McGee's Cross Roads (27501 if Gary wants to add me), about 30 min from Raleigh.

I have been up your way on a few LP / propane runs when my co. sends me that way.

Dave ----

Cool. Our company does convenience store renovations all over the Southeast so we have places we've worked all around you. Hit me up if you're ever up this way.

Exactly... although there isn't much of it left!

From what I'm seeing it's supposed to be (for the plastics) metallic charcoal in the center, black in the "square" outer holes, and metallic silver everywhere else. Lots of masking... yay... :nabble_sarcastic-23_orig:

https://hubcapmike.com/replica-wheel-covers/ford-hubcaps/ford-truck-hubcaps/?sort=newest&page=2 He has your covers listed - $89/set new but out of stock. You might check and see if they are getting more.

http://devriesspecialties.com/Ford-Truck-15-Inch-Silver-Hubcap-Chrome-Accents-p2376.html

They keep getting higher and higher. https://www.hubcapzone.com/784.html

Dave ----

Sorry, Dave. Didn't realize you weren't on the map. But you are now. :nabble_smiley_good:

Nice!

Funny thing is I'll be out that way in TN the week after next- literally one or two towns over (Jackson, TN, and Henderson, TN), but it will be for work with a shared van. With my ex-boss no less... :nabble_smiley_oh_no:. I once rehomed a car on a company trip and that was a HUGE mistake. Lucky I didn't get fired by said former boss... he was fuming. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig: . My career (as an automotive manufacturing engineer) is worth more than $25 in shipping.

Anyway... surprisingly, my wife is OK with this... the center caps have some dents, but I can transfer the undented ones of my existing hubcaps (just some folded metal tabs, easy enough?. Deal. Bought.

Would it be a good idea to try to clearcoat these or something to prevent flaking? Or should I pull my hubcaps the next time I go to the automatic carwash? Or maybe skip those... I was trying to get all the winter salt off, and clear some nasty black junk off the hood that's been there since I bought it (never been to the car wash due to the bad door seals in the other thread). My mirrors ripped a couple fingers off one of the brushes, so I really dunno... This isn't exactly a candidate for a fine clay bar & wax treatment.

---

Figured out why the dog dishes didn't look right in my head (and why the plastic ones do). The Aluminum side trim matches the trim on the plastic hubcaps. Part of the same exterior trim options? If I had a plain body (no trim, one color), then dog dishes would look probably look right and likely would have been what came on such.

Nice!

Funny thing is I'll be out that way in TN the week after next- literally one or two towns over (Jackson, TN, and Henderson, TN), but it will be for work with a shared van. With my ex-boss no less... :nabble_smiley_oh_no:. I once rehomed a car on a company trip and that was a HUGE mistake. Lucky I didn't get fired by said former boss... he was fuming. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig: . My career (as an automotive manufacturing engineer) is worth more than $25 in shipping.

Anyway... surprisingly, my wife is OK with this... the center caps have some dents, but I can transfer the undented ones of my existing hubcaps (just some folded metal tabs, easy enough?. Deal. Bought.

Would it be a good idea to try to clearcoat these or something to prevent flaking? Or should I pull my hubcaps the next time I go to the automatic carwash? Or maybe skip those... I was trying to get all the winter salt off, and clear some nasty black junk off the hood that's been there since I bought it (never been to the car wash due to the bad door seals in the other thread). My mirrors ripped a couple fingers off one of the brushes, so I really dunno... This isn't exactly a candidate for a fine clay bar & wax treatment.

---

Figured out why the dog dishes didn't look right in my head (and why the plastic ones do). The Aluminum side trim matches the trim on the plastic hubcaps. Part of the same exterior trim options? If I had a plain body (no trim, one color), then dog dishes would look probably look right and likely would have been what came on such.

On a side note, I have relatives in Henderson TN. My aunt worked for Buford Pusser.

Nice!

---

Yes after blowing the paint off, of definitely be careful with pressure washer type car washes.

If paint is chipping, it will continue to chip. Clear coat might seal it in for a while, but it's probably going to continue.

On a side note, I have relatives in Henderson TN. My aunt worked for Buford Pusser.

In my case, Arvin Sango. Tier 1 Toyota and Nissan supplier. We're based in Madison, IN (owned by Sango of Japan), but have a satellite plant in Henderson serving our Mississippi, Tennessee, and (soon) Alabama customers. New things being launched soon... and my old department arranged to borrow my services for a week. Yay...

On a side note (to this side note), that trip will mark my 5th anniversary for working at Arvin Sango. Ironically enough, my first company trip (a few weeks into the new job) was indeed a trip to Henderson, on a now defunct (and removed) project. Since that project, I haven't been back to Henderson... I've come full circle?

Yes after blowing the paint off, of definitely be careful with pressure washer type car washes.

If paint is chipping, it will continue to chip. Clear coat might seal it in for a while, but it's probably going to continue.

I won't know until I see the new hubcaps...